Official Review: Betsy and Catherine by Helen Gailey

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lavellan
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 36
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Official Review: Betsy and Catherine by Helen Gailey

Post by lavellan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Betsy and Catherine" by Helen Gailey.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tales from 19th century Britain often focus on the luxurious lives of the upper class. Very rarely do we get to see the struggles of the poor and working classes within that time period. Betsy and Catherine, written by Helen Gailey, offers a refreshing look into the divide between the classes. The novel opens with a flashback showing the lifelong friendship of a servant and a highborn girl. Betsy was born into the serving class; however, her relationship with Catherine, the daughter of her masters, opens her up to new opportunities. The pair are inseparable and devoted to each other. The strength of their friendship is tested when they are falsely accused of stealing and sentenced to a life of servitude in Australia. Their story crosses continents and oceans, showing the value of unconditional love and loyalty.

Gailey provides an eye-opening overview of the mistreatment of the poor and the divide between Britain’s classes. Catherine’s status as a highborn lady made her reactions toward the conditions of her fellow prisoners more telling. As she led a sheltered life, Catherine never had to consider how the lower classes lived until she was falsely accused and imprisoned. I also found Betsy and Catherine’s journey to Australia to be fascinating. While I was aware that Australia was colonized by convicts, I always assumed that they were deserving of this punishment. I did not consider that many of them were actually innocent or only guilty of a petty crime. It was saddening to read how some women were humiliated and starved just for stealing food to feed their families.

Despite the interesting premise, there were some major drawbacks. One of the most jarring to me was the transition from Catherine‚Äôs journal to Betsy‚Äôs perspective. Narration from Catherine would abruptly end with a phrase like ‚ÄúBetsy closed the journal.‚ÄĚ I feel that a better way to handle this would be to either separate the perspectives by starting a new chapter or including a clear line break. This also brings me to another issue: inconsistency of the point of view. Typically, narration told from Betsy‚Äôs point of view was in first person. When transitioning from Catherine‚Äôs perspective to Betsy‚Äôs, third person point of view was uncharacteristically applied to Betsy‚Äôs perspective. This was most likely done to differentiate the perspectives of both characters, but the inconsistency was confusing. Incorporating one of the possible improvements I noted earlier would help in correcting this issue.

I noticed a multitude of errors while reading Betsy and Catherine. They were significant enough to indicate that the book has not yet been professionally edited. Most of them consisted of missing apostrophes and improper word usage. One error that stood out to me was the misnaming of Catherine. She was incorrectly referred to as Emma by Betsy.

I rate Betsy and Catherine 2 out of 4 stars. I was torn between a two and a three for this book. While the premise was novel and interesting, I ultimately decided on a two because of the numerous errors and jarring switch in perspectives. Those who are looking for a story that is reminiscent of the classics of the 19th century would most enjoy Gailey’s work. Readers who are looking for an action-packed or shocking tale should look elsewhere.

Betsy and Catherine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

ElizaBeth Adams
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: The Sleeper by Martha Roddy

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

The premise of this does sound interesting. It is too bad about the grammatical errors and the inconsistencies in the perspective switch. Changing perspectives is such a great technique when done well. Thanks for your thoughts.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Unforseen
Bookshelf Size: 447
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Live Your Purpose by Rick Heyland

Post by kdstrack »

The plot for this story sounds fascinating. The problems with the point of view and the numerous errors would be a drawback for any reader. Thanks for your honest review of this book. (I would have struggled with the rating, too.)

Nickolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Nickolas Farmakis »

Great review! You included your opinion on the book and the summary of the book. Well done!

sanjus
2019 Reading Goal: 21
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: Maybe: My Memoir by Renee Minus White
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus »

Nice premise with 19th century Britain with focus on the luxurious lives of the upper class in the Novel "Betsy and Catherine" by Helen Gailey, which gives a refreshing look into the divide between the classes.
The novel depicts the lifelong friendship of a servant and a highborn girl. This book should be an entertaining read.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.

Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

I am intrigued by this stories unique take on the classes and the judicial system of the time. I'm going to add it to my shelves!
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:

Return to ‚ÄúHistorical Fiction‚ÄĚ