Official Review: South Carolina Upcountry: Early Years to...

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Official Review: South Carolina Upcountry: Early Years to...

Post by Renu G »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "South Carolina Upcountry: Early Years to 1860" by Jim Fayssoux.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

South Carolina Upcountry: Early Years to 1860 is a work of historical fiction authored by Jim Fayssoux. It is an interesting, thrilling, and terrifying read. Those who are tenderhearted will be unable to bear the violence and brutality described in the book.

The story goes back to South Carolina when it was inhabited by Indians. I was amazed reading about the rivalry between the Catawba and Cherokee tribes, which turned into a comradeship after the killing of a dangerous bear. Gradually, the land was occupied by Europeans who destroyed the forests. Indians and settlers raided each other with vengeance. The author has written about the horrifying killing of an adolescent settler, by an Indian, in 1780. I cannot provide more information without spoiling the read, but it is the most painful part of the entire novel. After this, the British had taken charge of South Carolina. Indians were divided in their loyalty to the King and attacked each other. Readers may enjoy the description of Indian rituals of exorcism and healing. These tribes still exist.

My favorite personality in the novel is Jane Bullock, a tomboy of mixed origin, who is an expert at sewing wounds of the injured. Another girl is She Pony, an expert horse rider of mixed origin, who helps with the delivery of a boy named James Bee. This book is the first in a trilogy about the Bee family. It seems to have been thoroughly researched. The themes running through the novel are embellished with vivid and creative descriptions of the scenes. Jim seems to have the knack of entertaining the reader, despite his attention to details. However, the book is full of dialogues in vernacular English that become irritating to read after a few pages.

After reading this book, I wonder what is the author’s purpose. Although he wants to preserve the memory of his ancestors, is he trying to show the gallantry of native Indians or the courage of settlers from Europe? Killings and retaliation are found in both the groups, but I failed to get a clear picture of the message being conveyed. Nevertheless, it is a good blend of historical facts and fiction.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It seems to have been well-edited, and I found a few typos related to the author’s style. I did not give a higher rating due to the reasons mentioned above. I did not give a lower rating because it is an informative and entertaining read. It may appeal to historians, teachers, and people who like to read historical fiction. It is not meant for children because of the theme of violence.

South Carolina Upcountry: Early Years to 1860
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

Great review! You have included your opinion and have critically assessed the contents of the book.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

It seems as if the author would benefit much from an editor's help to iron out the range of issues. Still, it seems like a good read. Thanks for the review!
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

After reading this book, I wonder what is the author’s purpose. Although he wants to preserve the memory of his ancestors, is he trying to show the gallantry of native Indians or the courage of settlers from Europe? Killings and retaliation are found in both the groups, but I failed to get a clear picture of the message being conveyed.
Maybe he simply acknowledges that both existed. History is often - maybe usually - told with an agenda. But it sounds as if he's just telling it how it was.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The book does seem to have more than a fair share of violence. It does interest me since we lived in South Carolina for two years. Thanks for the recommendation. This is one that I would be interested in reading.
Joy35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy35.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Joy35 »

I am very interested in this book. I live in the Lowcountry of SC and love the rich history here. I do appreciate the warning on the heartbreaking violence. Even though we know it happened on all sides during this tumultuous time, it can still be a shock reading the graphic details. Thank you for the recommendation!

Return to “Historical Fiction”