Official Review: Germaine: Requiem of a Soul

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Official Review: Germaine: Requiem of a Soul

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Germaine: Requiem of a Soul" by Andrew St-James.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Germaine: Requiem of a Soul by Andrew St. James is considered the true story of Cinderella. It tells the story of Saint Germaine of Pibrac, France. The author used factual accounts for the basis of this story.

Germaine Cousin’s mother died when she was very young. Her father went on a business trip and came back with a new wife and three stepdaughters. Since Germaine was born with a limp arm and scrofula (“an infection of the lymph nodes of the neck that develops into bluish-purple abscesses that often leak”) her stepmother, Armande, was repulsed by her. Armande worried that she was contagious and that she would infect her daughters. Germaine was banished to the barn and was no longer allowed to eat or sleep with the family. This was just the start of the torture inflicted by her stepfamily. Germaine kept a God-loving spirit throughout her punishments. Her mother had instilled in her a true faith that few could understand. Germaine inspired others to repent their sins and find their own trust in God.

I was inspired by the story of Germaine. Her life was simple. Her troubles were many. Yet, she managed to believe in God’s love in an everlasting and inspiring way. My favorite part was how she gave her meager rations of bread to those that needed it more. She knew her family ate well. She knew that her stepsisters had a comfortable life. Still, she never envied them and always found a way to help others.

My least favorite part of the book was the editing. Unfortunately, the book is riddled with mistakes, and the mistakes get more frequent toward the end. There are missing words, missing punctuation, and a few problems with indentations. There are also a few instances where the time shifts. We might be following Germaine in the pasture with her sheep, then suddenly she’s lying in bed and it’s several weeks later. The author included some dates in these situations, but too often these jumps were jarring.

Despite the mistakes in editing, I thoroughly enjoyed the story of this little-known saint. Her life was so sad but she was always so loving and forgiving. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The loss of the final star was based solely on the editing. I’d recommend this book to those that believe in God and enjoy tales of his awesomeness. I plan on suggesting it to a few of my Catholic friends. If you’re not a believer, you may still enjoy this book for its storyline. It tells a good tale of a shepherdess growing up in a small town in France in the late 1500s.

Germaine: Requiem of a Soul
View: on Bookshelves
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

It's unfortunate that there are so many editing issues as this sounds like a really interesting book. Thank you for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm sorry about the mistakes; that can make a good story challenging. It sounds interesting nonetheless. I don't know how the protagonist is able to help her faith and a good attitude. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

I love the premise of this book, and it seems to be a very promising book. Hopefully, with another round of editing, the story will be the best it can be! Thanks for this great review... Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I liked the review, it is well presented. Another round of Cinderella sounds interesting. Thanks for the review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

Oh, this seems to be a very interesting book. I would love to read about this faithful woman that inspired the tale of Cinderella!
Great review!
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

This book sounds so interesting. Cinderella is such a well-known story, so I would like to read about a "real life" version of it. It's too bad about the editing, I could see how that distraction could take away from the story. Thanks for a great review!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Huh. I never knew that Cinderella was based on a true story but reading the review, I can see the correlations. Thanks!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Germaine would probably be amazed to know that her life had become the basis for a fairy tale! It would take a strong faith to receive that kind of treatment without becoming biter. I wonder if her life had the same ending as the fairy tale??? Great review!
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I was unaware that there was an actual origin story for the tale of Cinderella! Like so many fairy tales, though, the reality for Germaine was much harsher than it was portrayed to be. It's difficult to understand how one can keep such an upbeat perception of life when faced with so much 'torture' in their own life. I hope Germaine's story had a happy ending equal to or better than the Cinderella in the fairy tale! Thanks for a great review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”