Official Review: Blood for Freedom by J. P. Piché

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
pricklypurple
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: Jerkwater by Jamie Zerndt

Official Review: Blood for Freedom by J. P. Piché

Post by pricklypurple » 23 Aug 2019, 14:47

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blood for Freedom" by J. P. Piché.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Blood for Freedom by J. P. Piché tells the story of Paul, a missionary from America, who sets out on a journey to help the Maya people of Guatemala while also healing himself. Paul's twin brother committed suicide and left Paul feeling like an empty shell of himself. The missionary job in Guatemala appealed to his broken soul. So, he left his family and his betrothed to travel to a distant land.

While living in Guatemala, Paul becomes much more involved in the lives of the Maya people than he had ever planned. Not only does he immerse himself in the culture and language of the population, but he also becomes involved in their political activities. Soon enough, Paul is friends and fellow revolutionary with his newfound family. This novel shows the reader a dark side of a country through the eyes of a man who was lost and needed a reason to live.

This book is very enlightening. It describes a history of an ancient civilization and also exposes the reader to some of the present-day problems of the remaining ancestors of that civilization. I really enjoyed this story. I think by telling about the revolutionary escapades through the character of Paul, the author allows the reader to better connect with Guatemala and its people.

What I enjoyed most about this book was how much I learned about a topic I really had no knowledge of before. The story moved at a fast pace and was easy to follow. Although it definitely touches on serious topics, I think it was written in a way that will fascinate most readers and not lose them to the tedium of facts. My least favorite part of the novel was the dialogue. Parts of it seemed forced and unnatural. While it didn't really take away from the story, it would have been better if the characters spoke in a way more typical of everyday conversation.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. There were a few editing errors, and the dialogue did drag on in places. Overall, it is an interesting story with an important message. I would recommend it to fans of action, military, or historical fiction novels. There were quite a few scenes of violence and gore. So, it is not recommended for young readers or those who cannot tolerate such descriptions. However, if you can read through the graphic descriptions, you will find a story worth your time.

Blood for Freedom
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

OuKoyoo
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 7
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo » 24 Aug 2019, 11:41

I enjoy reading historical books because most of them are always very enlightening. This is a great history book that helps readers to understand the past as well as some of the modern-day problems. Thank you for this amazing review.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 67
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Hidden Pearl by J.E. Laufer

Post by kandscreeley » 24 Aug 2019, 17:16

This one sounds somewhat unique from what I've read before. I would love to learn more about the Mayan culture in a fun way like this. It sounds dramatic. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 87
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Last Bush Pilots
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Shelf by David K. DeRemer

Post by kdstrack » 24 Aug 2019, 19:03

This is a unique way to educate readers about modern problems in this country. It is helpful that the author also includes historical information about the country's past. The book looks to be both entertaining and educative at the same time. Wonderful review!

reneelu1998
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 122
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading: The Great Dune Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by reneelu1998 » 24 Aug 2019, 20:25

I am a big fan of action, military, or historical fiction novels so I think I will have to check this one out. Thanks for the well-written review!

KojoGH
Favorite Book: Wellness Toolbox
Currently Reading: What Makes America Great
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by KojoGH » 25 Aug 2019, 03:40

I like action and drama stories too...good review

esp1975
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Spellbound by Julia Goldhirsh

Post by esp1975 » 26 Aug 2019, 15:58

A book that touches on the history of the Maya people and the present day political struggles of their descendants sounds pretty fascinating to me. I might have to look for this one.

LinaMueller
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: Playing Chess with God by Verne R. Albright

Post by LinaMueller » 27 Aug 2019, 06:46

Blood for Freedom seems to be profound and insightful. Thanks for your review, pricklypurple.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

Laila_Hashem
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 122
Currently Reading: Marbles
Bookshelf Size: 221
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Laila_Hashem » 03 Sep 2019, 14:27

Wow. I was always curious about the Mayan people and their history. I believe that their stories are in a lot of ways untold. I am adding this to my list. Thanks for the great review!

Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 41

Post by Nizar Ali Shah » 09 Sep 2019, 15:19

"Blood for Freedom" by J.P.Piche.The author has faced tragic incidents in his life by losing his two brothers as they both had committed suicide found solace in migrating to Guatemala and worked over there with Maya community.He touches about the past and present history of the Maya people as well as their political struggle and guided them in the right direction whatever he could.The book has both educative values and entertaining.The book is equally useful for both adult male and female and gives them the service to humanity even in difficult situations.

Return to “Historical Fiction”