Official Review: Our Time Will Come by Jean Gallant Marcoux

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Last Bush Pilots
Bookshelf Size: 269
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Jane's War by Ann Carlisle

Official Review: Our Time Will Come by Jean Gallant Marcoux

Post by kdstrack » 14 Aug 2019, 22:30

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Our Time Will Come" by Jean Gallant Marcoux.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Our Time Will Come by Jean Gallant Marcoux is a historical fiction novel that revolves around a romance that began in Paris in 1938. The war impeded the couple's plans as Hélène returned home to Canada while Hans fulfilled his obligations as a German soldier. Despite the complications of the war, their love motivated them to find a way to be together.

Hans and Hélène met at the Louvre. Their shared interest in art quickly developed into more intimate conversations. The relationship matured to the point that they began discussing marriage. The critical obstacle to their relationship was their different faiths. Hélène was Catholic, and Hans was Protestant. Hélène wanted a church wedding in Canada, so they decided to wait until Hans was able to immigrate.

While Hans served in the German army, he saw an advertisement asking for volunteers to infiltrate Canada. Could this be a way to get to Hélène? Should he get to Canada, would he consider deserting from the army? Would the Canadian government be able to protect him from the Nazis? What consequences would desertion cause even after the war?

The story of Our Time Will Come advanced details of World War II from a unique perspective. Canada's participation in the war is a vital part of the story, and the infiltration of German soldiers into Canada enhanced the narrative.

I enjoyed how the author kept the reader informed of the activities of both main characters. The author took time to construct an intense romance between Hans and Hélène before they were separated. The alternating chapters that highlighted the main characters maintained the suspense without leaving the reader languishing in a void of information. The tension increased as Hans debated his options to reunite with Hélène under the radar of the Nazi regime. Plausible dangers for Hans and Hélène pushed the characters to an intense showdown with the enemy. I liked the ending and the hint of a possible sequel.

The only thing to dislike about the book was the errors. There were some misspelled words, such as 'pose' for 'pause.' There were also several occurrences of double punctuation.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The unique perspective that the author shed on this world event kept me intrigued. The exceptional character development and the numerous twists that the narrative took made the 195 pages pass quickly. I was obligated to lower the score due to the number of punctuation errors and misspelled words. Readers of historical fiction would enjoy this author's innovative angle on World War II. Romance is also a central theme of the book and would satisfy readers of that genre. Readers will encounter a few sensual scenes and some violence. If you do not enjoy history or stories about World War II, this book is not for you.

Our Time Will Come
View: on Bookshelves

Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Michelle Fred » 15 Aug 2019, 11:22

I like it when a writer infuses romance into an otherwise intense plot. Also, Canada's role in WW II is rarely talked about; it's quite creative of the author to explore that angle.

OuKoyoo
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 7
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo » 15 Aug 2019, 15:46

I love it when romance is a central theme in a book and I prefer historical books. I will need to read this one. Thanks for the review.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 67
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Hidden Pearl by J.E. Laufer

Post by kandscreeley » 15 Aug 2019, 19:40

I read books of this genre occasionally. It's a unique perspective, which I always enjoy. It's one I'll have to put on my list, as I do want to know what happens to the characters. Infiltrating Canada sounds intriguing.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Wamakima
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Wamakima » 17 Aug 2019, 03:35

Historical fiction and romance combined is definitely my cup of tea. I will read this book just to find out if Hélené got her church wedding. Amazing review!
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)

Bluebird03
2019 Reading Goal: 65
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 181
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: The Good Stuff by Liz Loughlin

Post by Bluebird03 » 17 Aug 2019, 08:43

As I was reading your review, I could imagine a movie being made about this love story. It sounds like the author did an amazing job of keeping readers' interest throughout this book. Thank you for this recommendation and great review!

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 174
Currently Reading: Last Another Day
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: Spellbound by Zach Wise
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn » 17 Aug 2019, 20:37

I'm not much on historical fiction, but I love that the author was able to take real events, create an intense romance within it, and do justice to them both. I found your review style quite engaging. Thanks!

Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ekta Swarnkar » 18 Aug 2019, 00:08

I do not like love stories much, but the complications in it made me curious as to what will happen to them. I would love to know about its ending. Nice review!

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack » 18 Aug 2019, 08:26

Michelle Fred wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 11:22
I like it when a writer infuses romance into an otherwise intense plot. Also, Canada's role in WW II is rarely talked about; it's quite creative of the author to explore that angle.
Those were two aspects that impressed me about this book. I really enjoyed learning about Canada's participation in the war. The romance aspect was well done and believable. Thanks so much for responding.

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack » 18 Aug 2019, 08:31

OuKoyoo wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 15:46
I love it when romance is a central theme in a book and I prefer historical books. I will need to read this one. Thanks for the review.
The author did an excellent job of developing the romance between the two main characters. It added suspense to the rest of the story! Hope you enjoy this book. Thanks for commenting.

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack » 18 Aug 2019, 14:41

kandscreeley wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 19:40
I read books of this genre occasionally. It's a unique perspective, which I always enjoy. It's one I'll have to put on my list, as I do want to know what happens to the characters. Infiltrating Canada sounds intriguing.
I hope you will get a chance to read it. The focus on a different country (other than US, Germany, or England) makes the reader rethink certain aspects of the war. Thanks so much for your encouraging comments!

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack » 18 Aug 2019, 14:53

Wamakima wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 03:35
Historical fiction and romance combined is definitely my cup of tea. I will read this book just to find out if Hélené got her church wedding. Amazing review!
This is one aspect that intrigued me - and that I had not thought much about before. I hope you will enjoy the outcome! Thanks for your kind and encouraging comments!

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack » 18 Aug 2019, 15:03

Bluebird03 wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 08:43
As I was reading your review, I could imagine a movie being made about this love story. It sounds like the author did an amazing job of keeping readers' interest throughout this book. Thank you for this recommendation and great review!
The story did keep me reading. Every time you try to see where the story is going there is a twist you didn't see coming. I appreciate your thoughtful and encouraging comments. Thanks.

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack » 18 Aug 2019, 15:11

Kelyn wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 20:37
I'm not much on historical fiction, but I love that the author was able to take real events, create an intense romance within it, and do justice to them both. I found your review style quite engaging. Thanks!
I was pleasantly surprised by the way the author took the reader across the ocean to present the war from the perspective of a different ally. The romance between a Canadian and a German also put a unique spin on the story. Thanks so much for reading and commenting!

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack » 18 Aug 2019, 15:24

Ekta Swarnkar wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 00:08
I do not like love stories much, but the complications in it made me curious as to what will happen to them. I would love to know about its ending. Nice review!
I enjoyed that the author developed the strong feelings between the main characters. That made the complications more intense and believable. I hope you enjoy this book too. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Return to “Historical Fiction”