Review by Kansas City Teacher -- Conflict on the Yangtze

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Review by Kansas City Teacher -- Conflict on the Yangtze

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Conflict on the Yangtze" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Conflict on the Yangtze, author Greg Kater brings readers to China in the years following World War II. The story begins as an Australian agent is shot in a field. Jamie and Jacko, military veterans whose missions have included conducting intelligence operations during the war, now work as part of the Commonwealth Investigation Service (CIS). With experience in tasks such as exposing German spies and creating false radio signals, Jamie and Jacko are assigned to expose a large scale opium smuggling ring and recover the missing agent. In order to accomplish this mission, the two leave their wives in the Philippines and head towards Shanghai on a boat along the Yangtze River. As the men begin their treacherous journey to investigate suspicious activity up and down the river, they find that the roots of the opium smuggling operation run deep. Widespread gang activity, sophisticated drug organizations, and ongoing civil war further complicate their mission.

I chose this book because I have read other books by this author and was intrigued by the cultural descriptions and characterization. The lengthy cast of characters in this novel provides a realistic sense for the events in the story. Jamie and Jacko, having served in the North African and Syrian Campaigns, have resources and connections across the globe. Sarah, Jacko’s younger sister, is highlighted in this book as a remarkable and unlikely asset to the team of operants. Each chapter is relatively short and centers on alternating characters and locations. In one chapter, we are sailing down the Yangtze, passing the Xiaojiuhua Temple as locals light incense sticks. In the next, we are riding on a bumpy path in the Northern Territory with kangaroos, dingo, and other wildlife. Maps of Shanghai and China are included at the beginning of the book for reference.

I give Conflict on the Yangtze 4 out of 4 stars for the writing style and storyline. What I liked most about this book is the historical context and details in the descriptions. The spoils of war are explicitly described in China and the Philippines. In the backdrop of this story, readers are reminded of the millions of people who lost their lives, and the millions more whose lives were forever changed. Japanese soldiers in China still fight because they don’t know the war is over. Shipwrecks remain on the beaches and airstrips are under reconstruction. Examples such as these draw readers in and add a layer of emotion to the book. Kater is very precise in his descriptions. His depictions of the widening and narrowing of the river, historical sites, and other parts of the setting are so intricate and worded with such confidence that I felt like I was there in the story. “Apart from the large eucalypts on the plains there were stands of yellow cheesewoods, known locally as Leichhardt trees, acacias, banyans, and woolly butts, interspersed with native grasses, while pandanus and riparian trees marked the course of the main river.” Additionally, I absolutely love how the characters in the story use dialogue in their native language. Sometimes the words are translated, sometimes they are not, but this did not make a difference to me. Rather, this writing technique created an authentic mood to complement the international influences of war, reconstruction, and drug trafficking that were presented in the book.

I cannot think of anything I disliked about this book. It was a fluid, intense novel, with an engaging energy that did not wane until the very end. The characters were believable, the plot was easy to follow, and the events were not predictable. There were quite a few characters, but for this book, I felt it added to the suspense and worked for the storyline.

I highly recommend this book for all readers who enjoy history, other cultures, and adventure. I certainly have learned a lot of history I didn’t before. The superb descriptions and engaging plot make for a satisfying and entertaining read. It should be noted that there are some pretty graphic scenes of violence. There is also the occasional use of mild profanity, both in French and English. There is no sexual content. The book seems professionally edited, and there were only a few minor errors in grammar.

Conflict on the Yangtze
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

I love historical books. What a great review. I will read it as soon as possible. And you have such a captivating name :mrgreen: It is hard to not to take your recommendation seriously :D
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

shravsi wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 00:20 I love historical books. What a great review. I will read it as soon as possible. And you have such a captivating name :mrgreen: It is hard to not to take your recommendation seriously :D
Thanks for the compliments! I love historical books also, and there are many on here.
ernest mwangemi
Favorite Author: Greg Kater
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernest-mwangemi.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith
fav_author_id: 119157

Post by ernest mwangemi »

Your review is on the dot, good job.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

This is in the Warramunga series of books, yes? I recognize the names. I've only read one other book by the author, but I did enjoy it. Maybe I'll give this one a try as well. Thanks for the well-written review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”