Review by katieswings -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katieswings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katieswings.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Review by katieswings -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by katieswings »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fox" by M. N. J. Butler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Fox - The protagonist, Leotychides, recites his life's story in the time of ancient Greece.
Noticing the citizens stare at him from time to time, he begins to check his reality; his people despised him, contrary to the esteem he inherited as a royal Sparton. Unfortunately, Leo's spot on the throne was five-fingered by his uncle, Agisilaos, practically forcing Leo into his future of bloodshed from a young age.

The development of family and loyalty was taught to Leo during his training with his flock- along with military technique and force. This proved helpful in his career as a mercenary general, seeing as it led him to victory in combat; also with maintaining his " Spartan side" when prompted to record the Seige of Mantinea by King Philip II. I feel like the education Leo was taught additionally helped a great deal in his moral character; seeing the pain his classmates felt helped him gain compassion and sympathy, and enduring physical exertion engrained patience.

I enjoyed this book mainly because of its historical depth when talking about culture- it created another world full of rich life and color. Clearly, something of this proportion was mapped out over a long period of study; much thought was put into the story and its inhabitants. Second, the book has an actual dimension of character growth.
Unlike most novels of its sort, The Fox portrays a meaningful distancing between character's personalities and individual thought- giving way to a more complex and exciting story. And finally, the book's layout was brilliant (in my opinion.)
I'll admit that it takes a while to get absorbed but, the pace the book is written makes the story come alive.

M.N.J Butler's The Fox is politically intriguing and quite enveloped as well- I made many connections to other works like Hamlet ( Shakespeare) and Jason And The Golden Fleece ( Apollonius of Rhodes.) I truly enjoyed the references used in this book, like the title itself. On a more suggestive note, I believe readers who like most historical fiction novels and Heroic odysseys would love this page-turner.

One thing I disliked about the book was the overabundance of names; It was hard to keep track of who did what at times.
Furthermore, some of the dialects confused me. However, the book was exceptionally edited and well worded; to me, that makes up for some light confusion. I rate this marvelous piece of literature 4 out of 4 stars- despite the mild cursing and rudeness.

The Fox
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”