Review by SpiritPhoenix -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SpiritPhoenix
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 89
Currently Reading: Lady Chatterley's Lover
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spiritphoenix.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Review by SpiritPhoenix -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by SpiritPhoenix »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fox" by M. N. J. Butler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Fox by M.N.J. Butler is a historical recollection of Greek Politics. It is written in the narrative voice of Leotychides, born in the Eurypontid royal family of Sparta. Prince Leotychides was a bright, beautiful, curious little boy who was very observant and aware of his surroundings, even as a child. He mostly relied on his uncle; the Agiad king Pausanios, who was a father figure to him in the absence of his own father Agis, for stories about their history and for answers to any kind of questions a little boy could think of. He was treated as an equal amongst the royals of Sparta but it didn't escape his notice how some people regarded him with a certain look sometimes which he wasn't old enough to understand. When he turned seven, he was sent to "the flocks" comprising boys from all over Sparta who were raised to be equal, honorable and skilled soldiers. It is there where he uses every opportunity to feed his curiosity and learn about every possible thing that would concern a Spartan. He also learns what that look was all about. He then becomes an active element in the political games of the powerful and years later decides to tell the story of how and where the end of the Spartans began.

This book, with a Spartan King with questionable birth as its protagonist takes readers deep into the politics of Greek city-states while also keeping them entertained with accounts of Panhellenic games, secret romances, boyhood innocence and light-hearted moments where Leotychides nags at his scribe who is writing these accounts for him. There is a back-and-forth narration of the past as well as the present and as the plot in the book advances, we finally get to learn what brings about the downfall of the great Spartans.

Butler has made great efforts to research historical events and cultural values of the Greeks in relation to those times to provide the reader with a truly educational experience. I liked how he gave us a different perspective of the conflicts between Sparta and its neighboring enemies. I also loved how this book opened the doors to a whole new culture to me and upon cross-examining a few factual references, I found them to be legit.

However, this book is not for readers who are new to Greek Politics. Certain historical figures who might be common knowledge to Greeks are mentioned without much of an introduction and there are references to events that beginners may not be familiar with, this makes it a little confusing. As a reader new to Greek history, I personally didn't find this an issue since I was greatly interested in knowing about Spartan culture and that kind of information is available in abundance in this book. I did have to constantly look up a few people, events and places to better understand the content. That being said, I think this would be a perfect book for advanced readers.

There is a glossary of terms at the beginning of this book but I found it very inconvenient to keep scrolling back to refer to them. I just looked those up too. Perhaps footnotes would have been better.

This book had quite a few grammatical errors, a common type of error was with quotation marks which would either be missing or there would be an extra mark inserted randomly, and it was quite frustrating to figure out who was speaking in scenes with multiple speakers. For this reason, I would rate this book 3 out of 4. I didn't mind doing the extra homework as I found it all extremely interesting and educational, so I will not be taking a star away for that.

I'd recommend this book to anyone interested in the history of Greece, provided they have a basic knowledge of events and notable figures.

The Fox
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A ship may be safe in the harbour, but that's not what ships are meant for.

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Why A Refuge by Michael George

Post by Prisallen »

I do enjoy historical fictions, but I'm afraid I don't know enough about Greek politics to not be totally confused with the people who are mentioned with no background. Thank you for a wonderful review!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Bishop and the Missing L Train
Bookshelf Size: 439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Centurions Man by Michael Sansone

Post by kdstrack »

I agree that readers would need some background knowledge to be able to understand this book. Thanks for the informative review.

SpiritPhoenix

Post by SpiritPhoenix »

Prisallen wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 12:27
I do enjoy historical fictions, but I'm afraid I don't know enough about Greek politics to not be totally confused with the people who are mentioned with no background. Thank you for a wonderful review!
Yes, I get you. History and politics of another culture from way back in time together is pretty intimidating and heavy! Thank you for reading the review though. :)

SpiritPhoenix

Post by SpiritPhoenix »

kdstrack wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 18:58
I agree that readers would need some background knowledge to be able to understand this book. Thanks for the informative review.
Yes. Thanks for reading and commenting. :)

Nerea
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 166
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
fav_author_id: 89641

Post by Nerea »

True, the story is interesting and educational too. I enjoyed learning about the Greek culture. Your review is well written. Good job.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."

SpiritPhoenix

Post by SpiritPhoenix »

Nerea wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 00:41
True, the story is interesting and educational too. I enjoyed learning about the Greek culture. Your review is well written. Good job.
Thank you for reading the review and leaving feedback! :)

sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
2018 Reading Goal: 70
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

"There is a glossary of terms at the beginning of this book but I found it very inconvenient to keep scrolling back to refer to them. I just looked those up too. Perhaps footnotes would have been better."

I understand this feeling! I recently read a book that used a lot of words from a foreign language and included a glossary at the end. I think it would have been less distracting if the translations would have been right there on the page. Great review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

SpiritPhoenix

Post by SpiritPhoenix »

sarahmarlowe wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 07:30
"There is a glossary of terms at the beginning of this book but I found it very inconvenient to keep scrolling back to refer to them. I just looked those up too. Perhaps footnotes would have been better."

I understand this feeling! I recently read a book that used a lot of words from a foreign language and included a glossary at the end. I think it would have been less distracting if the translations would have been right there on the page. Great review!
Thank you! I mean, I don't think I mind this in a physical copy of a book but I'm too technologically backward to understand this in digital copies. Thank you for reading and commenting. :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”