Review by Shiedan -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shiedan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shiedan.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Shiedan -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Shiedan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fox" by M. N. J. Butler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Fox by M.N.J. Butler is a historical fiction book. This book was first published in 1995 and later republished in 2018. This is a very interesting book about Ancient Greece.

The story revolves around the life of Leotychides, a Spartan warrior. We get to know how Leotychides grew up, became a warrior and even fought in war. He grew up believing that he was the biological son of the King. He therefore regarded himself as heir to one of Spartan's two thrones. What he didn't know is that he was a bastard son. When the king died, his uncle challenged him for the throne. He later got to know the truth about his real father. Despite knowing his real identity, he continued to use his brilliance and strength to bring himself and the entire Sparta to victory.

This book is so long and very much detailed. The book requires patience and determination in order to understand it fully. This book is full of humor and emotions. The author's ability to combine humor alongside tragedy is remarkable. I was able to immerse fully in the story. The plot is also very interesting.

The author provided the reader with a glossary of characters at the beginning of the book. I found this necessary because some of the names were either repeated or similar. The author gave a brief explanation of each character. This boosted a better understanding of the story by avoiding confusion. I found myself referring to the glossary from time to time. I found this to be time consuming considering how long this book is.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was well edited. I never encountered any major grammatical errors. There is no doubt that this book was well researched too. The author has provided some notes at the end of the story to help clarify some issues. I found this very helpful. I really enjoyed reading this book considering the fact that I am not a fun of history.

What I didn't like about this book is that the paragraphs were tightly packed. I had to strain my eyes while reading and this was very uncomfortable for me. It however didn't affect my enjoyment of the book.

I recommend this book to all lovers of history and those who enjoy reading historical fiction books. I also recommend it to those people who would like to know more about Ancient Greece. This book is very informative and fascinating as well.

The Fox
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ariely 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ariely-20.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ariely 20 »

The book really does require patience and determination to get through it. It is also quite enjoyable so that helps as well. Please do well to check out my review on the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”