Official Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sassyreader5
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Santa's Smelly Socks!
Currently Reading: Bad Karma
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sassyreader5.html
Latest Review: Inside Incest by Madeline A.Garner

Re: Official Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sassyreader5 »

In reading your review of this book. I am interested in finding out more about it. And, in the process of learning things that I did not know about another culture. Thank you for the review!
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I love reading historical fiction, and I am particularly intrigued by this book since it involves a historical time period and culture that I know nothing about and would like to learn more about, if this book has been accurately written. I am a bit apprehensive that the review mentions issues with narrative pacing and the way in which some historical information is presented through dialogue, but I might still check it out. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code&reg;
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

Thank you for writing this extremely detailed and insightful review! It is of great help to me in deciding if I"ll want to read the book or not. Right now, I felt compelled to read any historical fiction to widen my perspective and expand the experiences I get.
OB Brian
Currently Reading: Shame Off You
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ob-brian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by OB Brian »

The review is lovely, thanks. The novel sounds enticing; I mean, who doesn't love historical fiction? I am, however, a little confused by the cover. What's the deal with the flowers given that these were dark times for the Koreans? One would expect a bloody battlefield, with swords raised and heads rolling. I suppose only reading the book will resolve that mystery. I look forward to giving it a go. Congrats on being the BOTD.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

This historical novel based in Korea seems to be potent in evoking sentiments, as it includes themes of injustice by the Japanese, passion for achieving freedom, and some other similar topics. Maybe, as mentioned in the review, this book may be off-putting for some readers as there are some issues with the narration of the story. Thank you for the review!
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
L1nzGab2
Favorite Book: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Currently Reading: One Hundred Excuses
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l1nzgab2.html
Latest Review: First Love by Momi Robins

Post by L1nzGab2 »

Great review. Can't wait to start reading the book.
Daisy Deeh
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by Daisy Deeh »

A well detailed review pal, i'm currently reading the book and i can say so far so awesome good review
Splendor0158
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Splendor0158 »

This book seems very interesting for those who are doing history as a course and want to know more about the Asian. It is through that what ever goes around comes around, history cannot be hidden forever and this really makes to have a deep understanding of the korean and japanese
kalgaonkarsnehal
Favorite Author: Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Favorite Book: Wish You Well
Currently Reading: Connect the Dots
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalgaonkarsnehal.html
Latest Review: Effective R.U.L.E. by satish shitut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 15638

Post by kalgaonkarsnehal »

I have just started reading this book. As I mentioned earlier, this book reminds me of Pachinko. While Pachinko is very well written, I am curious as to compare both the books and see the cultural similarities of the times. I am also curious to know how the delicate Japanese-Korean relationship has been handled in the book, especially in the historic context. Loved your review. Very Engaging!
“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.” ― Isaac Asimov :techie-studyinggray: :D
Rainytwinie19
Favorite Book: The Not So Great American Novel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Rainytwinie19 »

I read it this novel four times. But I found many cultural and important mistakes in there. The king in this novel might be King Gojong not Goyoong. I leave it this be that way there was more important thing. There had two protagnoist I found in this novel. The lady who birth a son and son Embon. The emperor or even loyal family did not invite the person who was married and lack of partner beside them. They invited the couple or single who didn't marry yet to attend their private or public ceremony. The king never pick up a concubine by his own. He had trusted male maid who take the duty for those issues. The king never go and sleep at concubine place. He ordered to take that woman with blanket to his place. The lady and son Embon lived with the luxurious life all time long and live with japanese ruler or control over country after king gojong die. Her son Embon also lived and study at Japan and love with japanese girl. When he got reject by her, he was depress and go back to korea. Then, his mother prepare his marriage with other girl and he married that girl. His mind was out of area and then he connected with revolutionists who had many patriotism. He decided not to be coward anymore and fight with them. They defend Shanghai when they saw Nanjing down or whatever. But at last end of the story he was being coward again and lost hope and he did know he may go back to normal life or staying like this. I was confusing over viewing this novel. If this was a histroical based drama, I will not recommend to view that. I wouldn't choose to watch this drama sure. For writing without grammar or other errors I can rate 3.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Thank you all for dropping by and reading the review!

@kalgaonkarsnehal: I have a copy of Pachinko, per your recommendation. Can't wait to read it!

@Rainytwinie19: I can't speak to the historical accuracy of the events depicted in the book. However, the king's name (as written in my copy of the book) is GOJONG.
kalgaonkarsnehal
Favorite Author: Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Favorite Book: Wish You Well
Currently Reading: Connect the Dots
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalgaonkarsnehal.html
Latest Review: Effective R.U.L.E. by satish shitut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 15638

Post by kalgaonkarsnehal »

inaramid wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 06:56 @kalgaonkarsnehal: I have a copy of Pachinko, per your recommendation. Can't wait to read it!
Yayy !! We can discuss once we're both done with the books :D
“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.” ― Isaac Asimov :techie-studyinggray: :D
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

Your review is definitely descriptive, and I can't help but love how you touched on the book's most important aspects. The book does sound like a challenge for someone like me, but the plot looks like something I might learn something from.
Gior
Favorite Book: The Lightening Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gior.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Gior »

When I read the synopsis, I did not think I could read this book. However your review is really insightful. Thank you for the review. I will add this to my bookshelf as it looks like an interesting read.
samps1910
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samps1910.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by samps1910 »

Historical fiction is not my thing, but after reading your insightful review, I am much more interested in reading the book. Awesome review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”