Official Review: El ombu by Beldon Butterfield

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Official Review: El ombu by Beldon Butterfield

Post by Renu G »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "El ombu" by Beldon Butterfield.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

El Ombú is a historical fiction novel authored by Beldon Butterfield. The title is taken from the name of an evergreen tree from Pampa that grows on an estancia (cattle ranch) belonging to the Redfield family in Argentina. They believe that it has some magical properties and symbolizes their culture.

This story of a British family is character-driven with Lt. David Redfield, DFC & Bar, as the protagonist. It is during World War II. He does an excellent job as a young Spitfire pilot who is injured and becomes a prisoner of war of the Italians. Managing to escape with the help of Vico, a childhood buddy, he journeys by submarine to Malta. The months are full of challenges, ordeals, and surprises for this Anglo-Argentinian even as he feels as if he is being watched and every detail has been planned. What could be the reason for him to become a VIP? Thereafter, the fighter travels to Tel Aviv in the British Mandate of Palestine, and then to London where his parents are waiting for him. He does not receive a warm welcome as expected. Instead, he must face the consequences of his dark past due to a romantic relationship with Maureen, a woman much older than him. David learns that Charles, his rival, has muddled it further, but readers may wish to find out the details for themselves.

This 387-page book is so captivating and fast-paced that I had to read it in one go with only a short break after every chapter. The first half is full of suspense. I was left with many questions about the identity of several characters and the strange events that surrounded David. The second half is a lengthy unfolding of the mystery. I felt it was stretched too much, and the author could have done this in a few pages.

What I liked most was the exposure to French, Spanish, Italian, British, American, and other cultures in the historical context of World War II and its aftermath. The children born of mixed marriages between people of diverse races grow up into strong and distinct personalities, thus increasing my interest in the novel. It is dense with historical information and events surrounding the War that have been creatively woven by the author along with very interesting character development.

Although El Ombú combines historical fiction with romance, its sexually explicit content could be disturbing to some readers. Most of the women characters have been depicted as promiscuous individuals trying to seduce David. I most disliked this aspect of the book and felt that it is gender biased and disrespectful. It is not meant for children. Otherwise, the novel has an excellent plot and script. I did find errors in spelling and grammar, but they were not distracting. The book needs to be professionally edited. After taking all that is discussed into consideration, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it for men and women who like historical fiction, culture, and wartime stories. Those who serve the defense forces will enjoy reading it.

El ombu
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Renu G's review? Post a comment saying so!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This sounds like a compelling if complex work of historical fiction. So why was the title taken from the tree in Argentina? I'm sure I don't know what "DFC & Bar" means.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

Sounds like a memoir, is it based on true events? Thank you for this detailed account!
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like this fast-paced novel set during the war time. The details. I also like the description of life during that period. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

The gender bias would most likely anger me as I read the book, as it feels as though it might be explicit just to shock readers. It's a shame though because it seems like other than that it would be a good read. Thank you for reviewing :)
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

Scarlet Nicoll wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 05:45 Sounds like a memoir, is it based on true events? Thank you for this detailed account!
Yes, it is based on historical events. Someone advised the author to write it in the form of a novel.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

The storyline of this book sounds interesting. But, I'm not a fan of books where women are made to look promiscuous. Like some men, some women are like that. But, all women are not like that and trying to portray such an image is disrespectful. I'm not sure whether or not I'll enjoy it. But, for the sake of the plot, I'll try. Thanks so much for your honest and thoughtful review.
busisiwe5754
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-busisiwe5754.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by busisiwe5754 »

''Although El Ombú combines historical fiction with romance, its sexually explicit content could be disturbing to some readers. Most of the women characters have been depicted as promiscuous individuals trying to seduce David. I most disliked this aspect of the book and felt that it is gender biased and disrespectful''.

I really liked that the book was about history but I do not like the fact that it disrespects woman so I think that I shall pass. Thank you for the review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The historical information included in the story looks interesting, especially since the author has included so many different nationalities instead of just focusing on one country. I also wonder what happened in David's past to cause his parent's ire? Great review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”