Official Review: At Vitoria by Marcia Riman Selz

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Our Nation's No.2, the Rising Influence of America's Modern Vice Presidency by Charles Denyer

Official Review: At Vitoria by Marcia Riman Selz

Post by kislany » 27 May 2019, 12:01

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "At Vitoria" by Marcia Riman Selz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Marcia Riman Selz is a debut author whose novel transports us to a troubled Spain during the 15th century. The story takes place around the time of the Alhambra Decree issued by Isabella I of Castile and Ferdinand II of Aragon, two monarchs who ordered all practicing Jews to leave from their Spanish territories by the end of July 1492.

The story in At Vitoria gives us a glimpse into the day-to-day existence of the Jewish Crevago family of shoemakers. Vidal Crevago, who travels across the country to deliver handcrafted shoes to customers, learns that Jews in other areas are forced to convert to Christianity; however, even those who converted are not spared from humiliation or death. Vidal is trying in vain to convince his family to move to safer places, but Vitoria is a peaceful town that has yet to be touched by evil. When the new decree is approved, the Crevago family members have to take an almost impossible decision if they want to survive.

The book grabbed me from the moment the Crevagos were heatedly discussing a particular cemetery. The argument made me curious to learn the fate of said resting place. By the end of the story, however, I’ve learned more than expected about a dark time in Europe’s history. I knew about the Inquisition and its persecution of witches, but I was unaware that Jewish people had a similar fate during those early years in Europe.

Surprisingly, this story didn’t have a central character. It lacked a main hero you could sympathize with or root for. Instead, the author gave us an entire family with diverse members going about their lives and dealing in their own ways with the crisis that fell upon them. I enjoyed the book a lot; however, the author’s take on the characters left me slightly distanced from them. I couldn’t relate very much to any of them, although they were all quite sympathetic. Initially, I rooted for Vidal Crevago, but then the author focused on someone else in the family, and Vidal no longer appeared until later in the story.

As for the story itself, it was a dark tale that had its bright and uplifting moments. It was written quite well, and it had a large number of details about the diverse Jewish customs of the times. For example, the Seder ritual was described on several pages with Vidal telling the entire story of the Exodus of the Jews. By reading this book, I’ve learned quite a lot - maybe too much - about the various Jewish religious customs and traditions. What elevated the story in my mind was the end, which had a resolution I didn’t see coming. I liked that the loose ends were tied up in the last chapter.

It surprised me to learn that this was the author’s first novel. The story flows well, and the sentences don’t sound choppy at all (which is a flaw visible in the books of most first-time novelists). I didn’t find many grammatical errors, so the book was professionally edited. A few missing or wrongly placed commas, a missing quotation mark, and an added typographical error formed the bulk of the mistakes in the book.

Thus, I give At Vitoria 4 out of 4 stars even though I had a few minor issues with the characters and the overly detailed descriptions. For a debut novel, it was too well-crafted to penalize it. I recommend it to lovers of European historical fiction, and to people who delight in reading meticulous details about the traditions of other cultures. There is one mention of rape in the book, so sensitive people should be aware of it.

At Vitoria
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by essyallan7475 » 11 Aug 2019, 21:02

A great review. I liked the religious background. The jewish cutoms would be educational. A thought-provoking book

OuKoyoo
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo » 12 Aug 2019, 07:07

This sounds like a very intriguing book that I think everyone who loves reading this genre should grab and read. Thank you for the review.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Last Bush Pilots
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Our Time Will Come by Jean Gallant Marcoux

Post by kdstrack » 12 Aug 2019, 21:02

It is curious that the author focuses on the family and not on a main character. I was intrigued by all the historical connections you have mentioned. This looks interesting. Thanks for the recommendation!

Return to “Historical Fiction”