Review by P Reefer -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
P Reefer
2019 Reading Goal: 200
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 19
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 237
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Review by P Reefer -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by P Reefer » 09 Mar 2019, 22:24

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Warramunga's War begins literally with a bang of machine-gun bullets. It is an emotionally stirring narrative, which explores the bonds of friendship between a Warramunga aborigine, Jack O’ Brien and a young Australian army officer, James Munro. After Jack’s diligent and caring actions saves Lieutenant James Munro’s life, James tells Colonel Jacobs of his wish for Jack to accompany him on his assignment in Cairo. Happily, the Colonel agrees to his request.

In Cairo, James and Jack engage in espionage for the Allied forces during the Second World War. Both men join forces with another Australian military man Matt MacAulay. The description of Cairo’s cultural landscape acts as a buffer to the austere nature of the job that can often involve detecting criminal activity. Jack hires a horse, and he stops and stares in wonder at the great pyramid of the Giza towering before him and he is awestruck by the Great Sphinx.

After this mission, James and Jack go on another in their home territory Australia. In Australia, the author gives the audience a greater appreciation of the Aborigine’s culture. During this trip with the help of Tommo and Sarah, they make some shocking discoveries.

I liked the rich and original description Kater uses in his narrative that brings his scenes alive. His main characters interact seamlessly with actual historical figures. Using Australian Creole Languages in his dialogue for some of his characters of Aborigine heritage added a unique and authentic quality to the dialogue and setting of the narrative. I admired that Kater refrained from the use of vulgar language in his narrative. He opted to state that the characters used expletives at various scenes when expressing their displeasure at the actions of another rather than have his characters use offensive language. I have no complaints about any elements of this narrative.

Being a lover of the performing arts the descriptions of the various belly dancers of Egypt and their performance skills enthralled me. The humor pervasive in the dialogue was another attractive feature of this war novel. The humor shared by the protagonists piqued my interest in reading the entire novel. Kater’s book commendably has little or no obvious grammatical errors. Although the book features war, there are no gut-wrenching scenes of blood and gore. I would recommend this book to people who like war novels and those who enjoy reading adventure narratives. Greg Kater’s historical fiction, The Warramunga’s War, proves to be quite an enthralling narrative with credible protagonists and antagonists. This book without reservation deserves 4 out of 4 stars.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like P Reefer's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”