Official Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Re: Official Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by Alicia09 »

I love reading historical fiction, especially when it centers on topics that are related to women like the topic of female suffragists. Do you think that the romance overshadowed the work the main character did as a female suffragist?
:character-ariel:
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

Thank you for your eloquent review. I was skeptical at first because the setting is not one of my go-tos, but the inclusion of a real world movement is intriguing.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Shraddha_rc
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shraddha-rc.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shraddha_rc »

I read the plot of this book, but I didn't find it that interesting. Thanks for the review though.
Aynslie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Aynslie »

Although historical fiction isn't my first choice, I have made exceptions. For example, All Is Quiet On The Western Front was a book a enjoyed very much for its realism and its gorey honesty.
Mistress Suffragette covers the interesting topic of the Woman's Suffrage Movement which is amazing because I have trouble finding a book that intrest me with this topic. This was a turning point in history for women and being able to read a book that depicts it well through the eyes of a character in a book is just fascinating.
Alwayz_T25
Currently Reading: The Crimson Heirlooms
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwayz-t25.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Alwayz_T25 »

Sounds very interesting. I love historical fiction but not so thrilled about romance novels, but the way you reviewed the book it doesn't seem to focus on that as much. It seem like the suffrage movement is the main topic and Penelope's decision surrounding her own future.
Thanks for your review!
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

I am a fun of romance and lately, historical fiction books have proven that they can earn my love. Seems this one also has a lot to offer.
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. Historical fiction is not really my cup of tea but this definitely sounds like a great fit for fans of the genre. A huge draw for me would be the wonderful characters that the reader becomes emotionally invested in. Congrats to the author on a smashing review. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
smc19
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 72

Post by smc19 »

The historical account of the political movement at the time would probably be interesting, but not so much on the romance novel. Good review.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I read a historical romance once and loved it. I know that I will love this one as well. I wasn't crazy about the cover of the book, but what happens within the pages of the book intrigues me. Great review.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I love historical fiction! I think this story sounds intriguing, to say the least! Two friends, finding themselves and amidst the women's suffrage movement! Congrats on the book of the day! Great review!
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 351

Post by Tars »

I love historical genre, but only unless it includes word Romance. Unfortunately I don't read romance in any variety and can't say anything about this book, because I will pass it.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

I also read this book and found it fun and engaging, though I had a bit of issue with some of the dialogue as it seemed more modern rather than appropriate for the Victorian era. Nonetheless, it was an exciting story and gave life to the early days of the suffragette movement.
Juanita700
Currently Reading: Anastasia&rsquo;s Book of Days
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juanita700.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
2024 Reading Goal: 4
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Juanita700 »

The story of Penelope is very serious but written in a very engaging way. I like the dialogue that shows that Penelope is clever even if she did not have a lot of formal education. I like the humor and seeing the situation many women had been in at the turn of a century where society changed.
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

sounds like you loved this book! though it is not my favorite genre it sounds like something that could keep my interest.
k2kelliher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2kelliher.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello

Post by k2kelliher »

This book sounds like it's right up my alley! Also, being from Boston, I love stories that are set in New England. I am a big fan of historical fiction, I am not huge into romances but they are fun once in a while. I will definitely have to check this one out!

Return to “Historical Fiction”