Official Review: The Relentless American by Sarina Rose

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Relentless American by Sarina Rose

Post by Mailis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Relentless American" by Sarina Rose.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Relentless American by Sarina Rose is a historical romance book that mixes stories of love and war. Hannah and Daniel are childhood friends who have grown up together and are now facing new more mature feeling towards each other and are thinking about taking the next step in their relationship. It’s complicated because Daniel wants to marry her right away and Hannah wants to be an independent woman. They both have their own passions and beliefs. Daniel is pragmatic in his attitude towards the Vietnam war and Hannah believes strongly that the war is a huge mistake and takes part in protests against it. Their differences are what pull them apart and are what also fan the fire of their mutual attraction.

After marriage proposal by Daniel goes wrong, they drift apart. Daniel goes to war and Hannah grows closer to a married officer and Vietnam veteran Sal Mendoza. When Sals wife dies, their relationship evolves from friendship to something deeper.

At the start of the book Hannah is somewhat flighty in her attitude towards Daniel. She calls him her friend and considers him to be too attentive and pushy in his advances in one sentence and soon after that, he manages to be very hot and sexy when he is being possessive. He tries to woo her and acts like a caring romance hero and she sends him packing because he is a threat to her independence. After he is gone, she feels like sulking that there are no good men out there and she feels so alone. This frustrated me as a reader because it makes it impossible to really connect with her character or care for her.

When she started her relationship with Sal with Daniel always at the back of her mind playing tricks, it seemed this love triangle was just not compatible and would not end well. But as the Daniel storyline fizzles out and Sal and Hannah get more serious, the book becomes more enjoyable and has its moments.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars because when I received my book in a Word format, I was quite surprised that even the simple basic grammar check option that this program offers, had not been used to correct the obvious myriad of errors. The past tense use in sentences is off and there are too many mistakes on every page to even count them all. This distracted me from the fluidity of the story and left me with a feeling that no effort at all had been made to check the writing for mistakes.

I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in war stories and would like to know more about the time when Vietnam war was ongoing and changed drastically millions of lives. For me, although those stories that touched on war were heartbreaking, they were also the most well written part of the book, with real tangible emotion in them.

The Relentless American
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Mailis's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I’m surprised at how many books centered on the Vietnam War are popping up lately. I have reviewed a couple of them myself. I would enjoy reading another perspective. How frustrating that there were so many errors! I hope these will be corrected in the next revision. Thanks for this informative review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
tkrapish
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tkrapish.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by tkrapish »

Thank you for giving an excellent summation of the story line. I wasn't sure what this book about. The title gave me a few clues and your filled in the rest. The parts about the Vietnam war and romance interested me, but after reading your review I think I will pass on this book. Thank you for a detailed review.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I really like the way you described the part of the plot involving the Vietnam War. Thanks for the recommendation!

Return to “Historical Fiction”