Official Review: The Crimson Heirlooms by Hunter Dennis

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: The Crimson Heirlooms by Hunter Dennis

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Crimson Heirlooms" by Hunter Dennis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Crimson Heirlooms by Hunter Dennis tells the story of an American student studying abroad in France in 1832. The student is involved in a secret society determined to start a revolution, but the student soon finds himself choosing to be blackmailed by a millionaire over losing his life. The millionaire is looking for two heirlooms: a necklace, the Cross of Nantes, and the lyrics to a song "the devil sang as he danced across the blood-drenched hills of the Vendée Militaire." However, before the student can start his search for the missing heirlooms, the author takes us back in time to show us how they were lost in the first place.

The Crimson Heirlooms is one of the best-written historical novels I've ever read. The time leaps between 1832 and the mid- to late-1700s showed the reader two completely different French landscapes. Dennis obviously has done his research, gently introducing background information and history to readers without overwhelming them, guiding them through historical events with a firm hand on their backs, making them feel as if they had been there themselves and were just reading another person's view on things.

My knowledge of French history extends to Les Misérables and the little bits of high school Literature and History classes that I can actually remember. Despite that, I had no trouble at all immersing myself in the world that Dennis created, slipping into the time periods like I was slipping on silk gloves. Every new town thrilled me, every new character spilled their secrets and inner thoughts little by little, pulling me into their secret societies and making me feel like their closest confidant. The entire time I was reading, I kept wondering if this was a lost classical manuscript. I had a hard time believing that Dennis could emulate authors from decades and even centuries before his time with such consistency.

I caught just a handful of typos throughout the entire novel, things like "arouse" versus "arose." Overall the editing was superb. Dennis can be wordy at times, making me grateful for the ability to look up words with a single touch on my Kindle, but it suits the style of the book. The book was so well-rounded that I wouldn't be able to think of any suggestions even if I tried.

Overall, I would give The Crimson Heirlooms a hearty 4 out of 4 stars. It could easily become one of my favorite historical series. When I reached the cliffhanger at the end of the book, I almost screamed out of frustration. I am highly looking forward to the next installation in the series, to see where the heirlooms will find themselves next, and whether the student being blackmailed will be able to out-trick his blackmailer as he gets closer to finding the mysterious heirlooms. I would highly recommend this book to historical fiction fans, especially those who enjoyed Les Misérables, who are looking for an intelligent and complicated but satisfying story. Once you start reading, I doubt you'll be able to put it down.

The Crimson Heirlooms
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Historical fiction isn't my usual genre, but I do enjoy a good one time and again. This one definitely sounds like one I could immerse myself in and maybe learn a thing or two. Thanks for the great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Wilcox-95
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Wilcox-95 »

I would definitely give this book a try. I love books with history and sentimental values. Of course reading a book about someone being blackmailed is also a page turner, you never know what can happen.
Thank you for the review
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I like this style of writing and genre. I believe it shows an extra degree of dedication when the author has to do extensive research for their book. That in itself is quite time-consuming. It's a shame for the handful of errors though. Great review!
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

France is a setting rife with potential, so seeing it outside of the context of classical literature is refreshing, even if this was written in a similar style. Cliffhangers frustrate me so much, too, even if that's sort of the point!
Edgeona
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edgeona.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Edgeona »

The writer takes us back to the past, it is historical, mystery and adventurous, full of suspense.
MollyEnter
Currently Reading: The Altitude Journals
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollyenter.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by MollyEnter »

Great review! I'm going to have to put this on my Want to Read list. I love historical fiction. My only hesitation is getting to the end and not getting a resolution. I usually read stand alones.
"There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner.”
– Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I am quite intrigued by this book. Historical writing alone is a winner for me. But when you add the blackmailing and secret society to the list makes me interested even more.
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Thanks for this review! This looks like an excellent, richly-textured portrayal of a part of French history that I'd be interested in learning more about. The cliffhanger sounds exciting, too.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

Wow, what a good review! And it definitely goes to show why there's an adage about not judging a book by its cover - there's no way I would have expected the story you describe based on the cover up there. It's very Philippa Gregory - not that there's anything wrong with that, I adore her. But it sounds like a very different prospect, and your review has really inspired me to read it. Thanks!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I'm a big fan of historical fiction! Having had trouble learning history from textbooks, I love being able to learn while reading fictional stories in a historical context. Congratulations on a well-done review! Your writing style really draws me in. For example, I like how you described the author as both gentle and firm with the way he presented the background information and history. I will be adding this book to me Want to Read shelf!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Jbluestocking2
Currently Reading: The Next Worship
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbluestocking2.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Jbluestocking2 »

I love historical fiction as well and I loved your review! This book sounds right up my alley: great characters, awesome settings, learning about history as you go, dual plots in different time periods, and enough mystery and excitement to keep you holding your breath for the next book in the series!
Thanks- it's going right on my 'want to read' bookshelf!!
roamnoor
Currently Reading: God? Very Probably
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roamnoor.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by roamnoor »

This book sounds like a good book to read and it entices me to want to read.
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

londonmartine wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 12:47 Wow, what a good review! And it definitely goes to show why there's an adage about not judging a book by its cover - there's no way I would have expected the story you describe based on the cover up there. It's very Philippa Gregory - not that there's anything wrong with that, I adore her. But it sounds like a very different prospect, and your review has really inspired me to read it. Thanks!
You're welcome! I'm glad I was able to change your mind after such a strong first impression! :mrgreen:
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

stacie k wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 15:55 I'm a big fan of historical fiction! Having had trouble learning history from textbooks, I love being able to learn while reading fictional stories in a historical context. Congratulations on a well-done review! Your writing style really draws me in. For example, I like how you described the author as both gentle and firm with the way he presented the background information and history. I will be adding this book to me Want to Read shelf!
Thank you for the kind words! I hope you enjoy the book! :D

Return to “Historical Fiction”