Review of Charlie Harris

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Review of Charlie Harris

Post by Aisha Yakub »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Charlie Harris" by Brendan Mary Dempsey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Charlie Harris is a book written by Brendan Mary Dempsey. It follows Charlie's real-life experiences from his childhood to his adulthood. Charlie and his siblings were raised in one of the poorest areas of Dublin. In the tenement, the landlords allowed up to ten tenants to stay in a room. Because of the poor conditions, many children died of tuberculosis in the tenement, including Charlie's two younger sisters, Maria and Betty. Charlie's grandma hated the British; she blamed them for the loss of her husband who died fighting for the British. People living in the tenement lived in fear of the British soldiers, policemen, and the Tans. Charlie grew up experiencing poverty, pain, love, death of loved ones, starvation, and war.

This book was captivating. I laughed, cried, and got emotional while reading it. There is no doubt that the author did a wonderful work writing this book. This book had a lot of interesting events in it. The suspense, deaths, pain, shootings, killings, poverty, religion, and the fight for the independence of Ireland were concepts that made me glued to this book. I was completely immersed in it, learning from Charlie's life story.

There were numerous positive aspects of this book and life experiences that I could relate to. I got to see Charlie as a man ready to do anything to protect his loved ones. He was a fighter, and he knew what he was fighting for. Charlie made a lot of decisions that affected him and his family. I learned that the decisions I make in life have overwhelming effects. I felt pity for the people living in the part of Dublin talked about in this book. It was sad to see how they were treated. It did not surprise me that the government cared less about them. The members of the armed forces who were supposed to protect these people became their nightmares.

I liked how detailed the author was in the explanations. I was shown how no one was certain of being alive the next day. Vera Brady and Albert were also among the people I admired in this book. I liked that Vera was a strong woman. I found myself silently praying and rooting for her. Albert was an amazing friend; he was a great example of a true friend. He never hesitated to help Charlie whenever Charlie needed help.

The only thing that was a concern was that I found it a bit tedious to understand some words in this book since it was written with a Dublin accent. Although this was interesting, it was difficult for me to comprehend, and it slowed my reading speed.

I came across some punctuation errors in this book, but it was professionally edited. The errors were less than ten in number. This was a satisfying read. It is my pleasure to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy reading crime stories, biographies, and political-related books.

Charlie Harris
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
maycherono91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maycherono91.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by maycherono91 »

The story sounds heart-wrenching. Still, I would love to read it. Great review!
Dauria04
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

I love crime stories and I appreciate it when authors are detailed with explanations, I think I will like this book. Great review.
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.
Natalie Sheph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-sheph.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Natalie Sheph »

This book seems emotional and inspirational. Childhood traumas leave an eternal mark on a person, it is interesting how the main characters coped with it. Thanks for your nice review.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I don't think I would be the ideal audience for this book, but I really enjoyed reading your review. You have a way with words that got me curious. Thank you for the review!
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns

Return to “Historical Fiction”