Review of Voices in the Mist

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Review of Voices in the Mist

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Voices in the Mist" by Susanne Dunlap.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Voices in the Mist is the third book in The Orphans of Tolosa historical fiction book series. Though it is the final book in the trilogy, it serves as a prequel to the other books in the series and can be read as a standalone.

Bruna de Gansard is a true Christian, a Cathar. In an era where her family’s beliefs make them ‘heretics’, they must adopt the veneer of another faith to avoid persecution by the Catholics. Bruna unwittingly draws attention to her family when she loses her way and is accosted by a group of men. To protect her and themselves, her family accepts a marriage offer from a man of good standing with the Catholic Church, Alaman de Bosquet. Bruna, wanting to escape a fate she does not want, steals away under the cover of night. She lands herself in the company of some pilgrims, led by the Barona de Belascon, a devout follower of the Catholic Church. Experiencing feelings of guilt for joining up with those who persecute her kin’s faith, she dons a fake name and tries to forget about her past. Her beauty and her voice draw the attention of the baron, the son of the barona, much to the displeasure of the latter. Can she survive the vicissitudes of an identity above her station, or will she be trampled by the will of a bitter, vengeful old woman?

The quality of writing in Voices of the Mist led me to believe that the book has been professionally edited. I found merely four errors in the text. This small number, as well as the nature of these mistakes, speaks to how well written the book was. Some foreign words make appearances in the book, mostly in French or Lemozin (or Old Occitan), but their meanings are made understandable in context.

Settle in for a narration that has an aura of foreboding so intense that suspense forms an intrinsic part of the storyline. We see Bruna, or Arsendis, as she is later called, make some choices that are not always in her best interest. As the novel progresses, she constantly questions and seems to regret the decisions she has made. Nevertheless, she toughs it out and matures with time. I felt deeply for her as she tried to overcome the machinations of the dowager, her mother-in-law. I didn’t particularly like any of the male leads, as they seemed weak and mostly driven by their desire for Bruna, frequently doing things without her consent and over her head. Alaman is the only likeable one, and we only get brief, sporadic glimpses of him throughout the story.

I’m looking forward to reading the novels that precede this one. The events of the novels are mostly unconnected, though, in the final pages of the book, Alaman reveals interesting twists and details about other characters that refer to the previous instalments in the series. The other volumes more than likely circle around what happened to Azalaïs, Bruna’s sister, after Bruna left them. I can’t wait to read more, as the story managed to retain my attention all throughout its telling.

There was nothing to dislike in the story. The erotic scenes were not very detailed, but there is an instance of rape that readers might find uncomfortable to read. Also, only minor profanity crops up in the story. Finally, it should be noted that the Bruna is quite young – well below the adult age from modern standards – and she is even made a child bride. I feel that this makes the book historically accurate, though it is understandably off-putting to us with modern-day convictions.

I rate Voices in the Mist 4 out of 4 stars. As this book had a truly delightful plot full of delectable conflict, was well edited, and was engaging, I believe that this rating is more than deserved. I would recommend this book to people who enjoy fiction books inspired by true historical events, especially concerning the Crusades. Readers who like romance and, to a lesser extent, romantic tragedies, should also give this book a try. I don’t think those who are expecting a fantasy fiction book would find this a suitable read.

Voices in the Mist
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kingsley Emodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsley-emodi.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kingsley Emodi »

The dynamics of Bruna's life seems so intriguing. I'd love to find out more about her from the pages of the book. Nice review.
Ivvie Ivanova
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading: Beyond Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivvie-ivanova.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Spanish Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ivvie Ivanova »

Sounds like an excting and engaging read, full of memorable characters and a great plot. Will read! Thank you for your review!
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

Seems like Bruna has been through a lot and is still finding a way to get by. I would love to see how she survives everything thrown her way. Thanks for the great review.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

Quite an intriguing plot we have here. Would definitely love to have this book on my shelf. Great review here.

Return to “Historical Fiction”