What do you believe happened to Faina?

Discuss the January 2015 book of the month. The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

What do you believe happened to Faina?

Post by Scott »

The following is a discussion question from the publisher for the January 2015 book of the month, "The Snow Child" by Eowyn Ivey. Please do not read this topic until you have finished the book because this topic may contain spoilers.

What do you believe happened to Faina in the end? Who was she?

I think the author purposely left this open to interpretation. Faina could be some odd feral-like orphan who isn't magical or supernatural but who just happens to be very good at surviving in the wilderness. In that case, we must believe she either ran off to never return or she ran off to die and was not found. The alternative is that she really was a magic snow fairy of sorts. In that case, she presumably melted back into snow either as a result of spending too much time out of the snow or by giving her life force to her own child. What do you think? How did you interpret the ending?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I think she was a mix of a "real" little girl and the spirit of the snow. I think she either melted or died from her illness. I certainly didn't like that ending, though it somehow fits.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
HoneyB
Currently Reading: The Law of Moses
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeyb.html
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone

Post by HoneyB »

The ending was bittersweet. I'm picking a side and will say Faina melted into the snow. I think it's what Mabel believes because of the fairy tale book. I'm happy that the baby survived and that left something of Faina behind for Mabel, Jack, and Garret to focus on.
A book is a device to ignite the imagination.
~Alan Bennett
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone
Peaceplank1
Favorite Book: Perfume
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peaceplank1.html

Post by Peaceplank1 »

I think Faina melted just as Mabel knew she would.
Norma_Rudolph
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4245">The Gift of Lies</a>
Currently Reading: Enchantment
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-rudolph.html
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by Norma_Rudolph »

I think she was a physical manifestation of Alaskan snow. She was never meant to be in the world of men. She melted with the birth of her child just as the snow melts with the spring.
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
meaghanmae
Currently Reading: Everybody Writes
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meaghanmae.html

Post by meaghanmae »

I am really not a fan of open ended novels, I just want to know what happened!
In my opinion though, I think Faina left to die by herself. It was sad and I wish she would have stayed around for her child and husband.
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

I think that Faina sacrificed herself by having her son. She gave so much of herself that she had to return to her mystical snow world. I was struck by another thought as well. What if she was the daughter of the original Snow Child. In the story it is just her and her dad. He dies from drink and hypothermia. Did he give up because of his love for her mother knowing that he would one day lose her too? There are many questions left unanswered to this story. One can only speculate.
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

I agree that she was a manifestation of the Alaskan snow & tundra, and was never a "real" person at all. She did indeed vanish, though I wouldn't be surprised if she returned, maybe even centuries later, to a new couple (not expecting a sequel. I just interpreted her as such!)
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
jillyshub52+
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Stand
Currently Reading: Revival
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillyshub52.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by jillyshub52+ »

Since it is up to interpretation. I do think she was a tiny winter sprite as a child but when after she became closer to Mabel, Jack, and Garret her sense of magic dissappeared ever so slowly. She was only able to last so long living a mortal life because she felt such a deep and passionate love for her new family, husband, and child. In the end, I think she realized that her body wasn't built for that sort of life and in her illness transferred her love and energy to her child and became the winter. I just cannot believe that Faina was ever quite human. I love the mystery of it because that's what makes the book what it is.
Jenie
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenie.html
Latest Review: "Barnaby and Clare" by Derrick Alexander

Post by Jenie »

I think at the end Faina had to return to where she came from. The only true place she belonged to. She was a snow child, she had given everything and done her best. It was past time for her to move on the next stage. I think she returned to the forest and took on her true form. It was a sad ending, but unfortunately there were no other choices for her. She is not truly a real person. She is a magical being, so it is only natural that after a while she will be forced to return.
The Greatness of a man is in the quality of his personality and in the effectiveness of his influence ~ Chris O.
Latest Review: "Barnaby and Clare" by Derrick Alexander
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

I think that Faina came to serve a purpose. When it was all said and done she melted and returned to wherever magical place she came from. She was after all only a magical being. That was one of the elements that I loved about this story: the fairy tale aspect of it.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

I don't see anything necessarily supernatural about the ending. Faina appeared to be someone born with special abilities perfectly suited to her environment, combined with an upbringing from a master of living in a harsh wilderness ... analogous to Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, whose tremendous natural abilities were coupled with an education that maximized those abilities.

I believe she simply went back to her solitary life. Garrett's comments in the epilogue suggest he saw her again.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
Heather
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander series
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather.html
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by Heather »

After finishing the book, I described Faina as a fairy tale, and I think that she simply melted away into the snow, just as she appeared out of it. I'm not really sure how this fits in with the real child whose father died... it seemed kind of like in that instant, Faina somehow stopped being simply human, and became the snow child that they had built. It was all very mysterious and open to interpretation, but I liked it being that way.
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
rosmith
Currently Reading: Forever Twelve
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by rosmith »

Faina's end was totally appropriate and fit the story perfectly. Kept the reader guessing. I thin Faina was living between two worlds and represented how pure and elegant humans can be. But, in the end the 'human' world was too much for her. Too real. It took away her ethereal beauty and caged her spirit finally suppressing it. I think she left to meet her end in what should have been the truth of her whole existence.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

As depressing as it is I feel that Faina ran off to die where she was away from everyone and where she felt more at home, much like cats are said to do. Though she become somewhat more tied to a physical home, she was still wild at heart and wanted to get back to that one last time.

Return to “"The Snow Child" by Eowyn Ivey”