The first child vs. Faina?

Discuss the January 2015 book of the month. The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

The first child vs. Faina?

Post by Scott »

The following is a discussion question from the publisher for the January 2015 book of the month, "The Snow Child" by Eowyn Ivey. Please do not read this topic until you have finished the book because this topic may contain spoilers.

Jack and Mabel's only child is stillborn. How does this affect Mabel's relationship with Faina?

To me, sometimes Mabel came off as desperate. Her relationship with the Faina reminded me of the way the cliche overly attached girlfriend acts towards her flaky crush. :shock: What do you think?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Being a mother, I could understand Mabel and relate to her. She did sometimes came off as desperate, but it was understandable.

lol an amusing comparison. I didn't think she was that bad... :D
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

LOL ... without doubt there is a desperation in Mabel and this makes her overprotective of Faina. She is scared, as any parent of a still born child would be, and cannot even contemplate having to face the pain of losing a second child.
I can see what you mean, Scott, in that Mabel almost kills Faina becasuse she so desperately want her safe and her over protectiveness could easily have driven Faina away.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
HoneyB
Currently Reading: The Law of Moses
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeyb.html
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone

Post by HoneyB »

Mabel was heartbroken and still depressed over the death of her first/only child. She was very fearful of having to repeat that process with Faina. Once Faina became tangible to Jack and Mabel, Mabel was desperate to keep her. She wasn't a replacement, but Faina was able to heal something in both Jack and Mable.
A book is a device to ignite the imagination.
~Alan Bennett
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

I feel that Mabel's first child being a stillborn reflects the fact that Mabel was so young. She really wasn't ready for the whole motherhood experience. I feel that was shown when she couldn't even face the burial of the child. By the time Faina came along she had matured to the point where she could be motherly. It was interesting to watch how she formed the attachment to Faina and how that attachment in itself helped her to grow through the rest of the grieving cycle so that she could move on. It was also interesting to see her reaction towards the end of the story when her acceptance of the situation and Faina's passing occurred. She had reached a point of acceptance.
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Jenie
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenie.html
Latest Review: "Barnaby and Clare" by Derrick Alexander

Post by Jenie »

Faina was a recovering pill that Mabel got addicted to. It was very painful for Mabel to have a still born child. It left her devasted and thereby leading to her desperately clinging to Faina. Faina filled the void that was left in Mabel's heart from the first child- maybe not completely, but she soothed it. I thought Mabel loved Faina to the point that she was obsessed with her. She imagined her child in Faina.
The Greatness of a man is in the quality of his personality and in the effectiveness of his influence ~ Chris O.
Latest Review: "Barnaby and Clare" by Derrick Alexander
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

Faina is like hope to Mabel. Having already lost one child the way she did, Faina's presence is hope for the distraught Mabel. In an attempt to protect that shred of hope, Mabel became overprotective which was both good and bad. Good because it showed her love for Faina but bad because well...Faina could have left to escape her.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Heather
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander series
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather.html
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by Heather »

It was obvious that losing their own child affected Mabel greatly. It's why they moved to the Alaskan wilderness; so they wouldn't have to be around the knowing looks and watch other people enjoy their children. So, when she got another chance, as I think she saw it, with Faina, she was desperate to hold on.
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I agree that the loss of her first child made Mabel want to control what happened to Faina, she just wanted her to be safe but she did come off as controlling and desperate at times. But when Faina grew older it seems like Mabel let go of a lot of that and was able to play more of a supporting role.

Return to “"The Snow Child" by Eowyn Ivey”