The Swan

Discuss the January 2015 book of the month. The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

The Swan

Post by Scott »

The following is a discussion question from the publisher for the January 2015 book of the month, "The Snow Child" by Eowyn Ivey. Please do not read this topic until you have finished the book because this topic may contain spoilers.

The first time Garrett sees Faina in person is when he spies her killing a wild swan. What is the significance of this scene?

I believe these played two crucial roles. Firstly, it established Faina as more real by being seen by someone other than Jack or Mabel. Secondly, it was the first step in their love affair. What do you think?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
HoneyB
Currently Reading: The Law of Moses
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeyb.html
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone

Post by HoneyB »

He was shocked that a 'girl' was capable of killing such a majestic-looking creature. It was almost funny to me when I was reading this part. His feelings were all tangled up at seeing her that first time.

I was so happy that someone else FINALLY saw Faina besides Jack & Mabel!
A book is a device to ignite the imagination.
~Alan Bennett
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I wasn't too shocked since I realized she must have killed animals before to survive. I was happy as well that someone else finally saw her, since I started to think she was a fata morgana... 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
HMJones
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hmjones.html

Post by HMJones »

Does anyone else think that considering the fairytale layer to this there is any link to 'The Swan Princess'?
Norma_Rudolph
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4245">The Gift of Lies</a>
Currently Reading: Enchantment
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-rudolph.html
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by Norma_Rudolph »

HMJones wrote:Does anyone else think that considering the fairytale layer to this there is any link to 'The Swan Princess'?
I thought of that too. But, it's a pretty tenuous link because the Swan Princess had all those brothers and the Snow Child is so alone, and seems destined to stay that way. The Swab Princess also has a much happier ending.
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
BookWorm07
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm07.html
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil

Post by BookWorm07 »

I agree; that scene was the first time Faina is seen as a 'real' girl. It was also when she seems like a fierce, independent grown up rather than the lost little child of Jack and Mabel.
"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" - J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil
Peaceplank1
Favorite Book: Perfume
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peaceplank1.html

Post by Peaceplank1 »

When Garrett witnesses Faina killing the swan he is mesmerized. He is in admiration of this wild creature as well as jealous of her. Does this scene foreshadow Faina's future? I wonder if Faina could be compared to the swan; beautiful and wild, snared and ultimately smothered to death? Too far?
meaghanmae
Currently Reading: Everybody Writes
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meaghanmae.html

Post by meaghanmae »

I felt relief that okay, she is real, not just a figment of Mabel and Jack's imagination. It also made her look strong and capable, up to this point she just seemed to float along and things just worked out for her with little effort.
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

The significance is multi-faceted. The most obvious aspect is that Faina is a real girl not just imagined. Then we see that the strong capable young man also has a vulnerable side to him. Faina affects Garrett in a way that no one else has ever been capable of. She even at this point seems more capable than him with the way she tackles the business of dispatching the swan. Then her conscientious manner in which she takes care of the hide and meat of the swan shows a careful side to her.
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

It was a huge relief that Jack and Mabel weren't hallucinating or anything and that Faina's actually real.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

Not only does this scene make it clear that Faina is indeed a real person, it shows that she is more proficient with wilderness living than Garrett is. This is likely the source of his initial resentment of her.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
Jenie
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenie.html
Latest Review: "Barnaby and Clare" by Derrick Alexander

Post by Jenie »

Faina killing the swan was such a significant moment in the book. It was proof that she was not a phantom fueled by the imagination of Jack and Mabel, since she could be seen by others. It was also the beginning of the relationship between Faina and Garrett.
The Greatness of a man is in the quality of his personality and in the effectiveness of his influence ~ Chris O.
Latest Review: "Barnaby and Clare" by Derrick Alexander
rosmith
Currently Reading: Forever Twelve
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by rosmith »

I think Faina's killing of the swan represented her venture into this more 'human' world. She obviously knew Garrett was watching her. Faina was just as taken by Garrett and he was with her. The use of the swan feathers at the wedding solidified that point to me. It showed that she had more grit than was revealed previously in the book.
Heather
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander series
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather.html
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by Heather »

I agree that this was the scene that made me see Faina as more human than mystical. This was also the point at which I knew that Garrett and Faina would become romantically involved, mainly because he was the first person to see her other than Mable and Jack, and he seemed so drawn to her, even in his frustration.
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I felt it also showed him that he was wrong about women, he thought a girl wouldn't be able to survive in the wild. When he finally sees her he realizes that he was wrong about her being made up, and when he sees her kill the swan he learns that she is more than capable of fending for herself.

Return to “"The Snow Child" by Eowyn Ivey”