Why are Jack and Mabel emotionally estranged?

Discuss the January 2015 book of the month. The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey.
rosmith
Currently Reading: Forever Twelve
Bookshelf Size: 7

Re: Why are Jack and Mabel emotionally estranged?

Post by rosmith »

I agree with previous posters that grief caused a certain estrangement. They didn't fully overcome the grief until the end of the book when their two worlds met. That is once Mabel became a part of the land by farming and fishing and united in a different kind of grief with the loss of Faina. This time not a grief of regret. But one with an evolvution of love seen with a 'grandchild'.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

Lilapo9 wrote:The division of labor could have resulted from Jack trying to protect Mabel from her inability to handle grief. He may have misinterpreted her delicateness in dealing with grief to another areas of their life too. Husbands sometimes feel duty bound to protect their wives in the best way that they can.
I agree with lilapo9 on this, and the several other comments, so often in grief of losing a child both parents need to deal with it in their own way, while the male tends to want to also protect his partner by giving her space and privacy to grieve. This can lead to what jack and Mabel have where he's focusing on the farm and providing for her and not seeing that they could both benefit from comfort in communication and physical contact.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

People grieve in different ways, and unfortunately Mabel and Jack have different ways. Luckily at the end Jack is able to comfort Mabel. I would imagine though that what they went through would leave some lasting emotional distance between the two.
Papiiikay
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Papiiikay »

Well ,in a conclusion , people grieved in a different ways and also both of them have different characters, but at the end jack was able to care of Mabel and a little distance during the challenges.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

I understand that losing a baby can be so different, I felt they should have supported rather than going apart

Return to “"The Snow Child" by Eowyn Ivey”