How does Mabel's sense of the land change during the story?

Discuss the January 2015 book of the month. The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

How does Mabel's sense of the land change during the story?

Post by Scott »

The following is a discussion question from the publisher for the January 2015 book of the month, "The Snow Child" by Eowyn Ivey.

When Mabel first arrives in Alaska, it seems a bleak and lonely place to her. Does her sense of the land change over time? If so, how?

I think it is clear she comes to appreciate the enjoyment of homesteading and relying oneself in the wilderness. An interesting aspect of that is the way her view of Alaska mirrors her own changing feelings in general and happiness changes. What do you think?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

After she started working in the fields, she appreciated and enjoyed the place better. Before that she was too depressed to take all in and the place reflected her mood. She was passive and watched life from the side lines in a manner of speaking. As she became more active and happier, so her view about the place changed.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
HoneyB
Currently Reading: The Law of Moses
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeyb.html
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone

Post by HoneyB »

gali wrote:After she started working in the fields, she appreciated and enjoyed the place better. Before that she was too depressed to take it all in and the place reflected her mood. She was passive and watched life from the side lines in a manner of speaking. As she became more active and happier, so her view about the place changed.
Well said! I agree 100%.
A book is a device to ignite the imagination.
~Alan Bennett
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone
KristineNicole
Favorite Author: Emily Bronte
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: The Snow Child By Eowym Ivey
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristinenicole.html
fav_author_id: 2494

Post by KristineNicole »

After Faina came and after Mabel started spending time with Esther, she seemed happier to me. And the descriptions of what she was seeing became more vivid.
Miss_Jane2014
Currently Reading: Better Off Dead by H.P Mallory
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-jane2014.html

Post by Miss_Jane2014 »

In the beginning Mabel was so depressed, and she truly was disconnected with the land. As the story progressed though, and she started to find herself, the way she was seeing the land was changing. To me it seemed like she came to appreciate, and love the land more as she left her bleak state behind.
Peaceplank1
Favorite Book: Perfume
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peaceplank1.html

Post by Peaceplank1 »

As Mabel grew, so did her appreciation for the Alaskan wilderness. She not only discovered beauty within the landscape but within others and her self. To me, it is as though someone turned a light on in Mabel's life.
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

Mabel appears to be satisfied with the wilderness only in the epilogue. But I'm not sure she has really adapted; what she truly enjoys is being in charge of Little Jack's upbringing. Otherwise, she would have found reasons to constantly whine, as she did previously.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
Jenie
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenie.html
Latest Review: "Barnaby and Clare" by Derrick Alexander

Post by Jenie »

The land reflected Mabel's mood. She was depressed and unhappy, but as she became more active in the fields, her sense of land changed. She became happier and she saw the land with new eyes. The land became her home and she began to appreciate it more.
The Greatness of a man is in the quality of his personality and in the effectiveness of his influence ~ Chris O.
Latest Review: "Barnaby and Clare" by Derrick Alexander
easedlak
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by easedlak »

I think it took Jack's injury for her to the language of the land more fluently. Esther definitely contributed to it: she was Mabel's example of how life can succeed in the context of wilderness. She was emotional support, she was practical support, but she also stood apart as a guidepost. Once Mabel had a reason to learn the how of the land, and had a guidepost to help her navigate, her whole sense of the land seemed to change.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

I think Faina's love of the outdoors influenced Mabel's perception of the land. As she grew to love Faina more, I think she also learned to love that which Faina loved - the woods, the snow, and everything in them.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I agree that her depression was mirrored back in the landscape and when Faina comes into her life some of that depression lifts and she is more open to the good things about Alaska. Plus, the harsh winters were made more bearable when she knew Faina would be coming back, so the winter blues couldn't really dampen her spirits anymore.
Princewill Uchenna
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princewill-uchenna.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Princewill Uchenna »

After she started working in the fields, she appreciated and enjoyed the place better. Before that she was too depressed to take all in and the place reflected her mood

Return to “"The Snow Child" by Eowyn Ivey”