Ayrton Senna

Discuss the December 2014 book of the month, The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Ayrton Senna

Post by Scott »

Following is a discussion question from the author for the December 2014 book of the month, "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein.

The character of Ayrton Senna, as he is presented in the book, is heroic, almost a mythic figure. Why do you think this character resonates so strongly for Denny?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

I am a little confused by this question. Does Ayrton Senna resonate strongly for Denny? How do we know that, what did I miss?
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
campbellco4
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by campbellco4 »

I think Denny feels this way because Ayrton Senna was an aggressive racer who set goals and met as well as exceeded them. I believe Denny looked up to him as a role model of the type of racer he wanted to be. Ayrton died in a tragic accident and whether directly or indirectly he achieved mythic status - basically, his legend grew. He was controversial and other racers either liked him or hated him. The women loved him.
Denny's "kinship" with Ayrton Senna gives us a deeper understanding of not only the kind of racer Denny wanted to be, but also the kind of person he was. That is, until he falls in love and starts a family.
Easily one of my favorite books.

Return to “"The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein”