Do you look at your dog differently now?

Discuss the December 2014 book of the month, The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Do you look at your dog differently now?

Post by Scott »

Following is a discussion question from the author for the December 2014 book of the month, "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein.

Do you find yourself looking at your own dog differently after reading this novel?

I do not have a dog, so for me it's a no. What about you?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I do have a dog and I don't treat him much differently, but then I have always considered him part of our family. :wink:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
HoneyB
Currently Reading: The Law of Moses
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeyb.html
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone

Post by HoneyB »

There was a moment where I looked at my dog differently. I know his mind isn't as complex as a humans, and we always treat him well and love him, but the book served as a bit of a reminder that he loves us too in his own way. Denny and Enzo were awesome! Great book. Never thought I'd read something from a dog's perspective.
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone
lincolnp
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lincolnp »

I read this book approximately 2 1/2 years ago. I loved it and read the whole thing in about 6 hrs during our drive back home from my brother's (my brother in law had given me the book). I didn't really treat my dogs any different after reading the book. I have always treated them like humans (accept they pee in the yard and we don't, etc.) and part of the family. I too had never read a book from a dog's perspective but I ceased to think of that as I got further into the book. I think I may have to read that book again.
Artiste8
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Artiste8 »

I have two dogs and I don't treat them differently, they are like family to us. Enzo did remind me of a dog I used to have. It seemed my dog didn't know she was a dog and she thought she was human. It was very funny, I guess it's the way we treated her. I felt she knew what I was feeling and I always knew what she wanted. We understood each and had this connection. Dogs really are our best friends even if people don't always treat them like that.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Our dog has never seemed like a dog and has always been like our third child. Our previous dog, who lived 15 1/2 years, was more like Enzo and acted like he was human. He also liked to watch TV, which was pretty funny. He was just like a third child in the household and followed my boys everywhere. Even when they were babies, my dog stood at the door when I would get the stroller out to take the kids for a walk. He often jumped in the stroller first. I always felt he was highly intelligent and not like other dogs, who were just dogs :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

It makes me love my dogs a lot more. They do a lot of the same things. Now, it just amuses me :)
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

I don't have a dog, but you know what? I want one, and I think this book has more to do with it than I'd care to admit. I read it for the first time years ago, so I can't be sure how much it's influenced my thought process, dog-wise.
zoedecicco
Favorite Book: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoedecicco.html
Latest Review: "The Bad Path to Enlightenment" by Lee A. Eide

Post by zoedecicco »

I feel the same it's just made me want a dog even more. I'm promised one once we move to the States in a few months - exciting!
"80% of success is showing up" - Woody Allen

"There are no small parts, only small actors." - Constantin Stanislavski
Latest Review: "The Bad Path to Enlightenment" by Lee A. Eide
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

I seriously doubt the thoughts that go through my dog's mind are nearly as complex as Enzo's. haha. I love her and spoil her, but no I don't think I look at her differently. I have always been conscientious of not leaving her home alone, etc. She is my little diva. Honestly, I kind of hope she doesn't have some of the thoughts Enzo had... it was really awkward for me at times.
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Post by Anacoana »

I have two dogs and I've always believed that they have their own thoughts and personalities much like humans. So while it didn't make me look at them differently, it did give me some fun insight into things that they might think.
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

I don't have a dog anymore, but I do not look back at him any differently. I'm not sure why I would, the whole premise of Enzo's experience is entertaining, but totally ridiculous.
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

I do not have a dog currently but there have been dog siblings and dog children in my life and I have always wondered just what they thought about or felt. The dog-souls that I shared my life with painfully passive to a fault. Never offering to harm, always happy to greet and just celebrate the simple things in life. They were also adept at manipulating us too. When I read about Enzo's orchestration to get Denny to let him go, I was reminded of several kind souls that had their own way of letting me know it was their time. I too could relate with Denny when he was telling his friend Mike about there not being a return trip. Letting go is often the hardest thing to do.
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

The book made me think about how I treat my dogs, and reminded me that just because they're not people doesn't mean they should be treated that much more differently. I try to me more aware of how I treat my dogs and that I should spend more time with them and try not to get annoyed so easily if they do something they shouldn't because they're probably just are trying to get my attention. I try to be more loving towards them and I want to make sure that my dogs know that I love them, I don't want them to feel mistreated or like I don't care for them. I think of them more as little furry family members, not just animals that live in my house.
Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by Little House »

I don't have a dog but would like to get one. I think maybe this book sets up unrealistic expectations for a dog, but I haven't had a dog in 30 years, so I don't really know. I would like to think that dogs can think like Enzo.
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison

Return to “"The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein”