Reincarnation and karma?

Discuss the December 2014 book of the month, The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.
gypsy2413
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Reincarnation and karma?

Post by gypsy2413 »

I totally and truly believe in reincarnation and karma..............We are here to learn and advance in our lives............. :)
Moribund
Favorite Author: Loren Eiseley
Favorite Book: The Star Thrower
Currently Reading: The Stranger

Post by Moribund »

Hi. New to this forum. Great discussion. Nome of us have a clue, do we? I just love the exchange of ideas. I sense that our souls are like air trapped in a balloon. We are all sharing the same life force. When we or Any living thing dies it all gets mixed together, like exhaling. So in a sense I do feel we are reincarnated a million times over. The soul material that got trapped in my body feels happy to be here spending time on Earth for a few years. Where will a bit of me go next?

In my thinking, karma can't exist. None of us is an individual that has individual cosmic importance enough for good or bad things to be attached.

Just my two "sense". Keep talking. You guys have a great medium here.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I don't believe in reincarnation or karma, but I do believe that you reap what you sow. If you behave badly, then don't be too surprised if bad things come your away, and vice-versa. It's common sense, really.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Norma_Rudolph
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4245">The Gift of Lies</a>
Currently Reading: Enchantment
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-rudolph.html
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by Norma_Rudolph »

I don't believe in reincarnation either, but I do think that "what goes around comes around" and we get out of life what we put into it.
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
EpiTome

Post by EpiTome »

Reincarnation and karma appears to be bordering on superstition and religion, none of which are objective. In the case of reincarnation I believe we only have one opportunity of life we should optimize it. Karma, in my opinion, is sitting beside luck and coincidence.
freelancer101
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freelancer101.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by freelancer101 »

The answer to your first question lies in the Enzo's statement ''Here’s why I will be a good person. Because I listen. I cannot speak, so I listen very well. I never interrupt, I never deflect the course of the conversation with a comment of my own....... Learn to listen! I beg of you. Pretend you are a dog like me and listen to other people rather than steal their stories.'' So being trapped in a dog's body he is able to listen more, add that to the intelligent thinking of a human brain and voila you get a sage dog.
I don't believe in reincarnation or karma but I do believe in afterlife. You get to live only once and if you do evil deeds you are either punished in this world (not by being born in another state of existence) or in the afterlife.
angelbeats1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelbeats1.html
Latest Review: Iran Before . . . by Dennis Briskin

Post by angelbeats1 »

It all depends. I believe in karma so some extent, but it doesn't 100% dictate how I go about my daily life. It really just depends on the person and what they believe in. All in all, I believe that we should all follow the Golden Tule and respect one another so we will not have to worry about karma.
Kappy
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

I believe in "the supernatural" because the only alternative is to believe that humans already know everything of importance. Similarly, I believe in "conspiracy theories" because the only alternative is to believe that politicians and other people with great power always tell the truth. I have no problem in believing in a soul that evolves and inhabits various physical bodies.

Modern scientists, and their predecessors for thousands of years, have always claimed to have up-to-date and correct explanations of our world. You might say that science is simply the act of a scientist proving that previous scientists were wrong.

It is generally accepted that a human body is made of about 100 trillion cells. Every second, millions of cells die and are replaced by new cells. Life is infinitely more complicated than we can imagine....

For example, in a book I read recently (Use Both Sides of Your Brain by Tony Buzan), the author relates the following: (1) hundreds of thousands of different chemical reactions take place in a human brain every minute, (2) a human brain contains about one trillion neurons, (3) the number of different patterns you can make in your brain is far, far greater than the number of atoms in the universe.

I believe that anything that a human brain can imagine is indeed possible.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

I don't believe in karma per se. I mean, I do like to think that what goes around comes around in the end because if you like a good life, you'll have no regrets and the good things you've done will eventually be returned. Case in point, I've been paying stuff for my sister and I'm broke so just yesterday, she remembered and she gave me stuff too. Likewise for the bad. It's all in the mind, I guess. We like to think that people who have done bad things with have bad things coming for them. It's just us wanting justice. So I do believe in karma and yet, I don't. As for reincarnation... That's subject to speculation. Although, I do have three dogs and my family likes to think of it as the three siblings I've lost. Funny thing is that they're two girls and a boy too.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Kappy
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

The ancient Vedic texts from India (dismissed by Western "scientists" as mere fiction) contain numerous fascinating writings on a wide variety of subjects. In the book Proof of Vedic Culture's Global Existence (2009), author Stephen Knapp tells us that according to the Vedic literature, only about 10% of all living beings exist within the confines of material creation; the other 90% "are eternally liberated in the spiritual realm." Also, "the real world is the spiritual world, ... Within the spiritual sky, the material world manifests like a cloud in the corner of it."
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

The whole idea of reincarnation and karma is fascinating. I think that its great that Srein's book has allowed us to question this unknown. I truly believe that if we put forth good deeds, it will all come back to us in some great way. I may be completely wrong to believe this but I must. I am unsure if I believe in reincarnation, but it is something to think about. What if we do get to come back in the same way that Enzo did? No one really knows for sure. I really appreciate the fact that Stein's book, 'The Art of Racing in the Rain' has allowed us to open our minds and consider these ideas.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

I don't believe in reincarnation; however, I think there might be something to the idea of karma. Even the Bible has a variation of it. For instance, take a simple idea: hi risk, hi reward, tooth for a tooth, live by the sword, die by the sword. I've had my fair share of good and bad karma. And I think I prefer good karma.
Enzo's human soul influenced the story greatly. For example, when he urinates on Denny's papers, he does so because of a human emotion. He observes things the way humans do. He likes bananas!
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I do believe in reincarnation, and I always have. I also think we go somewhere between lives, to review and catch up as souls and commune and choose our next lives. I believe in old souls, such as Mother Theresa or Jesus or St. Joan, and I reckon they've lived many, many times to have the maturity they showed in their lives as we knew them. I also believe in close souls, similar to soul mates: people with whom we either have a supportive relationship with or a karmic one. Meaning, either they'll help us through difficult times and day-to-day life, or they'll bring some form of conflict into our lives that needs to be worked through. I think that these relationships (particularly the former) develop and grow closer over many lives.

As for karma, in a broad sense, I think it's the issues we bring into our lives and the people who draw those issues out of us. I don't see it as a "payback" thing, so I'm in agreement with Scott's opening post to a large extent. (However, people do sometimes need to believe that the jerk on the road will "get what's coming to him," in order to feel better about encountering a bad person.) Sorry I haven't read the discussion book, but those are my thoughts in general!
Alwhitbeck
Favorite Author: Jeaniene Frost
Currently Reading: Maids of Misfortune
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwhitbeck.html
Latest Review: "The No-Nonsense Guide To Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis" by Adam Webber
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 3311

Post by Alwhitbeck »

I believe in both to some extent. I can't imagine that everyone has only one chance in life and that there are billions upon billions of souls that have passed through this world to never return. Despite the fact that there is no actual proof of what happens once our bodies die, many people have their own beliefs, and reincarnation is mine. Maybe after so many trips through life, we do get a chance to be at eternal peace at some spiritual place, but I haven't made a decision about that.

Karma I believe happens, though it's not as simple as it's passed off to be. I believe that not everyone receives what they put out there, but I do believe that in general we get what we put out to others. I think a lot of Karma also depends on how our mind set it. Singular events can have different effects on people so that also plays a part. Either way, I follow the golden rule - Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.
Latest Review: "The No-Nonsense Guide To Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis" by Adam Webber
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Kappy wrote:Modern scientists, and their predecessors for thousands of years, have always claimed to have up-to-date and correct explanations of our world. You might say that science is simply the act of a scientist proving that previous scientists were wrong.
I have been saying that for years!!!
I actually just read a book where a string theorist said the same thing.

I also just read Flatland, by Edwin A. Abbott, it's a narrative look at different dimensions. The author called the fourth dimension "the dimension of thought", and seemed to imply it as a sort of "spiritual" dimension.

I found that quite interesting.

As for the whole discussion of karma and reincarnation, I choose to believe that anything is possible. I think it would be sad to have all the answers. What would humans strive for if not the ultimate truth?
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.

Return to “"The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein”