Reincarnation and karma?

Discuss the December 2014 book of the month, The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Re: Reincarnation and karma?

Post by Taylor Razzani »

While I don't necessarily believe in either, I liked how the book ended with Enzo's "reincarnation". It's great to think that your soul will find its way back to your loved ones in the end. Especially after the chapter before that made me incredibly sad.
Toria Mason
Currently Reading: Thirteen Reasons Why
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toria-mason.html
Latest Review: "The Last Valentine" by Felix Alexander

Post by Toria Mason »

I do think I believe in karma. I believe what energies you put out are what energies you will receive. There's at least two sorts of karma, where you will have karma completed in one lifetime, or that karma will be carried out in your next life...which is where reincarnation plays a role in karma. I believe that any karma will be completed in your current life, and I don't really believe in reincarnation...or to be more exact: I don't want to. I don't want to be anyone but who I am right now. I've been told before that I have an old soul, as if I've lived and grown through many lives, which is a sort of interesting thought. But when it boils down to it, I just want to be me. I just want this life. Sure there are times I wish I could start over....but with THIS life. I definitely don't want to have do-over's with a whole other life altogether. I can't say if it exists. I can't say what happens in the afterlife as I'm still living. But I'd like to think my soul goes on, in its current form only.
Latest Review: "The Last Valentine" by Felix Alexander
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I believe in both reincarnation and karma. I found the way they were dealt with in this book to be interesting. It's comforting to think that good things happen to good people and that someone could find their way back to their loved ones.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I do believe in Karma. What goes around comes around. But I don't believe in its link with something supernatural. Both of these things are quite different for me.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Karen0823
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karen0823.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Karen0823 »

On the subject of reincarnation, my favorite part of the book reads: 'In Mongolia, when a dog dies, he is buried high in the hills so people cannot walk on his grave. The dog’s master whispers into the dog’s ear his wishes that the dog will return as a man in his next life. Then his tail is cut off and put beneath his head, and a piece of meat or fat is placed in his mouth to sustain his soul on its journey; before he is reincarnated, the dog’s soul is freed to travel the land, to run across the high desert plains for as long as it would like.' I love this verse and think of it often, as my dog is approaching 13 years old and I hope this for her, as she is the most human animal I know.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

I don't believe in reincarnation but there are times when I feel I've done something or met someone in a time I can't really place. Karma isn't necessarily an actual force. I think people invented it to cope.
atonykamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atonykamau.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by atonykamau »

I am not a believer or reincarnation but I do believe in karma, that is that what you do unto others will be done unto you.
kelvinmwaniki17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinmwaniki17.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by kelvinmwaniki17 »

I can't say I believe in both the concept of reincarnation seems more like a fantasy. In the case of karma, I don't think that the whole idea that good things happen to good people and bad things happen to bad people really happens in the real world,
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I read this book a while ago, but I remember loving the reincarnation aspect of the book. I believe in reincarnation and in soul families. It makes sense to me that we all travel through existence over and over with the same general group of other souls. I think reincarnation gets a bad rap by being associated with people who are sure they were Joan of Arc in another life. I think it is about relationship. We continue to work through unfinished business with other souls in our group, regardless of what human body they inhabit. I do think animals reincarnate as well.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I'm not completely sure about reincarnation, but I lean more towards yes. I believe in karma, but I do sometimes question it. My mom should have great karma, but things continue to go badly for her. Although she sometimes says it would probably be worse if she didn't have good karma.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

I don't believe in reincarnation but it's the only real way for karma to possibly make sense.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

The thought of reincarnation scares me, to be honest. And as for karma, I'd love to believe it exists but there are far too many corrupt people with too much power and money who use them for awful purposes. And somehow never get what they deserve.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Life has shown me already many times that karma exists in a certain way. One of my favorite quotes is: Life is like a mirror: If you smile at it, it will will smile back at you. That's how I see karma (either in positive or negative way). As far as reincarnation goes, I hope it's true!
zayyyna
Currently Reading: My "Enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zayyyna.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by zayyyna »

yeah i agree , there is nothing like incarnation

Return to “"The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein”