Reincarnation and karma?

Discuss the December 2014 book of the month, The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Reincarnation and karma?

Post by Scott »

Following is a discussion question from the author for the December 2014 book of the month, "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein.

In the first chapter, Enzo says: "It's what's inside that's important. The soul. And my soul is very human." How does Enzo's situation—a human soul trapped in a dog's body—influence his opinions about what he sees around him? How do you feel about the ideas of reincarnation and karma as Enzo defines them?

I do not believe in reincarnation or karma in the magical or supernatural sense. However, I think it is so true and demonstrated so well by the story in this book that what goes around comes around. I don't think because there are magic fairies giving people what they deserve. I think it is simply the art of racing in the rain--the idea that if you stay level-headed, take responsibility for yourself and focus on the long-game that you reach your goals. If you just react to negative events, then you let them control you. For instance, it's not some magic karma that causes the person who gets caught up in an escalated road rage battle with someone else to succumb to problems as opposed to the guy who just takes a deep breathe and keeps going rather than trying to 'get even'; it's the choice to ruin yourself reacting to someone else's immaturity with foolishness as opposed to controlling your own path. What do you think?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Ditto! I agree with every word you wrote! You summed it up perfectly!

I don't believe in reincarnation as well and think like you.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
buddyroo
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buddyroo.html
Latest Review: "Planetary Assault" by David VanDyke, Vaughn Heppner, BV Larson

Post by buddyroo »

I do not believe in reincarnation or Karma either, unless you want to define Karma as you will get out of the world what you put into it. I call it human nature, not a supernatural experience. You always find what you are looking for. If you are looking for trouble, you will eventually find it. If you are looking for happiness, you will eventually find it. People act a lot like Newton's Laws of Motion. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.
Latest Review: "Planetary Assault" by David VanDyke, Vaughn Heppner, BV Larson
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

I completely agree Scott. I sometimes allow myself to wonder what kinds of things could be possible, and I find various theories incredibly interesting. But yeah generally karma... is more like a person with bad habits who reacts without thinking.... generally ends up suffering from their own hasty actions.
I love LOVE. <3
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I definitely do not believe in karma or reincarnation.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
raindropwriter
Favorite Author: Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Book: Twenties Girl
Currently Reading: Strugling for Justice
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raindropwriter.html
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
fav_author_id: 2960

Post by raindropwriter »

I dont believe in reincarnations but I do strongly believe in Karma! What you give definitely comes back to you! I have myself experienced and observed people having their own share of karma! This belief in Karma helps me in keeping away from wrong doings and hurting people! :)

I'm going to read "The art of racing in the rain" as it sounds like a book I desperately need right now to make me feel better. :cry:
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Post by Anacoana »

Karma is something that's very real in my opinion, just from things I've experienced as well as the fact that how we see ourselves for the things we do affects our mindset and becomes a type of self-fulfilling prophecy. I have no firm idea on what happens after death simply because there are so many possibilities that we've imagined and so many that we haven't, but reincarnation is a very strong possibility in my mind.
BookWorm07
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm07.html
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil

Post by BookWorm07 »

Karma, I feel, is true to an extent. We get back what we put into the world. However reincarnation is up to debate, seeing no one can conclusively tell what happens to our souls after death. It is one of the many possibilities.
"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" - J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

rssllue wrote:I definitely do not believe in karma or reincarnation.
Me neither.
Even though deep down I just actually wish I don't have any more lives because I think one is enough.
Unless I'm granted more lives so I can keep reading books. Now that's talking. :mrgreen:
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I believe in karma. As far as reincarnation, the jury is still out on that one. When I was a child, I used to get feelings of deja vu quite often. Maybe I was reincarnated and had been in that candy store before LOL Anyway, all kidding aside, I stopped getting that deja vu feeling once I got a little order, so it always made me wonder if there was something to reincarnation.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
lincolnp
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lincolnp »

My oldest sister believes in reincarnation. There is a big age gap between us so we were young when she first talked about it. We were sitting around the picnic table and she was explaining how the little green bug that was crawling by would be reincarnated, hopefully into a higher life form. Then her two year old son gleefully stepped on it. :lol:
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

I generally believe that ideas like reincarnation and karma are just other forms of human coping mechanisms -- attempts to find meaning in out lives. (To borrow from Marx)Opiates for the masses, if you will. I don't think they are real or true, but they sure do help us get through life.
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
Aspen_Reads
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Aspen_Reads »

I definitely believe in Karma and Reincarnation. I think that they are real because whenever something good happens, I know that it is because I was putting positive energy out into the world, and the positivity was coming back to me. I believe in reincarnation, and I think that we definitely have to be the best we can, in order to appease the higher beings, and not come back as a rat.
"I was born with a reading list I will never finish." -Maud Casey
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

I don't think karma exists- its just bad luck. You always have those days where you're always tripping while walking on the sidewalk. That was my feeble attempt of something
I am a free spirit
like mafia
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html

Post by Skillian »

Yeah... people just have bad days... some have bad lives. My best friend was actually very unlucky for about two years... just everything just kept going wrong no matter what she tried to do. We used to joke that she was just getting all the bad karma out of the way for all the good that would come later. Though I don't think the karma theory even works that way. haha. She is doing amazing now... but.... it is due to her never giving up and continuing to work hard despite hard times.
I love LOVE. <3

Return to “"The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein”