What if Denny narrated the novel?

Discuss the December 2014 book of the month, The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.
jazziemommie
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazziemommie.html
Latest Review: "Noise" by Brett Garcia Rose

Re: What if Denny narrated the novel?

Post by jazziemommie »

If the story had been narrated by Denny, I most likely never would have read it. I can see it being something my father might have read: a story focusing on a lifelong love of racing and a family tragedy that ends or in this case ignites the champion's career. Making Enzo the narrator was genius--It brought so many more readers to this book.
Latest Review: "Noise" by Brett Garcia Rose
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

Definitely would not have been as good.

I was leery of this book originally because I feared that the dog-narrative would be too gimmicky, but I found myself really enjoying it, and my initial fears were misled. This wasn't a book that was just in the dog's perspective for the sake of being unique, so I think having Deny narrate would really take away from what it had.
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

As written, the vocabulary attributed to Enzo is far too extensive to be believable as coming from a dog. I can imagine the book with Denny as the narrator; it could have better that way, since Denny could speculate as to Enzo's thoughts, using the terminology of an educated human.

But I think the novel would have been best as a third-person narrative; that way, the thoughts of Enzo could have been described without the reader needing to believe in a dog who could think with such humanlike language and impeccable grammar. Indeed, much of this book sounds as if it were originally narrated in the third person, then hastily converted to a dog narrator to give it a gimmick to increase sales.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

I agree. Had Denny narrated the novel It wouldn't have been as interesting to read. Who wants to hear someone talking about themselves all the time? I know I don't. The fact that Enzo sung Denny's praises made it more believable and also quite entertaining. Stein's idea to tell this story from a dog's point of view was ingenious. If it was told from Denny's point of view, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as I did.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

The story might have been the same, but wouldn't have been as enjoyable. There were some things Enzo couldn't explain, like what happened during Denny's trail. If Denny narrated the novel, Enzo would've been more of a character in the background, and that would've just ruined the whole experience.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
litmonster
Currently Reading: Library of Souls
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-litmonster.html

Post by litmonster »

It absolutely wouldn't have been the same story if it had been done from Denny's point of view, for multiple reasons. It's Enzo's unique perspective and third party observer status that gives this book the voice it deserves. I don't think I would have read the story if not for Enzo's voice, and I know my mother would have had no interest in it (she's the one who recommended it to me and starting reading it to me in hospital). Denny's perspective would have been so different, and he didn't have the same lessons to learn or work through that Enzo did. As others have said, different narrator would give you a different story, but one told by Denny probably isn't one that I would be all that interested in, truth be told.
Jausten11
Favorite Book: sun also rises
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jausten11.html

Post by Jausten11 »

The narrator is what made the story come to life. It should not be changed!
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I don't think I would have enjoyed reading "The Art of Racing in the Rain" if Denny had been the narrator, because that would take all the fun away. I thought some of the best parts of the book was when Enzo would casually ramble on about something that we would expect to hear from a dog, and then go right back to his intelligent, observant self. It would have definitely taken away from all the fun had it been from a human.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I loved that Enzo was the narrator, it gave the book a very unique feel that it needed. We've read many books from a person's perspective, but not books where you see the course of events through the eyes of a dog that loves that human more than anything. I totally buy the whole philosophical thinking he has as a dog, they know more than they let on :-)
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

The story being narrated by a dog gives it an edge and that is something which drew me towards the book. It is a unique concept for me.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Return to “"The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein”