How does Enzo's philosophy apply to real life?

Discuss the December 2014 book of the month, The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

How does Enzo's philosophy apply to real life?

Post by Scott »

Following is a discussion question from the author for the December 2014 book of the month, "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein.

Enzo's observations throughout the novel provide insight into his world view. For example:
  • —"The visible becomes inevitable."
    —"Understanding the truth is simple. Allowing oneself to experience it, is often terrifically difficult."
    —"No race has ever been won in the first corner; many races have been lost there."

How does his philosophy apply to real life?

I think it is is amazing how apt these observations are. I also think it was makes the title of the book so awesome. Whether you are talking the law of attraction or what many people call karma or just having level-headedness and wisdom, it seems so clear that in everyday life "the car goes where your eyes go". Focus on and engage with the negative, and you meet more negativity. When people treat you bad or do things that upset you, if you stoop to their level you just make things worse for yourself. You can't control the weather, but you control how you react--wow what a perfect metaphor for life Stein has made using racing in the rain! What do you think?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Post by Anacoana »

I've definitely noticed that how we think affects what will happen, because it's a minor form of self-fulfilling prophecy. Karma is always something I've believed in, simply because it seems plausible and I've experienced things that I choose to view as examples of it. I don't know if the truth is easy to see, but that may be because humans have so many coping skills and self soothing techniques that our minds automatically do to help us cope with reality. So it may be that the truth is very easy to see, but we're hiding from it.
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

I agree that Enzo had many wonderful observations on the human experience. Of course that is because it was a human that wrote them. I think the second of Scott's example quotes resonates the most with me. We so often know things intellectually, but hesitate to really experience them. I am currently adjusting to a massive lifestyle change and I find that I spend a lot of time thinking about this truth.
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

The this one resonated with me the most. I've always been a runner and it reminds me that the hardest part of the race is not in the first corner, but at the end. If one doesn't venture forward into the unknown, they'll never win the race of life.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
melbuhtoast
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Currently Reading: The Goldfinch
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melbuhtoast.html
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn

Post by melbuhtoast »

I too was struck by how many of Enzo's observations applied to real life. With regard to ""No race has ever been won in the first corner; many races have been lost there," I was struck by how it was exactly what I needed to hear at the time that I read the book. So many times in our lives, we're looking for quick fixes - whether it be quick meals, quick weight loss, getting rich quick, etc., when in reality so many things in our lives should be treated as a long game.
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

I especially like the observation "No race has ever been won in the first corner; ..." The older I get, the more I appreciate the virtues of patience.

"Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish." (John Quincy Adams)

"Patience serves as a protection against wrongs as clothes do against cold." (Leonardo da Vinci)
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
breyfoglese
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-breyfoglese.html
Latest Review: "The Time Stone" by Jeffrey Estrella

Post by breyfoglese »

I'm reviving this because I read this book before I found this site and really enjoyed it - for me, I resonated with "Understanding the truth is simple". Sometimes (often) I know a lot about what I need to do, but actually doing it is hard. Especially in relationships, just knowing that you're in an unhealthy one isn't sufficient, or even close to it. That's something I learned the hard way and I'm watching a friend go through now. But that's dogs for you - they're so often more intuitive than humans.
Latest Review: "The Time Stone" by Jeffrey Estrella
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

Scott wrote:Following is a discussion question from the author for the December 2014 book of the month, "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein.

Enzo's observations throughout the novel provide insight into his world view. For example:
  • —"The visible becomes inevitable."
    —"Understanding the truth is simple. Allowing oneself to experience it, is often terrifically difficult."
    —"No race has ever been won in the first corner; many races have been lost there."

How does his philosophy apply to real life?
I find myself agreeing with the second and third.
Knowing the truth is simple, knowing is very different than accepting and feeling, but it's part of life.
And for the third quote, I learned all that I know about racing from this book, but when I apply this to life, it makes sense: you gotta keep going, you can't give it all at the beginning and save nothing for later. It gets tougher later and you have to have more to give.

I don't normally read books about animals, but I really liked this one and Enzo's thoughts on life.

Return to “"The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein”