A greater appreciation for being home?

Discuss the December 2014 book of the month, The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.
gatorgirl_823
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatorgirl-823.html
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam

Re: A greater appreciation for being home?

Post by gatorgirl_823 »

Being human is something that we all take for granted. Imagine being an animal with little control over what goes on around you.
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam
MissJane
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missjane.html

Post by MissJane »

Seeing the world through the dog's POV definitely makes me love my species! You see just how privileged we are just to be able to do the things we do and (like Scott mentioned) have thumbs and be able to communicate :D

We see just how helpless an animal can feel and I feel so privileged to have the power that I do to make a difference...
litmonster
Currently Reading: Library of Souls
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-litmonster.html

Post by litmonster »

I think perhaps I appreciated the ability to use an express my words in a way to others, human ability to communicate, it an aspect that I appreciate a bit more after reading Enzo's story. However, I think the nonverbal cues that Enzo uses to express certain thoughts to Denny or other characters has a lot to be said as well. Then of course, having usable thumbs is great. Still, I don't think, after reading this, that I was more appreciative of being human, if anything it called my attention back to exploring things from a point of view other than my own.
Alwhitbeck
Favorite Author: Jeaniene Frost
Currently Reading: Maids of Misfortune
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwhitbeck.html
Latest Review: "The No-Nonsense Guide To Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis" by Adam Webber
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 3311

Post by Alwhitbeck »

I've always been kind of aware of how great it is to be human. I can't imagine how life would be without all the creative thought processes or books. We would all miss books!
Latest Review: "The No-Nonsense Guide To Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis" by Adam Webber
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I guess I didn't dwell too much on that while I was reading the book, I must have been caught up in enjoying Enzo :-)
That is a good point though, it must be frustrating not being able to properly communicate what your thoughts and feelings are.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

After reading this book from a dog's point of view I feel privileged to be a human. Humans can do mostly everything they want without much hindrance.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Return to “"The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein”