Overall Rating and Opinion of The Art of Racing in the Rain

Discuss the December 2014 book of the month, The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.

How do you rate The Art of Racing in the Rain?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
2%
2 stars - fair, okay
5%
3 stars - good, recommend it
37%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
56%

Total votes: 62

PluviophileReader
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluviophilereader.html
Latest Review: "Demiurge" by Michael Hagan

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of The Art of Racing in the R

Post by PluviophileReader »

Wow, I have to say that this novel really caught me off guard emotionally. I had heard about the book before but it wasn't until an acquaintance lent me the book that I had a desire to read it. Stein manages to create a successful novel that is race car themed AND narrated by a dog. I mean what are the chances of that? Well, he absolutely nailed it.

The Art of Racing In the Rain is a story about human resilience, love and what people will do for the people and things that truly matter to them. I really struggled with a few scenes within this book, especially <spoiler> after Eve died and Denny gets tangled in a serious offence that he didn't commit. I also really couldn't stand Eve's parents! I had to physically put the book away when they started to try and take Zoe away from Denny after everything that he had been through.</spoiler>

I truly felt that Enzo was the perfect narrator for this story. Extremely likeable, kind and supportive. Just like a dog should be. I also really appreciated the dog behaviour as explained by Enzo, like when he <spoiler> tore up the Zebra </spoiler>. He also offered some amazing pieces of advice because, as Enzo puts it, he listens.
"Here's why I will be a good person. Because I listen. I cannot talk, so I listen very well. I never deflect the course of the conversation with a comment of my own."
Enzo summed up the essence of the novel with these next few quotes:
"There is no dishonor in losing the race. There is only dishonor in not racing because you are afraid to lose."
Enzo never gave up on Denny, and Denny never gave up on Eve and especially not on Zoe.
"The true hero is flawed. The true test of a champion is not whether he can triumph, but whether he can overcome obstacles - preferably of his own making - in order to triumph."
I was so thrilled with the ending, I don't know what I would have done if things had ended poorly! As an animal lover, I would also like to believe <spoiler> that when animals die they are reincarnated as people </spoiler>. The thought of that really makes me smile. Overall a highly recommended, feel-good novel!
The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Demiurge" by Michael Hagan
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

I haven't actually finished this book yet. Though, to be honest, I'm not entirely sure I will. It's a great book, I love how its written and the description absolutely blows me away. But I'm having a hard time with some of the subject matter. I'm just very frustrated and angry over the custody situation in the book and its taking away from my enjoyment of the story as a whole. I can only get through a few pages before I get angry again and have to put the book down. I do want to finish this book but it may take a long take, and I may just end up coming back to it at a different point in my life. Overall I gave it a two, although I wish it could have been a two and a half because it truly is very good despite the parts that make me mad.
Noeld
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noeld.html

Post by Noeld »

I haven't read this book, but after reading these reviews I will definitely add it to my "to read" list.
freelancer101
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freelancer101.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by freelancer101 »

It was definitely a good read. I agree with Scott in regard to the author's efforts to keep it from a dog's perspective. My favorite character was 'Zoe' as she was sweet, intelligent and pulled through really well when her Dad was struggling with the court hearings.. Also the story ended on a happy note so it is a win-win scenario for me. I will certainly recommend it!
melbuhtoast
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Currently Reading: The Goldfinch
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melbuhtoast.html
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn

Post by melbuhtoast »

I loved this book! It really pulled at my heartstrings. Having lost a family pet, it hit close to home - especially given that it was narrated from the point of view of the dog. I was given this book as a Secret Santa gift, and decided to read it on a plane ride for work. I had no idea that it would cause me to bawl on the plane! Thankfully, I didn't have anyone sitting next to me to weird out entirely! I absolutely give it 4 stars!
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

I thoroughly enjoyed The Art of Racing in the Rain. I have never read a book such as this one before. Reading a story from a dog's perspective was a nice change for me. The Art of Racing in the Rain was a great read. I did not want to put this one down! It made me laugh, cry, and at certain times angry. This book evoked so many different emotions within me. When a book has the power to make me react in so many ways I definitely consider it a must read and would surely recommend it to others. I must say, however, that I fell in love with Enzo from the very beginning and it only evolved as the story progressed. The book itself was not a very long one. However, it managed to accomplish everything superbly in those short pages. 4/4 stars!
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
colemaba
Favorite Author: I can never decide
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 21844">the hinger games</a>
Currently Reading: Enders Game
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colemaba.html
Latest Review: "Angel of Destiny" by T.L.Adams

Post by colemaba »

I thought it was a pretty good book, Ive never read a book before from the perspective of a dog. It was well done.
Latest Review: "Angel of Destiny" by T.L.Adams
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

I really enjoyed this book. Narrated from the perspective of a dog with specific car racing knowledge adds depth of character. More than once I found myself being sucked into the moment with Denny and Enzo experiencing things as they did. I would recommend this book to many I know.
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
ct-95
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125

Post by ct-95 »

I think this wonderful book is light reading but heavy in ideas. Thought provoking.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

I'm usually not a fan of this genre of books, but I really enjoyed this one. It was well written to make the reader laugh and cry at intervals along with Enzo and it seemed apt to narrate the book from the dog's POV.
aaa1234
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaa1234.html

Post by aaa1234 »

Stein is a fantastic author and should be read by anyone who enjoys reading to a large extent. The book is based around a dog named Enzo who watches tv quite a bit. Good read.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

A mark of a good book is when the story and characters stay with you long after you've finished the book. I read this book over a month ago, and I find myself still thinking about Enzo from time to time :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
aaa123
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaa123.html

Post by aaa123 »

Overall, I think this was very well structured.
Bookl0ver657
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookl0ver657.html

Post by Bookl0ver657 »

I loved "The Art of Racing in the Rain". I was a bit hesitant when I heard that the book is told from the perspective of a dog, but I decided to try it anyways. This novel is about the life of Enzo (the dog narrating the story) and the experiences he and Denny (Enzo's master/human) go through together.

So, would I recommend this book? Yes, I would. I never really thought racing cars to be extremely exciting, but Enzo's passion and detailed information regarding racing changed my perspective. However, racing cars is not the only subject that is discussed in this book. There is humor and drama; sadness and joy. Also, this book has wisdom and lessons that can be applied in life today. So, you may want to read it more than once. Or find yourself marking important passages to read later.
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

Forgot to rate this one before discussing it in other threads...

Quick, fun read. I wasn't very interested in the racing bits (I never felt that it was "about" racing though), and I'm not normally a fan of family dramas, but I did enjoy this book! I'm not sure if the dog narrative was what won me over (like I said elsewhere, I was worried about it being gimmicky, but I found it enjoyable), or if it was just the easy-going nature of the voice and the characters, but I'd give it a 3.

I always cringe when I start reading dog books because are there any dog books without animal death? Luckily the way this one was written was not nearly as sad as others I've read. Definitely not enough to deter me from giving it a 3!
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker

Return to “"The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein”