Overall Rating and Opinion of The Art of Racing in the Rain

Discuss the December 2014 book of the month, The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.

How do you rate The Art of Racing in the Rain?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
2%
2 stars - fair, okay
5%
3 stars - good, recommend it
37%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
56%

Total votes: 62

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Overall Rating and Opinion of The Art of Racing in the Rain

Post by Scott »

Please use this topic to express your overall opinion of the December 2014 book of the month, The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.

Do you like the book? Do you recommend it to others? Why or why not?

I really enjoyed reading this book. I think it is a great book and a great story. It is not that long of a book.

The most notable feature of the book--the fact that it is narrated by a dog--works really well. I think the author does an amazing job using that technique to tell a story that fits with the narration. I think the author does a great job of leaving much of the story and events up to interpretation of the reader, not out of incomplete storytelling but intentionally in a way that really creates a compelling story that leaves one thoughtful even long after reading the book.

What do you think?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I agree with you. I loved this book. As a dog lover, I enjoyed reading a book narrated by a dog. The concept may not be an original, but it was well done. I found the story very moving and impossible to put down. Have I said that I really liked Enzo (the dog)?? I laughed and cried while reading this book and rooted for Enzo. I highly recommend this book and not just for animal lovers.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
HoneyB
Currently Reading: The Law of Moses
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeyb.html
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone

Post by HoneyB »

I'm new to the forum but happened to have already read this book. Overall, I remember really enjoying it. Reading from the dogs POV was very different, but I can't really imagine the story would have been better if told from a more traditional POV. Enzo's incident with the destroyed toy was pretty funny, not to mention the um...I'll call it the "potty payback". The family struggles were emotional and I'm a sucker for anything that pulls me in emotionally. You don't need to be a racing fan or dog lover to enjoy this book. I'd recommend it to anyone.
A book is a device to ignite the imagination.
~Alan Bennett
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone
jsam757
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jsam757 »

If you have yet to read this wonderful novel, do yourself a favor and do so. It's original and captivating, and I simply adored Enzo (the narrator ... who also happens to be a dog). It tells the story of a particular family, with twists and turns that keep the pages turning. It's a perfect read for a rainy afternoon or while laying in bed, the kind of novel that you'll remember long after you've finished.
Artiste8
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Artiste8 »

This book has been on my TBR list and I am so glad I read it. It was amazing, it will stay with me for a long time.
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

I really enjoyed the book, but it didn't like change my life. haha. Great idea, and the author did an excellent job. I feel kind of bad, because it seems most people liked it more than I did. I am the one person who gave it three stars. haha. It was really cool and cute, but I'm kind of already off to the next. Maybe I'll give it another try in a couple of years and see if I feel differently about it.
I love LOVE. <3
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I finished this book 3 days ago and absolutely loved it. It took me a few pages to get used to the dog being the narrator, and then it seemed very natural. There was something magical about this book, almost as if Enzo's soul was jumping off the pages. I liked having the dog's perspective, as it left a little ambiguity regarding certain parts of the story. When I finished the last pages, all I could think of was how lucky I felt to have read this book. Thank you to Scott and everyone else that made this book a Monthly Selection. I rate this book 4 of 4 stars.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
librarydancer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-librarydancer.html

Post by librarydancer »

I've read about half of the book so far, and just wanted to thank everyone who voted for this as a book of the month ( I hadn't joined yet). I never would have found or read this book otherwise, and I find it to be a very enjoyable read. I am going to check my local library system, and certainly recommend this book to others.
abbey_girl11

Post by abbey_girl11 »

I am new to this forum. I love this book. It is my favorite book of all time! I bought it on a whim. I was looking for a book to read on a weekend getaway with my husband. He pointed it out to me, because it had a dog on the cover, and I am an animal lover. When I read what the book was about, I was hooked! I read the book in that one weekend. Ever since I read it once a year. I always get something new out of it. For years now, my signature on my e mail has been, "That which we manifest is before us." I love all the wonderful quotes from this book! I love that it is from a dog's POV. This book was what got me hooked on reading books from a dog's POV. I also love the philosophy of it, and the life lessons it can teach. It is just an awesome book all together. And my overall rating of it is excellent! I would highly recommend it to anyone!
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html

Post by Skillian »

Welcome Abbey!
I love LOVE. <3
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

Artiste8 wrote:This book has been on my TBR list and I am so glad I read it. It was amazing, it will stay with me for a long time.
I agree.
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Post by Anacoana »

I loved this book, it was absolutely incredible and something I would recommend to many people. Truly the only part I didn't like about it was that Denny was arrested for rape, because there is no way to the best of my knowledge that that would happen in real life. I was in a Criminal Justice class at that time and had just gone over what you need to arrest people for certain things so it was still fresh in my head, and to see inaccuracy in an otherwise lovely book was difficult for me.
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

I enjoyed this book. It was very far from something I would normally read, but I am glad that I branched out. The book is a great example of why I don't stop reading after when I don't like a book. It really took a while for me to get into it, but I eventually came around. I would recommend it!
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
Aspen_Reads
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Aspen_Reads »

I am planning on reading this book, it sounds like a really good read!

-- 17 Dec 2014, 11:19 --

I am planning on reading this book, it sounds like a really good read!
"I was born with a reading list I will never finish." -Maud Casey
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

Post by sahmoun2778 »

I really enjoyed this book even though there is a lot of sadness in the story. I thought the author's choice to tell the story from the perspective of the dog was great and really made the story feel fresh. One of my favorite parts was when Enzo got to ride in the race car. The descriptions were fantastic and made me feel like I was right there in the car with them. I give this book 4 stars.
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen

Return to “"The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein”