Overall Rating and Opinion of The Art of Racing in the Rain

Discuss the December 2014 book of the month, The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.

How do you rate The Art of Racing in the Rain?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
2%
2 stars - fair, okay
5%
3 stars - good, recommend it
37%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
56%

Total votes: 62

agreenwood
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agreenwood.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of The Art of Racing in the R

Post by agreenwood »

I read this book a while ago, but it was a fantastic book, one of the few that I gave 5 stars! I loved that it was written from the dogs perspective, especially since I am a dog lover. I laughed, I cried, this book totally lived up to the expectations of a great book!
ceg-reynolds
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceg-reynolds.html

Post by ceg-reynolds »

I'm always up for a good dog book! That being said, I liked this book but didn't love it. I would still recommend reading it. It's good but not great.
Staceylane

Post by Staceylane »

Absolutely one of my favorites! Brought me to tears

-- 11 Jun 2016, 21:18 --

I thought this was much better than a dogs journey
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

Staceylane wrote:Absolutely one of my favorites! Brought me to tears

-- 11 Jun 2016, 21:18 --

I thought this was much better than a dogs journey
Both made me cry and I think they each have their strong points. But getting to The Art of Racing in the Rain...
I'm trying to compose myself so I don't sound like a lunatic, were Maxwell and Trish for real?! They were so awful! They made me so upset I (almost) couldn't finish the book. What terrible people, how could they say such horrendous things after what he went through. Ugh!

Okay, rant over. Though their presence was part of the reason I enjoyed the book. It was very emotional, especially those last two chapters, and made me cry like a baby. The book also has a great message to keep going no matter what life throws at you, and that dogs are smart and amazing :wink:
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I'm such a dog lover already, and reading about them and then relating things that happen in the book to real life occurances that my animals do is so adorable! I was really bothered by how emotional this book made me, partially in part to the horrible things that just kept happening. But also because I know there are so many dog owners out there who take things out on their pets when they are just having rough days.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Ruptain
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Ruptain »

As a HUGE dog lover, when I saw the cover I was instantly draw to it. After reading an excerpt, I was hooked. I loved the book, and not just because it had a dog narrating it. It was a seriously moving and thought provoking book, and I reread it every year. It has been cast as one of my favorites, and is a go-to on my bookshelf at home. I would recommend this book to anyone that would listen.
pyb
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pyb.html
Latest Review: "God, Red Shoes and Chocolate Pudding" by Hayley Hart

Post by pyb »

This book had been recommended to me and so I picked it up in a used book store while on vacation. I did enjoy it, mostly because I am a dog owner myself and it helped me to see things from a dog's perspective (although a dog didn't really write it, so it is all speculative :)
Overall it was very heartfelt. My favorite part, sahmoun2778, was when Enzo got to ride in the race car as well!
I would recommend it, but it wasn't quite a 4 for me.
Latest Review: "God, Red Shoes and Chocolate Pudding" by Hayley Hart
yayramabel
Currently Reading: Shadow of the Storm
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yayramabel.html
Latest Review: "The Sound of Acquiescence" by Candace Michelle

Post by yayramabel »

I really enjoyed this book. Seeing the world unfold through Enzo's eyes was really refreshing; I love dogs, and enjoyed the fact that the dog was the narrator of this book. At first I wasn't sure I'd like that so much, but I really did. Glad I gave this book a chance, because I had fun with it. It was a quick, entertaining, moving read. I definitely recommend it!
Latest Review: "The Sound of Acquiescence" by Candace Michelle
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Wow. This book was amazing. Emotional, funny, heartbreaking, and eye opening are the words that come to mind when thinking of this book. It was incredibly emotional for me to read having recently lost our very first dog, however, I found reading this book helped me deal with some of the emotions I had for my dog. There were so many similarities and so many instances I was able to relate to, it really felt like I was having a conversation with an old friend. Highly recommend this book to anyone who has ever had a special bond with a furry friend.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I don't remember all the details of this book as I first read it over 5 years ago, but it has stuck with me. Besides the obvious injustices the (human) protagonist suffers, what I remember most about this book was looking down at my own dog every so often and saying to him, "What are you thinking?"

This book was well put together and definitely pulled on the heart strings several times.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I really enjoyed reading this book. Dog being a narrator was something different for me and I absolutely liked it :). I rate it a 3 out of 4 stars.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

If you love dogs and consider them Man's best friend, then you will enjoy this book!

I loved the characters and the friendship between Enzo and Denny... I loved how Enzo saw us, humans, and then told us about us in his own doggie way. Really beautiful book.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

A story about life and death from such an interesting perspective. I love dogs and this book brought me to tears. I avoid movies (and books) about dogs whenever possible because they are generally sad.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
cassiekeech2019
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: -2
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cassiekeech2019 »

This book was so good. Any book that is written about a dog is a must-read for me. Then bonus it is narrated by the family dog Enzo.
There were some sad moments in the book, but also some exciting times. This book gets 4 stars from me.
I heard they were making a movie. I hope it is as good as the book.
Pink32
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Pink32 »

This is an absolutely amazing read. Once I started ro read it, I was captivated by Enzo and the way the author tells the story through his eyes. I cried so much during this book! Everything that Danny goes through just trying to retain custody of his daughter, really hit home for me. As a single mom, I have fought that battle and my heart went out to both Danny and Enzo.
I wrote down many of the quotes from this novel, such as, "What you manifest is before you." Among others.
I think the part that really got to me was right after Dannys wife dies. When Enzo runs away from Danny and he attacks the squirrel. It really tells the reader how much pain Enzo was in because of her death. (I want to cry right now, just thinking about it).
Just an amazing book. I definitely look at my own dog now and think that maybe he's just a human stuck in a dogs body, you know? I wonder if he aspires to die and come back a human.

Return to “"The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein”