Reincarnation and karma?

Discuss the December 2014 book of the month, The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.
Taylor Razzani
2017 Reading Goal: 55
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 7
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The End in All Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: "My Life Before" by Terrell L. Frazier
fav_author_id: 2684

Re: Reincarnation and karma?

Post by Taylor Razzani » 11 Jul 2016, 22:08

While I don't necessarily believe in either, I liked how the book ended with Enzo's "reincarnation". It's great to think that your soul will find its way back to your loved ones in the end. Especially after the chapter before that made me incredibly sad.

Toria Mason
2017 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 75
Currently Reading: Thirteen Reasons Why
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toria-mason.html
Latest Review: "The Last Valentine" by Felix Alexander

Post by Toria Mason » 16 Mar 2017, 09:35

I do think I believe in karma. I believe what energies you put out are what energies you will receive. There's at least two sorts of karma, where you will have karma completed in one lifetime, or that karma will be carried out in your next life...which is where reincarnation plays a role in karma. I believe that any karma will be completed in your current life, and I don't really believe in reincarnation...or to be more exact: I don't want to. I don't want to be anyone but who I am right now. I've been told before that I have an old soul, as if I've lived and grown through many lives, which is a sort of interesting thought. But when it boils down to it, I just want to be me. I just want this life. Sure there are times I wish I could start over....but with THIS life. I definitely don't want to have do-over's with a whole other life altogether. I can't say if it exists. I can't say what happens in the afterlife as I'm still living. But I'd like to think my soul goes on, in its current form only.

Christina O Phillips
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: I'll Be Gone in the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 1310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: The Secrets to How Not To Throw Mama From The Train by Dr Janice Hooker Fortman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips » 31 Mar 2017, 14:02

I believe in both reincarnation and karma. I found the way they were dealt with in this book to be interesting. It's comforting to think that good things happen to good people and that someone could find their way back to their loved ones.

Naval Aulakh
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 85
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh » 09 Jul 2017, 06:32

I do believe in Karma. What goes around comes around. But I don't believe in its link with something supernatural. Both of these things are quite different for me.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!

Karen0823
2017 Reading Goal: 25
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 64
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karen0823.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Karen0823 » 18 Sep 2017, 17:47

On the subject of reincarnation, my favorite part of the book reads: 'In Mongolia, when a dog dies, he is buried high in the hills so people cannot walk on his grave. The dog’s master whispers into the dog’s ear his wishes that the dog will return as a man in his next life. Then his tail is cut off and put beneath his head, and a piece of meat or fat is placed in his mouth to sustain his soul on its journey; before he is reincarnated, the dog’s soul is freed to travel the land, to run across the high desert plains for as long as it would like.' I love this verse and think of it often, as my dog is approaching 13 years old and I hope this for her, as she is the most human animal I know.

eelavahs-jay
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay » 29 Sep 2017, 14:45

I don't believe in reincarnation but there are times when I feel I've done something or met someone in a time I can't really place. Karma isn't necessarily an actual force. I think people invented it to cope.

atonykamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atonykamau.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by atonykamau » 27 Mar 2018, 09:02

I am not a believer or reincarnation but I do believe in karma, that is that what you do unto others will be done unto you.

Return to “"The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein”