Official Review: Galagamous the Galactic Garbage Collector

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
anneloretrujillo
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 45
2018 Reading Goal: 35
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 85
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 32
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anneloretrujillo.html
Latest Review: Secret Garden by Veronica Red

Official Review: Galagamous the Galactic Garbage Collector

Post by anneloretrujillo » 28 Feb 2019, 14:49

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Galagamous the Galactic Garbage Collector" by JJ Irwin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Galagamous the Galactic Garbage Collector by Julia J. Irwin is a children’s picture book that takes place in outer space. Galagamous is a hermit that lives on the ruby red moon of the planet Megopolary with his friend Fizbot – a furry, green Yarper. The people of Megopolary don’t like Galagamous and Fizbot, and they make fun of them. They make fun of Galagamous for his size, and they think that Fizbot must be mean. Being teased makes Galagamous sad, and he wishes on a star every night for things to change. Do you think his wish will come true?

This is one of the best children’s books I have read in a while! I thought it was unique, excellently written, and vibrantly illustrated. I think that sometimes people believe that children’s books don’t need as much time, effort, and organization put into them as other books. I personally believe just the opposite. In my opinion, these books should have a good message, a clear plot, interesting pictures, and professional editing at the bare minimum. I am happy to say that this book meets all of my basic requirements for a children’s book and even exceeds them. Because I really couldn’t find anything wrong with the book, I give it 4 out of 4 stars.

This book plays on the universal anti-bullying message in a unique way. We hear about bullying all the time, but this book does a great job pointing out this problem without reiterating the message in a boring way. It also does a great job including all of the basic elements of a strong plot. There is a clear introduction, problem, and solution. A lot of children’s books don’t include all of these elements, so I was impressed that this one has them laid out so clearly.

The illustrations in this book are also excellent. The way the pictures are spaced throughout the book does a great job moving the story along and keeping a good pace for young readers. Children would definitely enjoy looking at these pictures; I know I did. For young children that can’t read, pictures are especially important. These illustrations help tell the story for those readers.

It’s important to point out that the editing of this book is flawless. I didn’t notice a single error within the book. I appreciate when any book seems to be edited well, but it’s even more important in children’s books due to the audience’s impressionability. I have to commend the author on making sure that this book was properly edited.

I mentioned before that this book exceeds my expectations for a children’s book. Specifically, the inclusion of several literary techniques is what impressed me when I was reading it. For example, all of the characters of the book speak in rhyme. This is consistent throughout the book, and it makes it fun to read. The book also had alliteration and onomatopoeia. The inclusion of all of these makes the book an excellent teaching tool. Reading it would be a fun way to start pointing out these different devices to children. I definitely would recommend this book to all school-age children and their parents and teachers.

Galagamous the Galactic Garbage Collector
View: on Bookshelves

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 260
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: TimeWorm by Brenda Heller

Post by kandscreeley » 04 Mar 2019, 11:18

We can use all the anti-bullying messages we can get! It sounds like a really cute story, but I wonder if children would stumble over the name. Galagamous? Still, cute. Thanks!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Return to “Children's Books”