Official Review: Popo on a Family Picnic

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2017 Reading Goal: 25
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 400
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Sleepwalker
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Golden Window by Steven C. Brandt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Popo on a Family Picnic

Post by MarisaRose » 20 Feb 2019, 06:58

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Popo on a Family Picnic" by Bella Sou and Ava Sel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Popo on a Family Picnic is a children’s picture book written by Bella Sou and Ava Sel, with illustrations by Razie Darzi. This book is the second in a series; however, it can easily be read as a standalone story. At fourteen pages, this book is geared toward a young audience. The story is about Rudy, a six-year-old girl, and her Pomeranian, Popo. Rudy’s family decides to go to the park for a picnic one Saturday. While playing with Popo in the park, Rudy learns an important lesson about the environment and how harmful littering can be.

The full-page illustrations in this book are really enjoyable. The colors are rich and vibrant, and the images are full of details to help transport the reader to the warm summer day at the park. Further, the illustrations are inventive. The pictures appear to be hand-drawn, with photos of Popo seamlessly added to the drawings. The bright colors and intricate details of the illustrations work well to draw the reader’s eye.

The main theme of this book is fairly obvious: The story highlights the negative impacts of littering. However, there are some underlying themes within this short book as well. Spending time with family and enjoying nature are additional themes displayed in the narrative. Further, children and parents can read this book together and discuss the loving relationship Rudy shares with her parents and Popo, the family pet.

However, some aspects of the writing could be improved. There were some phrases that might not be clear to the intended audience, like referring to a “long Saturday.” Additionally, more varied word choice could have improved the language of the story. For instance, “wonderful” is used to describe both the view in the park and the weather at different points in the very-short book. Lastly, there were some missing quotation marks in the narrative.

Popo on a Family Picnic is a cute story that highlights important themes and contains really great illustrations. However, the lacking vocabulary and minor editing issues lead me to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This children’s book would be best suited for adults to read aloud to children ages 3 to 6. The story features a young girl, but boys will have no trouble connecting with Popo’s adventure, and the themes explored in the story are appropriate for all children. However, the storytelling and writing are very basic, so older children might lose interest in this story early on.

Popo on a Family Picnic
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson

mihaela_bartha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mihaela-bartha.html
Latest Review: I Know My Way Memoir by Theresa Marafito with Linda Odubayo Thompson

Post by mihaela_bartha » 22 Feb 2019, 03:01

I like the idea of teaching children about the negative impacts of littering from an early age. I think I will add this to my list of reading recommendations for young learners of English. Since it is short and does not contain any grammatical errors, it should be suited for them as well. Thank you for the review!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Worm Fall by Steve Thomasson

Post by kandscreeley » 22 Feb 2019, 09:19

I must be just the tiniest bit dyslexic because I first read that as Poop instead of Popo... :D In any case, if the illustrations are anything like the cover, I think they'd be great to look at. Thanks for a lovely story. It's not really my age range or genre, but it's cute nonetheless.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: Bloom Where Planted by Winifred Grace and Ava McCarthy

Post by teacherjh » 22 Feb 2019, 11:55

A cute story with good lessons - sounds like a winner.

Ahmadyuli96
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ahmadyuli96 » 22 Feb 2019, 18:55

I like your book..negative impacts of littering from an early age. I think I will add this to my list of reading recommendations for young learners of English. Since it is short and does not contain any grammatical errors, it should be suited for them as well. Thank you for the review!

67Rose
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by 67Rose » 22 Feb 2019, 20:24

I would recommend "Popo on a Family Picnic" to children and adults. A combination of a lesson with and animal we all can love is a wonderful notion from Bella Sou and Ava Sel.

Shielasshi_93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shielasshi-93.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Shielasshi_93 » 22 Feb 2019, 22:30

I think this book will be good for children to teach them about helping the environment and appreciating nature.

Jessacardinal
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Jessacardinal » 23 Feb 2019, 13:38

I appreciate children's books that a well-illustrated. Although the editing issues are minor, I prefer to introduce my child to well-written material that offers top-notch learning opportunities. Fortunately, this book touches on important themes and relationships. I look forward to checking it out!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

labibliofile
2019 Reading Goal: 52
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by labibliofile » 24 Feb 2019, 02:59

I like how the book is trying to teach important lessons to young kids and at the same time, it is not academic. It is extremely relatable to them as well and something that they would teach them not to litter when they are on a picnic!
"Growth is the essence of life."

gen_g
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Comrade Netai and the chronology Of His UG Days by sanjay Lahiri

Post by gen_g » 26 Feb 2019, 10:29

I think that an absolute lack of grammar errors is very important in children's books, since the target audience is at the age where language formation happens. Still, it seems like a great read with vivid illustrations; one that will definitely capture the child's attention. Thanks for the review!

Tesscutey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Tesscutey » 01 Mar 2019, 11:37

Children love pictures so the cover page looks attractive,the moral lesson is also to be noted which is the negative effect of littering.

Return to “Children's Books”