Review by angiejack456 -- Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Review by angiejack456 -- Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by angiejack456 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Four Funny Potatoes!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There’s something exciting going on in the kitchen at night. Len Foley’s Four Funny Potatoes! takes a peek at what really happens while the rest of the house is asleep. Produce, pastries and other food items are busy rehearsing and putting on a fantastic show. There’s singing, dancing, and some astounding acrobatics, but the highlight of the show features four hilarious spuds.

These potatoes have a great act, but unfortunately, one of their members has a slight problem: he’s not a potato! Benny, who is actually a banana, refuses to sing along with the other potatoes and brings the show to a grinding halt. The director, a loud and bossy green bean, is not at all pleased. However, Benny remains true to himself, sings his own song, and teaches children that being different is just fine.

Young children and readers of all ages will find this picture book entertaining and meaningful. Its message of acceptance is layered skillfully with humor. This combination creates a work that is not only a comic delight but also a source of significant truth. There is powerful sincerity as Benny proudly declares, “I am a banana!!! And I am one of a kind. I have my own shape, my own color, my own thoughts, my own mind.” Foley shows that each of us is unique and wonderful in our own way. We don’t need to follow the crowd but can stand tall and embrace who we are.

Foley’s drawings are amusing and creative. I love how he has used photos of fruits, veggies, and other foods and made them come alive with a vast collection of comical facial expressions. The effect is charming. My favorites are the cherry tomatoes and the various looks of terror they exhibit while being juggled. The bright and colorful text is balanced well with the artwork, and overall, the book is visually pleasing.

I found this picture book completely delightful and awarded it 4 out of 4 stars. There were no editing problems with the book. It does have a surprise ending that some may find alarming, but I found that it added to the comedic element. I found nothing to dislike in this book and would readily recommend it anyone young or old. It is especially suited for kids, ages 3-8. Its rhyming text and fun pictures make it work well as a read-aloud. This gives parents and children the opportunity to laugh together and then talk about being true to ourselves and accepting of others.

Four Funny Potatoes!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like angiejack456's review? Post a comment saying so!

BelleReadsNietzsche
2019 Reading Goal: 36
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Oh my gosh, this sounds hilarious and delightful!!! You have a real knack for vivid and entertaining summary. Thanks for also including how parents can use it to spark conversation with their children about the book's main lesson.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 16:07
Oh my gosh, this sounds hilarious and delightful!!! You have a real knack for vivid and entertaining summary. Thanks for also including how parents can use it to spark conversation with their children about the book's main lesson.
Thanks for your comments! It was a fun book.

Jimi Adewole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimi-adewole.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Jimi Adewole »

It was lovely to see your take on this book. I read and reviewed it as well but I had a different negative take on it. Your take suggests points I might not have seen. Great work.
Experience is a harsh tutor for she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards. - Vernon Law

You might as well read about it in a book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”