Official Review: Warning. Never. Ever.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: Warning. Never. Ever.

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Warning. Never. Ever." by Howie Doinn and Candice B.Furreal.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It's been said that one shouldn't use the words "always" and "never" because there are nearly always exceptions to the rule. Well, feline authors Howie Doinn and Candice B. Furreal have obviously not heard that because not only does their book title include the word "never," but it's in all caps. WARNING! NEVER. EVER. is a book for children that notes things that one should "Never ever" do.

While I generally believe in some things that "they" say, I'm starting to think that there are exceptions to the "there are exceptions" clause. For instance, in this hilarious children's book, one given piece of advice is to "Never ever use the vacuum to clean your dog." Now, I don't know about you, but I could "never" see a reason to vacuum my dog! This book is chock-full of such wisdom, and I was laughing all the way through the read. After the list of things to avoid doing is a section on the "authors," who are in disguise in their professional pictures, if one considers sunglasses and a hat to be a disguise (hey, glasses alone work for Clark Kent!). In this rip-roaring segment, the felines advise that they weren't authorized to publish this book, which they found in their kid's room, but they had to because they needed the money. I don't want to give away any spoilers, so I'll refrain from saying anything further about this part of the tome.

I honestly cannot remember the last time I had such fun with a book, children's or otherwise. The advice given is outrageous but appropriate for very young children, who are curious and may really try to give the cat lollipops, draw on their pets with magic markers, or let goldfish swim in the toilet. Even as an adult, I enjoyed repeatedly reading the carrier phrase and found myself breathlessly awaiting the rest of the sentence on the following page. It was like I had gone back in time a few decades and was my younger self. I was so giddy while reading!

Each instruction in WARNING! NEVER. EVER. is accompanied by an appropriate illustration that is at least as funny as the advice given. I am well over the suggested age range for this book, yet I was still cackling with laughter until my sides hurt. After the author’s section, there's a page acknowledging the illustrator, Boris P. Grann, whom the authors found on Fiverr. I think it's very nice that he was found on Fiverr, as I'm personally familiar with freelancing on the platform. I always enjoy hearing the finished audio from my gigs, so I imagine it is wonderful for him to see his artwork being used in such an awesome book.

This book is meant for readers aged five and above, and the writing is appropriate for such a young group. Each admonishment begins with "Never ever," and the repetition is perfect for children. I also think it would be a good idea for parents to read along with their children, asking them why they shouldn't do something. For instance, a mother could ask, "Jasmine, why do you think you should never let cows in the house?" as a thinking exercise.

I found WARNING! NEVER. EVER. to be professionally edited, so I am pleased to give the book 4 out of 4 stars. I only wish I could give it more. I definitely recommend it to young readers as well as anyone who likes goofy fun, zany pictures, and silly ideas. And should you read it, remember to never ever wash your computer, tablet, or smartphone in the washing machine in order to clean out the file when you are done.

Warning. Never. Ever.
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

This sounds like a fun book to read and the authors seemed to be full of humor. I am intrigued just by reading your review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a hilariously cute children's book! I want to look this one up to read myself; forget the kids! Thanks for such a great review! I can't wait to see what I should never ever do.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I would love to read this book and share it as a gift. You obviously enjoyed it immensely and have motivated me want to discover the situations when this advice would be appropriate. Thanks for your entertaining review.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I really enjoyed reading your peppy review! As a mother of a two-year-old, I am slightly concerned this book may awaken my son's imagination and cause him to try some of these "never ever" suggestions. Nevertheless, I believe I would enjoy reading this book on my own.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Post by Supergirl1 »

Well, all I can say is I am someone’s kid, so I think this book is right for me!
Thanks for the very interesting review.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

This children's book sounds HILARIOUS. Thanks for the charming review.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

I love these kinds of books! They are so much fun!
Your review was great, especially the intro
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This book sounds heart-warming! I like how you mentioned that the authors were wearing disguises in some of the pictures.

Great review!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is an informative book that will be of great help to kids. The don'ts sound funny to an adult, but they actually mean much to children, especially due to their adventurous nature.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Children's Books”