Official Review: The Three Brotherteers by Iris Knightley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
KristyKhem
2019 Reading Goal: 150
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 8
2018 Reading Goal: 75
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 120
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Emergence of Modern Brain and the Build-Up of Imaginary Civilization by Dan M. Mrejeru

Official Review: The Three Brotherteers by Iris Knightley

Post by KristyKhem » 03 Feb 2019, 21:10

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Three Brotherteers" by Iris Knightley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Three Brotherteers by Iris Knightley is an illustrated storybook for children. Barris, Kensington, and Zachary are three brothers who love the story of The Three Musketeers. While they are waiting on their mother to prepare dinner one evening, they head outside to play. Their imagination comes alive as they pretend to battle vicious pirates who are trying to steal their treasure. They even come face-to-face with a giant sea creature from which they must defend their pirate ship against. Their brotherhood is strengthened as they adopt the famous line from The Three Musketeers – "All for one and one for all!”

I really appreciated the adventurous storyline of this book. The boys embarked on unpredictable adventures which portrayed children’s imagination at its best. Using their imagination, they animated ordinary objects and created a new world to play in. For instance, the porch became their pirate ship and animals became enemies. This reminded me of the humorous comic strip, Calvin and Hobbes.

I also liked the illustrations because they perfectly captured the boys’ adventures. The illustrator, Robin Boyer, used simple animated drawings, bright colors, and expressive facial features on the characters. I think this will stimulate children’s mind and hold their interest. The font style was also enjoyable to look at. Some of the dialogue was printed in a bigger font while the narrative text was printed in smaller letters. Several sentences were printed in undulating lines. Altogether, these positively contributed to the visual aesthetic of the book.

I think this story would be an excellent one for children who live with their brothers and sisters. In the story, the brothers played together harmoniously. In real life, siblings tend to squabble and fight a lot, but this book can encourage children to play nicely with one another. This is also a great book which can be read to a class of kids as it can give them a few ideas for multi-player outdoor games. I think this story may also motivate children to read or watch the movie, The Three Musketeers. The only ones who may not enjoy this story are children who may be too young to read, but they might appreciate looking at the illustrations.

I am rating this book 4 out of 4 stars for its adventurous storyline and creative illustrations. There was nothing which I disliked about the book. Furthermore, the book seemed professionally edited because I did not come across a single error. The layout was also fantastic.

The Three Brotherteers
View: on Bookshelves

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!

BelleReadsNietzsche
2019 Reading Goal: 36
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 278
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche » 05 Feb 2019, 12:42

Sounds adorable. Can’t steer kids towards the Three Musketeers too soon. ;) Thanks for clear and thoughtful review.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

Jenan_jafar2003
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jenan_jafar2003 » 05 Feb 2019, 12:50

Thats so good 💕 thank you for sharing us your opinion.. great review 💜

Elsereen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elsereen.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Elsereen » 05 Feb 2019, 12:54

This book is adventurous, that's the interesting thing that got me thinking, and wanting to read more about the book. It's really sounding fascinating. The curiosity of the boys was one thing. It's a nice review.

KristyKhem
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Emergence of Modern Brain and the Build-Up of Imaginary Civilization by Dan M. Mrejeru

Post by KristyKhem » 05 Feb 2019, 13:18

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 12:42
Sounds adorable. Can’t steer kids towards the Three Musketeers too soon. ;) Thanks for clear and thoughtful review.
Thank you for commenting :)

chewy4uto
2019 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading: Call of the Couch
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chewy4uto.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by chewy4uto » 05 Feb 2019, 17:12

I enjoyed your review. I love books that encourage children to use their imaginations and play. So often today with everything being online I think children lose out on the necessity of playing and making up stories which help their brains to mature. The colorful illustrations are an added plus to my wanting to get this book and read it to my nephews.

Jessacardinal
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: Winning The War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Jessacardinal » 05 Feb 2019, 22:41

I appreciate a book that encourages children to use their imaginations. Thank you for the beautiful review!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

Anthony__
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Anthony__ » 06 Feb 2019, 03:24

This book looks like action comic book for kids. Also, teaches love and brotherhood I guess I will read this book. Great review

Olaoluwa_oso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olaoluwa-oso.html
Latest Review: The Misadventures Of Jimmy Crookshank by D.R. Blair

Post by Olaoluwa_oso » 06 Feb 2019, 07:13

The colorful illustrations on the book cover is enough to attract kids to read the book. The boys sound like fun, full of life and they love adventure like all kids do. Really good review.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Raven Dock by Sara Caldwell

Post by kandscreeley » 06 Feb 2019, 08:19

This sounds like a really cute tale. I love that the brothers are using their imagination so well and getting along famously. There are lesson to be learned from them for sure. Thanks!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by kdstrack » 06 Feb 2019, 09:51

This is reading at its best - allowing us to let our imaginations fly! I also like your comment about this simpler book motivating younger readers to get into the classics. Thanks for such a refreshing review.

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: Journey Through Hell Almost to Heaven by Mel King

Post by teacherjh » 06 Feb 2019, 12:10

This sounds like a really cute kid's book. Thanks.

Rose Harebate
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Rose Harebate » 06 Feb 2019, 13:55

It seems to be a great children's book containing unpredictable adventures and ideas for multi-player outdoor games. Great review!

nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss » 06 Feb 2019, 19:57

I like watching Three Musketeers when I was young so I am delightful that these three brothers cosplayed as the Musketeers. I also like how creative the brothers are. Thanks for a wonderful review!

KristyKhem
Currently Reading:

Post by KristyKhem » 08 Feb 2019, 08:12

nonamer_miss wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 19:57
I like watching Three Musketeers when I was young so I am delightful that these three brothers cosplayed as the Musketeers. I also like how creative the brothers are. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Yes, I enjoyed that movie as well :) You're welcome and thank you for sharing on a comment under my review!

Return to “Children's Books”