Official Review: The Invisible Realm by Evelyn Dunbar Webb

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Official Review: The Invisible Realm by Evelyn Dunbar Webb

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Invisible Realm" by Evelyn Dunbar Webb.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Written by Evelyn Dunbar Webb, The Invisible Realm is the first book in the A-Maze-Ing Adventures Series, which targets children between the ages of seven and eleven. Hattie and Dacey, who have just become stepsisters, are spending the summer in the family’s cottage. While a storm rages outside, Hattie looks for something to do and convinces Dacey to explore the cottage together. During their treasure hunt, they find a map that leads them to another world, where they make fantastic friends and embark on an adventure. Their journey, however, is full of perils and riddles. Can they save the invisible realm? Can they find their way back to the cottage?

I loved reading this book, and I am sure kids will have a blast reading it. Evelyn Dunbar Webb wrote a wonderful, magical, and adventurous story that has elements reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, and The Chronicles of Narnia. This chapter book is a home run that I can easily see adapted into the screen.

My favorite aspect about the book was the characters. Hattie and Dacey are stepsisters whose relationship needs strengthening at the beginning of the story. Their adventure changes and bonds them. The secondary characters, such as Baron de Mouser, Fairy Great-Aunt Violet, and Fizzle, paint the story with whimsical joy.

The book also has valuable lessons about friendship and conflict resolution with family members. The girls have to work together to solve the mysteries and riddles. Listening skills and patience are essential to establish good relationships with others. Imagination and wit are necessary tools when overcoming obstacles.

Without hesitation, I rate The Invisible Realm by Evelyn Dunbar Webb 4 out of 4 stars because it is an amazing and entertaining story for children. A professional did an excellent job editing the book, as I did not find grammatical errors. The illustrations are lovely. I would recommend this chapter book to all children between the ages of seven and eleven. Young adults and adults, who take care of their inner child, will enjoy it too. Teachers and librarians would do themselves a favor by including this book in their bookshelves. I cannot wait for the next installment to come out. It features Cupid!

The Invisible Realm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Yolimari's review? Post a comment saying so!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

Children's book with morals is valuable to read. I like the fact that this one has lessons about friendship and conflict resolution with family members. Fascinating review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love that this is so well-written. From your description, it's definitely reminiscent of the Chronicles of Narnia. I always enjoy a good, easy book, so I just might have to pick this one up and see what this new world that they find is. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

This sounds like a delightful tale. I can't wait to explore The Invisible Realm. Thank you for your enjoyable review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The series that you compare this book speak volumes about the book. The adventure sounds exciting and I like the name "Fizzle!" I would like to read this series and be able to recommend it to others. Thanks for your touching review.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I love the valuable lessons offered in the book. I feel like my pre-teen self of twenty some years ago would have stayed up all night long and read the entire book in one sitting!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

I want to read this too! I think the story is beautiful and I'm interested about how Hattie and Dacey's relationship will improve while unlocking the mystery of the cabin. Thanks for a wonderful review!
chewy4uto
Currently Reading: Betrayal of Justice
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chewy4uto.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by chewy4uto »

I enjoyed reading your review. This book looks like one I would enjoy reading to my kids. It's so nice to see stories being written with concepts that are real to life. Having sisters and sharing experiences that bring you closer together is a reality for many. Children need more stories like this one!
Godgozielvis20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Godgozielvis20 »

Am imagining me being one of the step sisters going onto that realm... Great book.. I love it..
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

I think this is a good fantasy adventure book for children. I love the relationship between the stepsisters.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

My favorite aspect about the book was the characters. Hattie and Dacey are stepsisters whose relationship needs strengthening at the beginning of the story. Their adventure changes and bonds them. The secondary characters, such as Baron de Mouser, Fairy Great-Aunt Violet, and Fizzle, paint the story with whimsical joy.

The book also has valuable lessons about friendship and conflict resolution with family members. The girls have to work together to solve the mysteries and riddles. Listening skills and patience are essential to establish good relationships with others. Imagination and wit are necessary tools when overcoming obstacles.

I think this is a very important skill to learn. We all face conflict with others through life and learning to solve it in a healthy way is of the utmost importance. I like books like this one that teaches kids valuable lessons without being preachy and while keeping the plot fun and interesting.
A great book for young readers. Thank you for your enthusiastic review.
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Listening skills and patience are essential to establish good relationships with others. Imagination and wit are necessary tools when overcoming obstacles.
In a fast-paced world like ours where we need to keep up or be left out more often than not, those first two elements would really be quite difficult to have. I agree that they are a virtue. Creativity and quick thinking are also great, and yet the irony is that they may be proverbially not so common like common sense should. They're all great to have, nonetheless. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

Sounds like interesting. I always like this genre. So I must read it.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

Concise, fair and involving - that's how I'd describe your review. In my opinion, it has everything a review for this kind of books needs. Well done!
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

I love how the setting of books like this play out in the perspective of kids. It improves their imaginations and encoirages them to dream and create whole worlds. Thank you for this nice review and congrats to the author.

Return to “Children's Books”