Official Review: D-Pug in New York by Janie Nugent

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Official Review: D-Pug in New York by Janie Nugent

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "D-Pug in New York" by Janie Nugent.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

D-Pug in New York by Janie Nugent is a children’s picture book about a pug named Doug and his human, Michael. Michael and Doug (aka D-Pug) just moved from Florida to New York. They make new friends in their new school and apartment building. Their best friends in their building are Scott and his dog, Luke, and Lorrie and her dog, Patty. They all love to go on adventures together. You’ll have to read this book to see what New York has in store for this group of friends.

The author started writing about D-Pug to raise money for animal shelters. I thought that this was a great cause, and the book did a great job of bringing awareness to shelters. All of the dogs in the book were adopted from shelters, and the characters volunteer at their local shelter and help raise money for it. This is a good conversation starter for kids and their families, especially if they are thinking about adopting a dog.

This book is intended for children age eight and younger. I thought this book was a good match for this group. The pictures were cute, colorful, and creative. I enjoyed looking at them, and I’m sure children would too. I loved that the pictures helped tell the story because this age relies on them when they are reading. The vocabulary was also ideal for the age group. There were a few challenging words, but there was nothing that was difficult enough to discourage children from reading. I would also like to point out that the book was well-edited, which is super important in children’s books. I only noticed one minor error within the book, and I was impressed by this.

The only major concern I had with the book is that the plot is a little jumbled. There was not a clear problem and solution. Because there really was no climax to the book, it got to be a little stagnant. I found myself waiting for something big to happen and then being disappointed that the plot didn’t build. There were parts that were also a bit repetitive. For example, it was pointed out that the characters were in 4-H within the first couple of pages. This was stated again later on, but it was worded as if this was the first time it had been mentioned.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I loved the cause that this book was written for, and the book did a great job bringing attention to that cause. The pictures were great, and the book was well-edited. The writing fit the age group the book is intended for. The only downfall was the lack of build and climax in the plot. I took away a whole star for this because the problem and solution are essential in a children’s book. Even without it, I would still recommend this book to pre-school and elementary age children and their families.

D-Pug in New York
View: on Bookshelves

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Awww! I appreciate the author is trying to bring attention to and raise money for animal shelters. What a worthy cause. I love the cover as well. Very cute. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

This looks a book I would recommend to my young niece seeing it encourages friendships, adventures and especially charity. I would be unfair if I didn't commend you on your good review.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

It's very generous and kind of her to raise money for animal shelters. Good review. I'll look out for it for my niece.
Elsereen
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elsereen.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Elsereen »

Wow! It's sounds nice though it's not my type of book, but it will be sweet to read for pleasure. It's a great review.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

What a wonderful way to raise money for a great cause!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This age group likes animal stories and it is good that there are plenty of pictures to accompany the story. Thanks for your interesting review.
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

I support the author's advocacy regarding animal shelters. I think people should learn about the process and the positive sides of adopting a dog from shelters and I think that this book will be a good starter.
chewy4uto
Currently Reading: Betrayal of Justice
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chewy4uto.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by chewy4uto »

I love that someone has written a book to help bring awareness to animal shelters. It will enlighten children at a very young age about shelters. It is essential for people to write books for children that have a good plot to keep children interested. It sounds from your review that this one doesn't quite hold up to that. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this book. All in all looks like an excellent book to read.

Return to “Children's Books”