Official Review: An Animal Tale of Safety and Survival......

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: An Animal Tale of Safety and Survival......

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An Animal Tale of Safety and Survival...The Book" by Thomas E Healey.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Whether a flock of geese flying overhead or a squirrel scurrying up a tree, many of us see animals in the wild almost every day. Often, we don’t give them a second thought, but what kinds of thoughts might the animals be having about us? An Animal Tale of Safety and Survival, The Book by Thomas E Healey gives the reader a firsthand glimpse into the animal side of things. While this story is fiction and largely written for a young audience, the struggles inside are very real.

The book opens with an animal mother weeping for a child killed by humans. If this were the first time, it might be one thing, but for the animals in this story, the loss of life and limb is too common. Wren, a wise old owl, is the unofficial leader among the animals and wants to introduce ways for his friends to keep themselves safe. He continuously pushes doing so off, though, always afraid it’s not the right time because of all the heartbreak and tragedy. With this lack of initiative from Wren, many animals have become dissatisfied with how things are. They want to take back their right to live, which is where Clay, a buck, enters as a beacon for animals wanting to put humans in their place. What follows is a power struggle between Wren and Clay, which is set off by animals trying to stay safe from humans while realizing some dangers don’t come from man.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I’ve had passing thoughts about how the human lifestyle might affect the animal kingdom, but this book brought those passing thoughts into prominence. Danger is a part of life. Each time we step outside or even walk down a flight of stairs, there is risk. For the animals in Healey’s story, the risks are enormous, and I found myself drawn to the strife and emotion in these pages.

Healey does an excellent job of keeping the story from the perspective of animals. There are some scenes featuring only humans, but even in these places, it’s clear this is an animal story. Cars are referred to as “rumble wagons,” which was a great touch. At one point, one animal remarks to another that “It takes a forest to raise a baby.” I loved this twist on the famous “It takes a village to raise a child” line. Little details like this reminded me I was among animals throughout the book.

While the struggles in this story are not ones most human children might face, this book is still packed with real-life lessons. At the beginning, the animals exclusively blame the humans for the tragedies that befall their community. Through a series of incidents, though, they come to realize that it’s not only the humans who are responsible. While humans have been muscling in on their territory, the animals have not made any real attempts to alter their lifestyles. They come to realize that their lack of change means they are getting in each other’s ways, which is only adding to the casualties. This was my favorite aspect of the book. Not only did this highlight the importance of teamwork, but it emphasized the necessity of taking responsibility for one’s actions, a lesson it’s never too early to learn.

Unfortunately, there was a smattering of errors throughout the book. Due to this, I am forced to rate An Animal Tale of Safety and Survival, the Book 3 out of 4 stars. Otherwise, this heartwarming and heartbreaking story about our furry friends would have garnered a 4-star rating from me. While this book could tug at anyone’s heartstrings, late elementary school-aged kids might be the most appropriate audience. Slightly younger readers may also enjoy this, but I would caution parents against giving this to very young or very sensitive children. The death and loss themes may prove too much in some cases. Otherwise, this is the kind of enlightening book everyone should give a try. Personally, I found it to be eye-opening. I think the world needs more books like this, and I recommend this to anyone who loves animal stories or who wants a closer look at a population that doesn’t get the spotlight too often.

An Animal Tale of Safety and Survival...The Book
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

I like the fact that this book talks about teamwork, and teaches children to take responsibility for their actions. A children's book with morals is really a must read. Nice review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the errors because this sounds like a fabulous book. It has great lessons while still being entertaining to kids. That's so important. Hopefully the author can do a final round of editing to make this really great. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

This book sounds like it offers it all. It is intriguing to ponder what animals must think of us!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I like the themes this book includes. Using animals to present these morals is an attractive format for children. I appreciate that your comments about the deaths in the story. Thanks for a great review.
cap5
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by cap5 »

its the nice book by judging in its content and preview hope each person who undertakes this book will like this book
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

Aww... too bad there are grammatical errors, I believe authors of children books should be mindful of their grammar and language.

Return to “Children's Books”