Official Review: Lil Mo Goes to Preschool by Lisa Malloon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Official Review: Lil Mo Goes to Preschool by Lisa Malloon

Post by Bianka Walter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lil Mo Goes to Preschool" by Lisa Malloon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lil Mo Goes to Preschool is a children’s book describing Mo’s first day at school. Written with one simple sentence per page, the book is aimed at smaller children that are starting to learn how to read. The book takes us through Mo’s day from when he wakes up, right until he goes to sleep again. Going to preschool must be quite a daunting event for children, and this book helps them see how fun it can actually be.

Aside from meeting his teacher and the other children in his school, Mo is portrayed doing everyday tasks. Having breakfast, getting dressed, and taking a bath are all things that children do on a daily basis, and as such, they are relatable. Because I believe that this a book that can teach children to read, the corresponding pictures of these events will make the task of reading a little easier.

The illustrations are great. They are simple and striking and will keep the attention of any child. Each page has a different colour scheme, and the images are drawn with solid lines making the overall effect of the scenes quite vivid. In this case, illustrator and author have teamed up well to create wonderful scenery supported by the simple narrative. This would make a great series, and Mo could be the lead in a string of adventures.

One thing that I find a bit odd is the clock on Mo’s wall. When he wakes up, it is 10:05. This is weird because he is waking up to go to school, and I think that’s a bit late. If children are learning to read, they will also be learning to tell the time. I think this should be corrected to an earlier time.

I think this is a fantastic book for children. I would recommend it for ages 3 to 6, or for any parent wanting to read their child a quick and catchy bedtime story. Even with the small glitch with the clock, this is a charming book that deserves no less than 4 out of 4 stars. There was not one error in the script, so this book has been very well edited. The author, Lisa Malloon, clearly knows how to appeal to a young audience.

Lil Mo Goes to Preschool
View: on Bookshelves

Like Bianka Walter's review? Post a comment saying so!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, even if Mo is going to an afternoon day care, it would be odd for Mo to take up at 10:05. That sounds like an oversight on the author's part. Nevertheless, it seems like a fun concept for a children's book. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

kandscreeley wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 09:17 Well, even if Mo is going to an afternoon day care, it would be odd for Mo to take up at 10:05. That sounds like an oversight on the author's part. Nevertheless, it seems like a fun concept for a children's book. Thanks!
I would have loved to have woken up at that time for school!
Thanks for commenting :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

You are right, going to preschool can be quite taxing for children. I am sure this book will show the fun side, as well as help them learning to read. Thanks for the review, Bianka!
Willy 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willy-1.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Willy 1 »

Illustrations and pictures will definitely attract kids. And who wakes up by 10:05 am to go to school, definitely an error. Great review
Skye45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skye45.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by Skye45 »

Pictures are always a great way to attract kids. I wish this book existed when my niece and nephew were first starting school. I remember how much of a struggle it was to even get them to focus on one thing for pre-k. This book definitely sounds like a great way to ease the younger audience into school and to not be so scared. Great review! :)
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I'm curious whether Mo is nervous about school. Does the book address that issue directly? Even if not, it would be a good way to bring up the issue with small children. This sounds like a cute book.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Shrabastee wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 05:02 You are right, going to preschool can be quite taxing for children. I am sure this book will show the fun side, as well as help them learning to read. Thanks for the review, Bianka!
Thanks, Shrabastee! I appreciate you stopping by :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Willy 1 wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 07:44 Illustrations and pictures will definitely attract kids. And who wakes up by 10:05 am to go to school, definitely an error. Great review
I would love to wake up at that time to go to school!
Thanks for commenting :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Skye45 wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 21:46 Pictures are always a great way to attract kids. I wish this book existed when my niece and nephew were first starting school. I remember how much of a struggle it was to even get them to focus on one thing for pre-k. This book definitely sounds like a great way to ease the younger audience into school and to not be so scared. Great review! :)
Well, exactly. It should be an exciting thing - not a terrifying thing. Thanks so much for commenting :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

teacherjh wrote: 25 Jan 2019, 12:28 I'm curious whether Mo is nervous about school. Does the book address that issue directly? Even if not, it would be a good way to bring up the issue with small children. This sounds like a cute book.
It was cute, but with only one very simple sentence per page, it didn't really delve into deeper emotional issues. Mo seems like a pretty happy kid, so I'm not sure if he was nervous before :)
Thanks so much for commenting!
- Dr. Seuss
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

This sounds a very interesting book. I like different color scheme for each page with vivid illustrations. Great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The first day of preschool is usually pandemonium: kids wailing, parents stressed out, and teachers ready to tear their hair out. This might be a good book to read to the kids way before the first day. Then, hopefully, "D Day" will be terrific, instead of terrible.

Thanks for the enjoyable review, Bianka!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I definitely agree with your point about 10.05 being slightly late for school; also, it's amazing that you could noticed that! It'll definitely be a great book for children. Thanks for the review, I enjoyed reading it as always!
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

This seems like a fun and educational read for children. I wish I glad to wake up at 10:05 a.m., when I had school.

Thank you for the detailed review, Bianka.

Return to “Children's Books”