Official Review: The Story Of Autumn by Anne E. Reardon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: The Story Of Autumn by Anne E. Reardon

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Story Of Autumn" by Anne E. Reardon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I was young, my mother gave me a book of Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories. I was so fascinated with the origin tales that it doesn't take much to bring them back to mind. And so it was that all of those great yarns came rushing back to my memory when I read Anne E. Reardon's book, The Story of Autumn, and witnessed the creation of new words in a similar fashion.

In this children's story, the focus is on a tree that is unlike any other in the forest. The highfalutin evergreen trees refuse to be friends with her, or even acknowledge her presence, because she's so different from them. Despite her initial sadness, Autumn manages to hold her leaves up, keeping a mostly sunny disposition and making the forest a better home for all.

In our current climate of bullying, I thought this was a wonderful story about staying positive even when not accepted by one's peers. Even though the evergreens wouldn't talk to Autumn, a friendly squirrel named Skippy befriended her and even helped her come up with a name. The situation wasn't ideal, and Autumn continued to wish she had other trees to talk to, but she made the most of what she had. Eventually, Autumn had a lot of animal friends, and the friends would occasionally stand up for her against the evergreens, going so far as to "white out on" - use your imaginations - the unyielding evergreens. Being the gracious tree that she was, she'd admonish her aviary friends and ask them not continue engaging in such behavior.

I loved the way that Ms. Reardon brought life to everyone in the forest. She often wrote about Autumn and the evergreens bending over, using their limbs as arms, and otherwise moving in human ways. She even wrote about how Autumn would sometimes be weighed down by the heavy sap within her. Also, as noted above, there were some words that were given interesting genesis stories, and I couldn't help but chuckle at the animals and Autumn's ingenuity.

The thing I found most creative about The Story of Autumn was Anne's call for young readers to illustrate the book themselves. There were blank pages every few pages with prompts on what to draw or paste into the spaces. For instance, one prompt read, "Draw or paste a picture of your forest floor with flowers and butterflies." I loved how these instructions were designed to bring out the creativity in young minds. One of the readers could very well be a future illustrator of children's books with the seed having been planted from reading this story. I should add that there was one hiccup in that one of the prompts fell right in the middle of a sentence. I tried the file on two different readers, and it appeared that way on both, so it seemed to be a formatting issue.

Sadly, this book needs more work in the editing arena, as it is full of grammatical errors, mostly of the punctuation variety. There are also a few instances of singular words that should have been written in the plural form. Due to these typographical errors, I am forced to give this yarn 3 out of 4 stars. Since this is a tale for the younger set, I strongly urge the author to have this tome professionally edited so that it can meet the high standards for children's books.

Despite the myriad missteps in The Story of Autumn, I am happy to recommend this story to children on the higher end of the recommended age range (6-12) because the book is short, but the pages are full of text and contain complex words. Alternately, parents can read the book to younger children, perhaps turning it into a series of mini-stories, spread out over the course of a week. I also think it would be fun for children to come up with their own ideas on what they want to draw, perhaps in tandem with their parents' ideas, using drawing paper as their canvas. This book would be great for readers of any age who are being bullied as well, as I'm sure there's something to be learned from Autumn's consistent refusal to lower herself to the evergreens' levels, thereby keeping a bad situation from turning into an even worse one.

The Story Of Autumn
View: on Bookshelves

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

I love the plot of this book I think it's something very creative and sweet but at the same time useful for a child to read. The illustration part thought got my attention! I think it's very fresh and it helps children use their imagination and skills. If they correct the errors I'm more than happy to read this with my students. Thank you for your review you've been very helpful!
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I LOVED the Just So stories too! I hope the author sorts out the editing - we can't have enough of these types of books around :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I agree with you. This book seems to be a great tool to be used in this current climate of bullying. I love how the author included a bit of humor in the story because, often times, books can be better companions than friends. Any book that has the ability to stir up positive emotions in a person struggling with such abuse is a great book to have on the shelf!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

"Autumn manages to hold her leaves up." Beautiful and moving! This seems like a creative story that teaches some important lessons to the target age group. Thanks for an intriguing and interesting review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love that this book is interactive! I know when I was a child, I really would have enjoyed that. Plus, it sounds like the book has great themes that are so needed. Too bad about the editing, though. That always brings my enthusiasm down a notch. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

It's awesome how this book is a combination of fun and lessons all in one. I am sure many parents together with children will appreciate this read. Thanks for the review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Sabena Lemoine
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sabena Lemoine »

The story of this book sounds interesting to apply in our life. To teach children the good values on how to be a good person, how to be nice instead of bullying. How to be a positive person if someone down you, despite on it you have still kindness to offer for them when they need help.
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

I agree with what you said about bullying and I also like that the author encourages her audince to be creative too bad for a children's book that there are grammatical errors.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Sounds like such a beautiful book for young children. The imagery of trees as human is too pretty! I am sure the book conveys the educational aspects very clearly, as well. A pity that the editing part needs to be taken care of. Thanks for the review!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

In our current climate of bullying, I thought this was a wonderful story about staying positive even when not accepted by one's peers. Even though the evergreens wouldn't talk to Autumn, a friendly squirrel named Skippy befriended her and even helped her come up with a name. The situation wasn't ideal, and Autumn continued to wish she had other trees to talk to, but she made the most of what she had. Eventually, Autumn had a lot of animal friends, and the friends would occasionally stand up for her against the evergreens, going so far as to "white out on" - use your imaginations - the unyielding evergreens. Being the gracious tree that she was, she'd admonish her aviary friends and ask them not continue engaging in such behavior.
Self-acceptance and showing kids a healthy way to deal with bullying is so important in this day and age! I absolutely love the idea and the fact that it encourages kids to let their imagination loose and get creative.
It's quite unfortunate that it has so many mistakes because kids absorb what they read but, hopefully, the author will take your comments into account and make the necessary changes.
Thank you for sharing your personal experience, it enriches the review very much.
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

This reminds about my childhood and the poems and stories I used to read. Thanks for the review.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I am amazed by the trees and what they stand for, love the colours of autumn, believe that bullying should cease to be, and like your review. Thank you for an insightful piece.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

Oooh what a creation! Now I want to be a tree. Lovely an moving indeed. So many lessons can be learned from the story. Very good review too.

Return to “Children's Books”