Official Review: Where Do We Come From? Where Do We Go?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Where Do We Come From? Where Do We Go?

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Where Do We Come From? Where Do We Go?" by Dr. Kathleen carterMartinez.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have your children ever experienced the loss of someone dear to them? Have they ever questioned you about life and death? Dr. Kathleen Carter Martinez has written an informative book which explains these delicate subjects in a way that youngsters can easily understand them. Her book is entitled Where Do We Come From? Where Do We Go?

It depicts the conversation between a little girl and her mother. Esakoi has some interesting questions that she needs to be answered before she can go to bed. For instance, where do people go after they die? Esakoi’s mom explains the significance of the sky world while reassuring her daughter that love is eternal among family members regardless if they live on Earth or in the sky.

I liked that the author chose a unique approach to writing this book. Instead of writing a story, she centered the book on a conversation between two main characters. Her style of writing was very poetic so this added a whimsical feel to the characters’ dialogue. In addition to the things they said, the characters’ thoughts were included. This made them seem more realistic and relatable.

I really enjoyed looking at the illustrations in this book. Polina Hrytskova’s unique style of illustrating perfectly captured the love between Esakoi and her relatives. In the pictures, the characters displayed affectionate body language like hugging and smiling. The intricate illustrations of flowers, stars, swirls, and leaves which decorated the pages also enhanced the author’s whimsical style of writing.

I think this is a great book to help children cope with the loss of a loved one. The information that the author provided was simple for children to understand. More often than not, explanations of death and the afterlife can be religiously intertwined so it was a relief that she did not take a religious approach to describe them. Instead, she spoke about how the beauty of nature can remind us of our deceased loved ones. I appreciated this because this book can be useful to every parent and child who have experienced loss in their lives regardless of their religious beliefs. Moreover, I would recommend this book to terminally ill children because I think it may provide comforting answers to questions they might have.

After careful observation of the layout and the text, I am certain that this book was professionally edited because I only saw two minor typographical errors. The author’s unique style of writing together with the book’s imaginative illustrations and its ability to comfort a wide range of readers make it a valuable addition to any child’s bookshelf. It definitely deserves 4 out of 4 stars.

Where Do We Come From? Where Do We Go?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is definitely a subject that needs to be approached with children. However, my concern comes from the fact that many religions, and thus many people, have different views of where people come from and go to. So, it seems that this book would be for a limited audience. I guess I'd have to read it to see how she approaches it. Still, I have no children, and this book isn't for me. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

My son is currently too young to understand the content offered in this book. However, I am honestly interested in reading the material for my own benefit! It sounds like a lovely discussion for such a sad topic.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I also think this book will be suitable to the parents much more than the child. Great review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed your lovely description of the book. I don't agree with the author's basic premise. I believe death does have a religious significance. Thanks for your honest review.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This sounds like an excellent book to support children in coming to grips with mortality. Thanks for a great review!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

This book presents such a difficult subject in a lighthearted manner which will be beneficial when read to inquisitive children, kids are also going to love the fact that it is poetic which might even distract them from the actual topic. Parents will also benefit from it because no matter how difficult the topic of life and death is, it still has to be said. Great review.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

The topics of life and death are crucial, more-so when explaining it to children. I like the author does this in an easy to understand manner. This read isn't for me though. Thanks for the review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

I think discussion about life and death are crucial for children and by people who are closest to them just like Eskoi and her mom.

Return to “Children's Books”