Official Review: Isabel wants to patty-cake by Ale Lukaszew

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Isabel wants to patty-cake by Ale Lukaszew

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Isabel wants to patty-cake" by Ale Lukaszew.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What's the best part of the internet? Access to free knowledge on a whim? Being able to talk to people across the world with a few button presses? Nah, it's definitely the adorable animal pictures and (usually) hilarious memes!

Isabel Wants to Patty-Cake by Ale Lukaszew combines two of my loves into one 32-page book: children's books and kitties! Isabel is an adorable little kitten that occasionally looks derpy in the best of ways. The book begins with Isabel going to her new home after being adopted, and she immediately looks around for someone to play patty-cake with. In the process, she learns that the toilet paper roll makes a mess when she plays patty-cake with it, that the other kitties around are busy or don't want to play, and that even the adults are too busy watching TV or on their phone to play with her. Will she find someone to play with, or will she always feel a bit out of place in her new home?

This is an absolutely adorable children's book for early readers. As soon as I saw that it used photos of the author's real cats and family I was sold on it, but the story itself quickly goes from random silliness to sweet playfulness. Until I was about 70% of the way through the book I assumed this was one of those children's books with no deeper meaning, but then it hit hard all at once.

I appreciated that Isabel Wants to Patty-Cake doesn't force any rhymes. In fact, it doesn't rhyme at all! Instead, the text is free to say whatever it wants without any awkward phrasing. I also really liked that the story works as an introduction to all of Isabel's family members. Ophelia is a loner, Spooky just wants to relax, and Santiago is bossy. We're even introduced to Isabel's human family members, and it was rather refreshing that the author didn't try to make themselves a big part of the book. Instead, the only interaction Isabel has with Ale in the book is when Ale is too busy watching TV or getting ready to go out.

Isabel Wants to Patty-Cake is a really adorable children's book. It's a no-brainer for parents of children who love cats, but it's also a great choice for those who want to teach their kids about friendship. I only saw one grammatical error: "He bosses everybody!" should have been something like "He bosses everybody around" or "He's the boss!" The rest of the book is well written and both the text and images are easy to see. Without any other negatives to mention, my rating is 4 out of 4 stars!

Isabel wants to patty-cake
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Isabel sounds absolutely darling. I want to read this book just to see her, and I'm not even the right age for the book! Thanks for another good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

I'm always on the lookout for great children's books, and I think this one sounds so cute! Like any human should, I adore cats, so I feel like this book is the purrfect fit for me!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

This is an intriguing Children's book. The cover pages tells it all. I will definitely read this book. Amazing review!
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I imagine parents may learn a thing or two from this book as well.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I love cats. I want to read this book! Thanks for a cat-tivating review!!
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

This sounds so cute, it sounds like a book to end a busy day with. i will be ready this so that Isabel can put a smile on my face. Great review.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

This book sounds amazing and that it has a teachable moment is an added bonus. I am sure parents will appreciate this read.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Willy 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willy-1.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Willy 1 »

Cats are adorable. The book sounds amazing. I hope the book contains enough pictures so kids would love it. Good review.
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

Oh! Just by reading your review I feel like this book is totally adorable! It's also nice that the author chose to use her own kitties as illustration.
Olaoluwa_oso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olaoluwa-oso.html
Latest Review: The Misadventures Of Jimmy Crookshank by D.R. Blair

Post by Olaoluwa_oso »

Children book with an adorable cat will definitely be interesting. Good review.
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

I think little kids will enjoy this book specially those who love kittens! Thanks for a wonderful review.

Return to “Children's Books”