Official Review: The Scary Snow Day by Kyle Derby Pratt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: The Scary Snow Day by Kyle Derby Pratt

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Scary Snow Day" by Kyle Derby Pratt.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Compared to that hill, he was so short and so small; was he brave enough to go? He wasn’t sure at all."
In The Scary Snow Day, children's author Kyle Derby Pratt introduces us to Timmy, a young boy who wakes one wintry morning to find that school has been canceled! Seizing the unexpected opportunity - and his sled - our hero rushes outside to try conquering the huge, snowy hill down the road from his house. Will Timmy's fear prove even larger than that hill?

This book and Timmy are, in a word, adorable. The straightforward, relatable plot will enable children to easily empathize with Timmy. I know I did, especially when he imagines himself dwarfed by the looming hill he hopes to sled down. The ABCB rhyme scheme, with one "stanza" per page, will tickle the ears of young listeners and engage new readers. I think people of all ages can relate to Timmy's waffling between excitement and self-doubt in the face of his goal. On that note, I would suggest a question or two at the end for adults and kids to talk about after reading the book. For example, "Do you sometimes feel like Timmy, afraid to try something? What can you do to squash those fears?"

The best features of Pratt's book, in my opinion, are Lauren Scott's colorful, eye-catching illustrations. Timmy's wistful blue eyes are the reason I felt for him when he gazed longingly out his window, wondering if he could overcome his nervousness. I also appreciate that the large, high-contrast text is smoothly legible against the pictures, which is easier on young (and old) eyes.

All gushing aside, though, The Scary Snow Day needs a proofreader's attention. While I didn't see any misspelled words, I found several errors related to the use (or lack of) commas, hyphens, and ellipses. I feel that impeccable editing is very important in a children's book, as the intended audience is learning correct spelling and punctuation through reading. Also, a couple of the rhymes sounded forced to me, although that may not bother little kids. I did catch one inconsistency in the illustrations: Timmy's room has rocket-ship wallpaper, but on page 10, the rockets are gone, only to reappear on page 11.

These issues forced me to remove a star from my rating, but the book's images, plot, and universal life lesson made me wish I could award it 3.5 stars. Since that isn't an option, I happily give The Scary Snow Day, by Kyle Derby Pratt, 3 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend it to all people who want to encourage the kids in their lives to face challenges with confidence.

The Scary Snow Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like SamSim's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds like a great theme for kids, but I agree the editing needs fixed.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I like your idea about adding discussion topics at the end of the story to create an interactive read for children to discuss with their parents.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed all your gushing! It makes me want to read this book. Timmy sounds like a lovable character. Thanks for the excellent review.
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

I feel that impeccable editing is very important in a children's book I agree with you. Authors who write children's book should really be careful and see to it that their work is thoroughly edited.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

It's such a pleasure to share a beautifully illustrated children's book with little ones. I enjoyed your review and hope the author will make the improvements you suggested.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

Jessacardinal wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 18:45 I like your idea about adding discussion topics at the end of the story to create an interactive read for children to discuss with their parents.
Thank you! I just noticed recently that the books my kindergartner borrows from school have questions at the end, so now I wish they all did.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

teacherjh wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 11:29 It sounds like a great theme for kids, but I agree the editing needs fixed.
Don't get me wrong - I highly recommend it, but I would be remiss to leave out editing. Thank you for reading and commenting!
Samantha Simoneau

Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

kdstrack wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 21:51 I enjoyed all your gushing! It makes me want to read this book. Timmy sounds like a lovable character. Thanks for the excellent review.
It is definitely easy to relate to and root for him. Thank you for reading and replying!
Samantha Simoneau

Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

nonamer_miss wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 01:40 I feel that impeccable editing is very important in a children's book I agree with you. Authors who write children's book should really be careful and see to it that their work is thoroughly edited.
This is true. The spelling, however, is perfect in this book - only punctuation was an issue, but I would still read this one to my kids because, overall, it's wonderful. Thanks for reading and commenting!
Samantha Simoneau

Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

Cecilia_L wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 08:34 It's such a pleasure to share a beautifully illustrated children's book with little ones. I enjoyed your review and hope the author will make the improvements you suggested.
This book is so uplifting and charming, I wish there was nothing to detract a star. Thank you for reading and commenting!
Samantha Simoneau

Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

This book sounds like a great way to get kids to give words to their inner anxieties and discuss their feelings. Overall, the book sounds like a fantastic read for children.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

Darlynn_Tebogo wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 13:30 This book sounds like a great way to get kids to give words to their inner anxieties and discuss their feelings. Overall, the book sounds like a fantastic read for children.
I agree! Thank you for reading and commenting!
Samantha Simoneau

Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Just looking at the cover makes me feel that that hill is very scary. The lesson about facing fears is a good one. It reminds me of an idea I had for a book when I was a child, only it was about diving. Unfortunately, I never wrote more than two pages.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 14:16 Just looking at the cover makes me feel that that hill is very scary. The lesson about facing fears is a good one. It reminds me of an idea I had for a book when I was a child, only it was about diving. Unfortunately, I never wrote more than two pages.
You should finish writing it! :D Thanks for reading and replying!
Samantha Simoneau

Return to “Children's Books”