Official Review: Weasley weasel forgives whitney

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 330
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: Something’s Eating The Garden by Pam Fries

Official Review: Weasley weasel forgives whitney

Post by bookowlie » 09 Jan 2019, 14:30

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Weasley weasel forgives whitney" by Aphina Mawo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wesley Weasel Forgives Whitney is a children’s picture book by Aphina Mawo. It is Book #4 in the Lessons from the Jungle series. Wesley is a young weasel whose fur looks different from the other weasels in the jungle. Unfortunately, this makes him the target of mean-spirited teasing by Whitney, another young weasel. She constantly makes fun of Wesley in every way imaginable – the way he looks, walks, and talks. Of course, this makes Wesley very sad. The plot thickens when Whitney finds herself in danger.

I enjoyed this well-written story which contains universal lessons about forgiveness and kindness. The author effectively shows how these values have been instilled in the main character by his mother. There is also an interesting twist that heightens the suspense.

The author should be applauded for crafting an entertaining story featuring a weasel. This might spark a child’s interest in learning more about this unique animal. Actually, I found myself looking up facts about weasels after finishing the book.

Young children would find this story easy to understand. There are a few advanced words (e.g. – “erupted”), but the vocabulary is somewhat simple, for the most part. I also like the way the text is displayed inside pale-colored shapes. This format would help children focus on the words rather than the surrounding pictures.

The colorful illustrations tie in nicely with the plot. As for the text, the font is a bit lackluster for a children’s story. It looks like a standard font commonly used in adult books and doesn’t seem like a good fit with the vibrant artwork.

This book has earned a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It's an interesting read with a valuable moral. The story is edited well; I spotted only one minor error. I would recommend it to children ages 4-8, due to the short length and simple storyline. The book would particularly appeal to kids who enjoy stories that showcase unusual animals. Parents or teachers could read it aloud and discuss the major themes.

On a side note, I want to mention a correction and slight mystery regarding the exact title of the book. First, there is a typo in one of the words in the title on the OBC list of review books – it should be “Wesley Weasel” instead of “Weasley Weasel.” Also, it’s unclear in what order the first two words should be in. On Amazon, the title is “Wesley Weasel Forgives Whitney,” but the copyright page in the book shows it as “Weasel Wesley Forgives Whitney.” To make things more confusing, the word sequence is unclear as displayed on the cover. I decided to use the title that is stated on Amazon. This way it would be easier to do an Amazon search if someone is interested in the book.

Weasley weasel forgives whitney
View: on Bookshelves

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

Rose Harebate
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Rose Harebate » 25 Jan 2019, 13:26

A Children's book with morals is a must read. If forgiveness and kindness were adopted by everyone, then the world would be a better place. Nice review.

Jessacardinal
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: Winning The War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Jessacardinal » 25 Jan 2019, 13:33

I recently encountered a similar issue with book title discrepancies. I wonder how so many different versions can be released. It seems a bit careless.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

chewy4uto
2019 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading: Call of the Couch
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chewy4uto.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by chewy4uto » 25 Jan 2019, 15:03

It's so nice someone is writing a children's book with a much needed message. Children need to read books with a moral message. I applaud your review and the author.

kandscreeley
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Raven Dock by Sara Caldwell

Post by kandscreeley » 25 Jan 2019, 15:23

It's interesting about the title. I can see the OBC page and Amazon differing, but it's really odd that the title differs from the cover to the title page. All in all, it sounds like a really fun book for children. I want to learn more about the weasel myself. I don't know much about them. It's too bad the author didn't take advantage of picking a fun font. Thanks for another wonderful children's book review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by kdstrack » 25 Jan 2019, 19:38

I love the alliteration in the title. It is also interesting that the author would choose a weasel to teach forgiveness. This book interests me. Thanks for a wonderful review!

Anthony__
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Anthony__ » 25 Jan 2019, 21:57

This is really a nice story. I love how the author uses of the unique animal, weasel, to teach forgiveness and kindness. Great review!

gali
Site Admin
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 15
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Places in the Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 1895
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » 26 Jan 2019, 00:50

A story featuring a weasel? Sounds like a cute book for kids. Entertaining story, colorful illustrations, and meaningful lessons make for a good story. That it was well edited is another plus. Hopefully, the title discrepancies will be fixed. Great review as always! :)
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by Cecilia_L » 26 Jan 2019, 13:19

This sounds like a fun way to teach children about kindness and forgiveness. Thanks for the entertaining review.

THarveyReadALot
2019 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading: Bear Company (Dark Corps) (Volume 1)
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tharveyreadalot.html
Latest Review: No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson
Reading Device: B07G92J7J3

Post by THarveyReadALot » 26 Jan 2019, 16:41

Looks like a good book! I think the title should be 'Wesley Weasel Forgives Witney'. 'Wesley' would stand as the animal's 'first' name and 'Weasel' as his 'second' name. :) Maybe I should bookmark this title and look for a copy of it for my nieces and nephews!
I don't understand, however, the '4 out of 4' rating if the reviewer found a few problems with the book such as a spelling error and a non-attractive text font.

nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss » 28 Jan 2019, 08:40

I believe we should inculcate morals such as being forgiving and kind on children as soon as possible so that it will stay in them when they grow up and having these morals on children's book is a nice way of teaching them. Thanks for the review!

bookowlie
Currently Reading:

Post by bookowlie » 28 Jan 2019, 12:13

Thanks everyone for the feedback! It's always nice when a children's story can be both entertaining and educational.
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

bookowlie
Currently Reading:

Post by bookowlie » 28 Jan 2019, 13:02

THarveyReadALot wrote: ↑
26 Jan 2019, 16:41
Looks like a good book! I think the title should be 'Wesley Weasel Forgives Witney'. 'Wesley' would stand as the animal's 'first' name and 'Weasel' as his 'second' name. :) Maybe I should bookmark this title and look for a copy of it for my nieces and nephews!
I don't understand, however, the '4 out of 4' rating if the reviewer found a few problems with the book such as a spelling error and a non-attractive text font.
Thanks for taking the time to read my review and post a comment! One typo (or even a few minor ones) would not justify a lower rating. Also, the text is in a standard font. It's not unattractive; instead, it was my subjective view that a livelier font might have been a better fit with the vibrant pictures. The font is not something that would cause me to lower the rating, unless it was difficult to see. The most important things are the story itself and, as a children's picture book, the accompanying artwork.

THarveyReadALot
2019 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading: Bear Company (Dark Corps) (Volume 1)
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tharveyreadalot.html
Latest Review: No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson
Reading Device: B07G92J7J3

Post by THarveyReadALot » 29 Jan 2019, 22:56

Okay, I understand. Thanks for the reply.

linham02660
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 77
Currently Reading: The Sparrow
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linham02660.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by linham02660 » 30 Jan 2019, 18:14

Refreshing to see a children's book teaching morals and values. They are becoming obsolete in today's world. I might give it a read. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Children's Books”