Official Review: Spring Brings Life by Cedra Lewis Baird

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Spring Brings Life by Cedra Lewis Baird

Post by Cristina Chifane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Spring Brings Life" by Cedra Lewis Baird.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Spring Brings Life by Cedra Lewis Baird is a delightful poetry book for children. Written with the intention of filling a void in classroom materials, this short collection is both educational and entertaining. Although it is winter now, the book is so refreshing that it made me feel a warm breeze of spring. Some of the lines even reminded me of famous spring poems of classic writers such as Wordsworth, Browning, Whitman, Dickinson, or Frost.

Dedicated to spring and the rebirth of nature, Cedra Lewis Baird’s book includes ten poems written in rhyming couplets. All poems are centered in the middle of distinct pages beautifully framed with images characteristic of the season. Moreover, each poem is accompanied by a full page of skillfully designed illustrations. What I genuinely enjoyed about the book is precisely the perfect match between the beautiful illustrations and the content of the poems. Such a combination will most probably help children understand the message of the text much better.

There was not a single poem I found less charming than the other. The writer makes use of visual, auditory, and olfactive images to describe the miracle and beauty of spring. The poem “A Reason for the Season” focuses on the gradual passage from winter to spring: “As spring inches in with all her glory,/ She comes to tell a different story.” All the other poems make up the amazing story of a season best defined by an incredible passion for life in all its forms and manifestations.

Colorful images spring to mind when reading poems such as “Spring Brings Life”, “The Rainbow”, “Cherry Blossoms”, or “My Heart Surrenders”. Exclamatory and imperative sentences (“Oh, what a sight!”, “Happy to be free at last!”, or “Spring into action, everyone!”) build an atmosphere full of dynamism and optimism. I could not find anything negative about this book. On the contrary, it filled my heart with joy and positivism. I was more than pleased to read the poems dedicated to children’s activities in spring (“Enjoy Spring Fun”, “Spring Action”, or “The Spring Express”). Onomatopoeic words and action verbs punctuate the text, urging children to enjoy spring in the middle of nature. The illustrations show children of different races and religions having fun together. This is a great way to promote cultural diversity, mutual acceptance and intercommunication.

I warmly recommend this poetry collection to both kindergarten and primary school children. On the one hand, parents and teachers could read the poems together with the kids. On the other hand, second and third graders could read the poems by themselves. Thus, they can improve their reading skills and develop their imagination. The book is an excellent classroom asset too. Children learn to love and understand nature and natural phenomena. They get familiar with names of plants and animals. I am sure they would also be thrilled to learn the colors of the rainbow in a lyrical manner (“The Rainbow”) or to read about the metamorphosis of a caterpillar into a butterfly (“Mr. Caterpillar”).

In most of the poems, the vocabulary is simple and accessible to children. However, there are a few difficult words such as “sphere” and “beautify”. In this particular case, children, especially younger ones, may need an adult’s help. Sentences are short and easy to memorize. Children could learn them by heart for a spring festival or celebration at school. Since the book is exceptionally well edited too, I have all the reasons to give it 4 out of 4 stars. The highest rating reflects the merits of a children’s author who manages to make learning an enjoyable and rewarding activity.

Spring Brings Life
View: on Bookshelves

Like cristinaro's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

Spring Brings Life sounds like a beautiful book. Thank you for the thorough review!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Jessacardinal wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 14:59 Spring Brings Life sounds like a beautiful book. Thank you for the thorough review!
It sure is. It certainly put a smile on my face. :) Thanks for your comment!
esthersamone
Favorite Book: Small Change
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esthersamone.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by esthersamone »

All the other poems make up the amazing story of a season best defined by an incredible passion for life in all its forms and manifestations.
This is already helping so much in demystifying poetry. Good review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Perhaps if I had a book like this when I was a child, I would enjoy poetry more as an adult! I love the subject, too, as spring is just about my favorite season! I could do with some spring right about now in this cold winter. Thanks so much for a great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

esthersamone wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 06:25
All the other poems make up the amazing story of a season best defined by an incredible passion for life in all its forms and manifestations.
This is already helping so much in demystifying poetry. Good review.
Thanks. I grew up with poetry and maybe this is the reason why I think kids will be more likely to learn one thing or another through poems. Besides, it's fun too.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 09:25 Perhaps if I had a book like this when I was a child, I would enjoy poetry more as an adult! I love the subject, too, as spring is just about my favorite season! I could do with some spring right about now in this cold winter. Thanks so much for a great review.
I know you're not exactly a fan of poetry, so thanks for your words. :) The strange thing is I was thinking of the same two things when I read the book: the poems I used to read and learn when I was a kid and whether spring is, after all, my favorite season. Anyway, the book reminded me of my own childhood and lifted my spirits up.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

My love for poetry is keeps increasing with various reviews I'm reading. Your review has piqued my interest in this book. I'm sure I'll enjoy this book. Thanks for your honest review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

T_stone wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 18:38 My love for poetry is keeps increasing with various reviews I'm reading. Your review has piqued my interest in this book. I'm sure I'll enjoy this book. Thanks for your honest review
Thanks for your kind words. I do think poetry is one of the most sincere forms of artistic representation. In other words, it's good for the soul. :)
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I loved your description of the relationship between the poems and the illustrations. This gives children a positive experience with poetry. I would love to gift this book to my nieces and nephews. Thanks for a wonderful review.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I would recommend this children'so read to my junior cousins. I appreciate your informative and well-worded review.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

I admire the author's ability to present the poems in such a way that none of them was less charming than the other.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It sounds a very interesting poetry book for children. Though, I have little interest in poetry. But after reading your positive review, I am developing my interest to read this one. Thanks for this awesome review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Children's Books”